rfsod48

Firearms

The 80 pound Husky in our case is a big deterrent.

Anyone who enters any type of dwelling where a dog is barking is just a fool.

Joe S,

I once asked a postal employee if they would want me in their facility, armed and with a license to carry, when someone comes in with a weapon and they all agreed that they would like to have me there.  Unfortunately that cannot be the case.  Staying in military RV parks does not give one the option of having a weapon and that is about 90-95% of the military bases.  It is just not worth the hassle one gets if a search is done and a weapon is found.   I wish I had a retired LEO badge as it would open up a lot of other doors.

We have been traveling and camping in various forms since 1974.  I can honestly say that in all that time I have never felt threatened while on the road or camping.  However, it is an insurance when carrying that should something happen one could be prepared and possibly minimize innocent casualties.

2 hours ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

WildBill,

What amazes me is that so many times it would appear that folks fail to read the details. I stated for that sawed off shotgun, "it was legal length" not only that it, stated loaded with "a bear load, rubber shot" No one even noticed that or commented. It is racking the shell that is the big deterant. I will add that though in the coach no shell in the chamber.

Tom,

Most of the time I feel safe enough alright, but today is a whole lot different than nearly 40 years ago;. I will wager there have been a lot of people involved in the mass shootings that felt "safe enough" being where they were just prior to all the action, and to say nothing about those that lost their lives.

Carl,

Step down might not work for that 18 year old but it is that 1/10 pf a second that was gained that could make the difference on being well or harmed. When racing if adding 2 pounds of air in to a tire made the difference between a win and a loss would you ignore it, NO. It is the accumulation of the 1/10s that make the difference.  Having that dang thing down at times is a real pain for sure and is it down all the time, NO, but there are times when it seems prudent.

Then there is that small unobtrusive can of pepper spray close by that is probably a better deterant yet

Well yes I did see the part about legal length, but is it? By the way you weren't the only one talking about "sawed off shotguns" . 

Just so you know, BATF has a rod that they drop down the barrel agents the breach face. It has a red ring and you don't want any part of that line to show. 

Bill

Got it...overall length is a touch longer than the requirement . As for the red line I do not know but had it done professionally so assume, right never assume, it was done as required.

Wayne, I agree totally so may people just stand back and avoid getting involved.

12 hours ago, aztec7fan said:

To answer the original question, no, we do not have any weapons, except for a compound and recurve bow for one if my kids. Not knocking you folks who choose to have one (or several), just never felt the need. 

The most threatened we ever felt since my parents began motorhoming in the 1960s, was when a drunk homeless person tried to board our Fitzjohn coach, thinking it was a commercial bus.  Our min-pin (dog), bit him on the finger, and scared him away.

Chris G.

F3508s

Careful on the archery gear. Some locations may restrict those as well, since they are weapons. For us, we usually have recurves on hand, since they live in the rv, but the strings can be locked up if we are in a restricted location. May not be 100% compliant, but seems like a logical solution. I would ask the PTB, but one never knows who will answer.

I agree in the past I didn't feel a need to have a weapon in my coach.   Just a couple of months ago in the Lake of the Ozarks RV park in Mo a man went crazy and shot and killed two people.  In that case I would want some sort of protect if he decided I was next on his list and was trying to gain access my coach.  I wouldn't jump out and play John Wayne and hunt the guy down but I would protect my family.  I have stayed in the very park about two years ago.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Police-investigate-crime-scene-at-Lake-Ozark-RV-park-456153773.html

Dennis.  We wanted to stay there on our way to Indy....no vacancy!  We stayed in Little Rock instead. :)

Short shot gun = big pattern & lots of damage in coach, don't know if insurance will cover that. :unsure:

Linda always has a can or two of Wasp & Hornet spray, think that would work better that "Pepper Spray"...Joe might be able to answer that !

Wayne.  80 pound husky that may/may not lick you to death, I would not want to test that theory! Ouch!

Carl, OO buckshot is a good home defense round, good stopping power and because of fewer pellets less incidental damage. Also in spite of what others have said the racking of a round is a psychological deterrent. I would love to use my Mossberg Mag 10 with 3 1/2” shell but weight and size make it impractical.:). I think the most important decision is if you are going to arm yourself be trained with which ever weapon you chose and maintain proficiency.

Since Linda is still known within the Shotgun skill competition, has not participated in the last 6 years, I let her do her thing....3  custom fitted and made (English) shotguns.  I only know that in CA.  You can hunt deer with a 12 ga. using solid slug! Maybe that has changed now....

Proficiency is no problem, when you have your own range!  I practice with my rifles, hate to miss a deer at any range and I'll be hunting Tuesday.

I'll just add this, I have been well trained, I have a concealed carry permit that is good in about 34 states currently. I only go where it is legal to carry mine, and will stay away from the states and other countries that it is illegal for me to carry. Yes I carry in my motorhome and even to church on Sunday, have been doing this for quite a number of years, and no when someone sees me they will never have a clue that it is there. I work in 35 different courthouses around my state, my firearm is the last thing that I take off before entering, and the first thing that I put back on when leaving. I am not paranoid but have had to get it out on three occasions over those years and would not hesitate to use it had the assailents not retreated. I don't believe that everyone should carry, but I certainly hope that the ones that that do have had proper training of when and how to use it. I do have law enforcement officers in the immedient family.

A fully disassembled weapon is not a problem and I doubt that it would be a problem in narrow minded states that seem to hate guns.  They always have have high gun crime rates in spite of their best efforts to keep law abiding citizens from easily acquiring one. I live in a blue state (PA) , with the easiest concealed carry acquisition of a permit in the country. No safety course required. Just pass the Federal Background test and something new to me, a State Patrol check.  Also/ With my unusual name and a clean history, maybe 15 minutes for approval on a gun buy.  Did that at the Freedom Armory in Glen Rock Pa on Tuesday. Walked out of there with a beautiful Smith and Wesson 45 caliber stainless M1911 pistol for just under a grand before state tax. It is gorgeous and impressive. 8 plus 1. We even have open carry although most citizens don't seem to know it. Been carrying a sometimes dissaembled pistol in our motorhome since 1988. Remember/ it is better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Disassembled gun?  Oh!  That's useful..."Hey, Buddy make some coffee and have a seat, while I reassemble my .45"!  

Byron, You might as well leave it assembled as you are taking the same risk. BATF considers if you have all the parts to assemble a working firearm then you do have a firearm. They use this on the guys who have non registered suppressers  to. 

That Smith is a nice piece.

Bill

Have been told that if a gun is in pieces when you cross states like Illinois, NJ, NY etc. you will not be bothered. Maybe someone with a real understanding of situations like that can jump in. My guns are not in pieces around here. Never carried when a trucker. Often had to deliver on Federal installations. Example/ never carry when in a maritime (marine) terminal.

As per the link below if you are legal to own a firearm and traveling from one place where it is legal to another place where it is legal you can cross a state where they dont like it but it must be stored unloaded where it is not readily accessible from the passenger compartment.

§ 926A

Kay,

Texas LTC states it is illegal to carry in a church.

Super8,

That is a Federal law. Now what is the State law.  Doesn't matter what the Federal law is if the State law forbids stopping in that state with a firearm.  One can argue in court but it could be expensive and you may have had to surrender your weapon to state authorities. Then try getting it back.  Conundrum to say the least.

On 11/24/2017 at 11:00 AM, manholt said:

Wayne.  80 pound husky that may/may not lick you to death, I would not want to test that theory! Ouch!

Ah! One never knows.  I will gurantee you that if you make any noise by bumping the motor-home she will let you know she is inside. Her bark is not that of a little kick dog.

Punxsy,

Nice puppy.

p.s., I call the little ones kick dogs because when they are not on a leash and come after us my size 12 sends them scooting.

Just a word about pepper spray, or any type of defensive spray.  Had a rather large drunk individual refuse to cooperate when I told him he was under arrest for DUI.  I am 6'1" and he probably went 6'6" and 300 pounds.  I almost emptied my pepper spray canister onto his face and head and he just laughed at me!  Needless to say it doesn't work on everyone.

Wayne,

My Jack Russel might be smaller but I would guard your crotch if you approached in a menacing fashion. 😁 4 foot jump and very agile. Also smarter than the average thug. 😊

Roland, 4 foot jump on me, he would miss by about 6 inches! :lol::lol:

Punxsy, give him twice the love...you both need it now! :(

Joe, Linda (my SO) suggests wasp spray & a swift kick...use your imagination! :ph34r:

Have never had a problem in any of the 48 states with a gun in my coach.  Have no tickets, been thru countless tire checks, mirror under coach and dog checks inside and out!  When their dog inside, I was asked to remove my dog first...no problems, never any question about "do you have a rifle or pistol"!  Someone is Paranoid! :D

23 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

Wayne,

My Jack Russel might be smaller but I would guard your crotch if you approached in a menacing fashion. 😁 4 foot jump and very agile. Also smarter than the average thug. 😊

Ouch! Hands swing down to protect important areas.  Then drop kick in mid air. But, do you leave him unleashed, that is the question. If leashed I should not have to worry.

You would not have to worry unless I am worried. She takes her clues from me as most dogs do with their humans.

Carl, we are working on adding 6” to jump.  😁