SEAN1951

Collision Reset, Ford E-450, Jayco 283G Class c

Seems that the collision avoidance reset button, (fuel pump reset button) on my V-10 Ford pops for no reason. I have finally learned to reset it and wait 20 seconds before it will turn over and start. If not it will just turn over, also can hear the fuel pump when the key is turned on but no start. Looking for some input on solving this aggravating problem, may need to change her name to SOMETIMES !! Thanks Jim

The sensor tends to be kind of intermittent. Reading up on it and they can be triggered by the slightest bump or not go of if hit with a hammer. 

So You might contact a ford truck service center and see if the part is covered in some way or what other options are available. Some owners use the switch as a way to deter the theft of the truck by tripping it. You know where it is located so I'm not going there.

Hope this helps.

Rich. 

Thanks Rich for replying, I miss explaining the actual operation of this part. It is for a accident to stop the flow of gas in case of fire, as of this moment it is not starting. I was in a thunder storm and a lightning strike was very close and it all started then. It is truly aggravating! I will either replace it or if I can bypass it all together. It is in a tight spot up under the dashboard on the exterior wall passenger side. Definitely no fun! My wife was the one who noticed the message on the frame when I had the front hood open, something about a 20 second reset mode, does it have a fuse, I still don't  have it down to a science. All ideas are very welcomed. Thanks Jim

I suspect it has a fuse in the engine compartment box and possibly a relay...think the lightning fried it...sensor or relay or fuse, or all three if you have the latter 2.  Look in your Ford owners book for fuse location and Jayco owner manual for anything about the sensor (it could be listed in both)! 

Sean, if the fuel cutout switch is tripping on its own you need to look at it, make certain Jayco didn't add something that's resting against it, make certain its fastened property, if all checks out replace it. 

That is a switch that when it senses a bang/shock/extreme vibration it opens the fuel pump circuit. Very simple design. It's highly unlikely its opening due to anything other than a defective switch. Since the unit is so new I'd take it to a Ford dealer for diagnosis. That is part of the chassis, not Jayco, but that doesn't mean Jayco didn't fuss with it, moved it or has something laying against it.