Sign in to follow this  
tmahanna

Fleetwood Quality & Company Support

Newmar issued the following Freightliner recall.

Newmar is recalling certain 2016-2017 Dutch Star and Ventana motorhomes manufactured January 22, 2016, to November 7, 2016, equipped with Cummins ISL engines. These vehicles, built on a Freightliner chassis, have a power steering hose that may be routed incorrectly, and, as a result, the hose may rub against the power stud on the starter motor, possibly causing electrical arcing and a power steering fluid leak.

Electrical arcing in the presence of leaking power steering fluid can increase the risk of a fire.

Newmar will notify owners, and Freightliner dealers will reroute the power steering hose for proper clearance, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 8, 2017. Owners may contact Freightliner customer service at 1-800-547-0712 or Newmar customer service at 1-800-731-8300. Newmar’s number for this recall is 16V 809.

And later issued this one.

Newmar is recalling 1,167 model year 2014 Mountain Aire and 2014-2017 Dutch Star motorhomes built on Freightliner XCR chassis manufactured by Daimler Trucks North America (DTNA). The chassis battery cable mounting bracket may not have been installed correctly. As a result the improperly routed and clipped battery cable can contact the frame rail, possibly chafing and short circuiting.

A battery cable short can increase the risk of a fire.

Newmar will notify owners, and DTNA dealers will inspect and revise the battery cable mounting bracket and cable routing, as necessary free of charge. The recall is expected to begin October 8, 2017. Owners may contact Daimler Trucks North America at 1-800-547-0712 or Newmar customer service at 1-800-731-8300. Newmar’s number for this recall is 17V-451.

With reference to Fleetwood RV's service and factory help.  We have owned our 2004 Fleetwood Providence (39' Diesel Pusher, 4 slides) for some 7 years now.  We have 170,000 miles on it with us being responsible for 135,000 of them.  We have crossed the country East to West and North to South many times. 

We have been extremely impressed with the overall quality and serviceability of the Providence which we understand is a little bit of an upgrade over the same size Discovery.  The Fleetwood factory repair center at Decatur, IN is simply superb.  The quality of service, the pricing of the service and the very gracious welcome is second to none. 

We have met many folks with very high end coaches in our travels.  All have had similar problems to ours over the years with similar mileage.  Very high end Tiffens have had good years and bad so we have been told.  Same with Newmar.  Same with Monaco. 

The Cummins 350 HP ISC has proven to be very good, although if repaired and serviced at a Cummins or Freightliner dealer it is very expensive (nothing to do with Fleetwood.)  The typical minimum charges from Freightliner and Cummins are simply not supported i.e. $285 minimum diagnostic charge for a diode in the Alternator that was already diagnosed by telephone with Cummins rep or $300 minimum charge to change Strut bushings, which local tractor dealer took care of in 30 minutes for $50. 

Back to the subject.  Oftentimes when we had trouble on the road, we were many miles or many days wait from a Fleetwood Dealer or competent mobile mechanic.  I found in every case, a phone call to their Customer Service Center in Decatur IN would put me in contact with someone who could diagnose the problem and give me a quick and possibly at times temporary solution to get us back on the road. 

The folks at their call center are simply fantastic.  We are lucky enough to be able to afford a possibly higher end product if we so desire.  Frankly the help provided by the Factory Repair center and their Call center in Decatur will insure I continue to do business with Fleetwood.  Are there higher quality products, undoubtedly so, however, for the money I will stay with them forever.  Hope this helps.  Paul