fagnaml

"Level Zero Point Calibration" - LCI Electronic Leveling Controller

Since purchasing my motorhome two years ago, I had presumed the "auto leveling" function of my LCI Electronic Leveling Controller worked "OK" and never checked if my motorhome was actually level.   This past weekend at the LSU-Texas A&M game, my youngest son asked why the water level in the Keurig tank wasn't level (dumb me had never noticed).  So, I pulled my 6" long carpenter level out of my tool box and sure enough, the motorhome is a "half bubble off" sloping to the driver's side after being "automatically" leveled.  A quick Google search this morning of the LCI Level Controller owner's manual has a page long process for setting the "Zero Level Point Calibration" that needs to be completed to assure the automatic level function works properly --> https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/support/manuals/Leveling and Stabilization/Electronic_Hydraulic_Leveling_and_Slideout_Owner_s_Manual1.pdf

Am I the only one that blindly presumed the automatic leveling function work perform properly?   For those that have the LCI Electronic Leveling Controller, have you "gone through" the manual leveling / Zero Level Point Calibration exercise?   I presume that effort doesn't take much time (?).

Thanks for the help and advice!   I failed the Motorhome 101 class pop-quiz on LCI level controllers.....

Mike,

I hate to say this but you know, I can't resist.

Kwikee, HWH, etc. have calibration methods also.  Darn, I though that was common kn:Pwledge.

Wayne -

Thanks for the response.  I'm still not used to all the "fancy stuff" on a motorhome.  For the 30 foot travel trailer I had before my motorhome, the only "auto" part of leveling the trailer was a battery powered drill with socket to use on the scissor jacks!   With my motorhome, I seem to be continually in the phase of  "I don't know what I don't know"!! :unsure:

Back to my original question about the "zero level calibration" effort, I presume I can accomplish that task at my motorhome storage facility that has a well packed gravel surface -- correct?

You know I was foolin' right?

I'm not up on LCI but with the Kwikee I could level then do the calibration and it would work from there.

For the ones on the newer MH to us I have not fooled with it yet but I did notice that once it has stopped leveling it is a little off bubble.  Next time out I'll see what I can do.

Me thinks the new one is LCI also.  I don't know what I don't know, also, and no matter how long I have one I always learn something more.  Unfortunately I forget some of the previous stuff I learned.

I'm looking at the Winnebago Supplement Operators Manual and it has a procedure for "LEVEL ZERO POINT CALIBRAITION" and I'll get back to this thread a little later.

I know a 6 step procedure may appear overwhelming to a tiger but for an Aggie its a simple procedure. You could have stopped anyone wearing maroon and white at the game and they would have happily helped you, because thats what we do. Whoop!:rolleyes:

Jim.  Yeah, like we helped the Longhorns, when we got to La Grange, back in the 60's! :P  Sorry, picture just came to mind...Pre Marvin Zindler,  Channel 13 News! :lol: The Best little house in Texas! :rolleyes:

Mike.  I do mine, Jacks or Air, manually!  Reason is that I want interior of coach level.   When my jacks work, I just use them for stability.  Love your youngest son! :lol:

Have been planning on going to HWH to have my leveling sensors adjusted. However thing just keep popping up that prevent the trip. Until then I will continue to use the "Bob Chalk" method to level. Bob has a Marathon MH with all the bells and whistles. He will sit and manually level his unit. he will get it where he feels it is right and Barbra, his much better half, will open the bath room door. When the door doesn't ghost (swing in or out when opened) he considers the coach level. It may not be scientific, but hay it works.

Say no to swinging doors.:D

Herman 

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Herman.  "Old school" still work! :)

Darn Right. Chalk Boards, wooden pencils and fountain pins. Good enough for Franklin D Roosevelt, good enough for me.

Sorry I may have to explain who FDR was.  :rolleyes:

Herman

1 hour ago, Hermanmullins said:

Darn Right. Chalk Boards, wooden pencils and fountain pins. Good enough for Franklin D Roosevelt, good enough for me.

Sorry I may have to explain who FDR was.  :rolleyes:

Herman

Glad you mentioned you might need to explain FDR - some one might think it stud for ( Fords Do Not Run)

Have a good day !

Rich.

8 hours ago, Hermanmullins said:

Have been planning on going to HWH to have my leveling sensors adjusted. However thing just keep popping up that prevent the trip. Until then I will continue to use the "Bob Chalk" method to level. Bob has a Marathon MH with all the bells and whistles. He will sit and manually level his unit. he will get it where he feels it is right and Barbra, his much better half, will open the bath room door. When the door doesn't ghost (swing in or out when opened) he considers the coach level. It may not be scientific, but hay it works.

Herman 

On our previous coach with HWH, the adjustment was simply about a 6”dia plate with three probes. By adjusting the screws near the probes more or less the jacks could be fine tuned. It is easier if two people work together. One to adjust and the other to extend/retract and read a level. I think it took about 10 minutes. 

9 hours ago, Hermanmullins said:

Herman 

Good heavens, I thought we were the only ones to use the "bathroom door" method.  When the bathroom door is happy, moma's happy.  And when moma's happy, everyones happy.

Okay! I didn't want to give the WAG principle method of leveling so I used the SWAG.  For the WAG, DW lets me know in a certain fashion that the door will not stay opened or closed.  Oops! That was on the last 9 year old coach that was just replaced this year.   Hmmm! New coach has bathroom door also, could it be the WAG again?

Interesting, Carl, I hadn't thought about it but the shower door and cabinet doors are the only swinging doors I have. The half bathe door pivots rather than swing, another Newmar design.

You also have an escape door in bathroom...LOVE that ! :wub:  Why risk breaking a or several bones, jumping or slithering out an inadequate escape window...when you can have door?:angry:

It's nice to see the forum having fun!.  :lol:   Rather than using my bathroom door (which is probably hung crooked ?) I like the "bubble level" my youngest son observed -- the water tank on my Keurig!   I'll just "rotate" the Keurig to point from side to side then front to back on the kitchen counter.  When my 58 year old, highly calibrated eye ball says the water level is "level enough", the motorhome will be level.   I just need to make sure I'm wearing my contact lenses!

Try a skillet on the stove and the DW trying her darnedest to keep the eggs and grease/butter from drifting to the side. 

"Honey, the coach is not level!"

"What side is the grease on"

"Left Front"

"Ok, just a minute!"

"How is it now?"

"Just a little more please.
"Ok, now?"

"That's good."

Sound familiar?