hatfieldd

RV Navigation App

DW has the free Trucker Path app on her phone, I've grown to like it. I've learned to ignore features that don't apply to our MH, and focus on the one that are beneficial.

Haven't found an app yet that I liked, but the Garmin 760 seems to be a good unit for us. It is aimed at RV owners, and the user sets a profile with the dimensions and weight of the RV. When the Garmin sets a route it configures it with the vehicle perimeters. When I've driven without using the Garmin to set the route first, it will inevitably start screaming at me about weight restrictions, height restrictions, etc. That's why I try never to go anywhere in the bus without first setting the route - just to easy to make a casual 'shortcut' turn only to find myself on a road with a weight restriction I was unaware of.

I have the previous version of the 760 and after many years of different Navigaion devices the Garmin so far has been the best. I especially like the bigger screen size over the previous models I have had. As Richard said it has all the parameters for an RV.  If you move it from MH to car you can just switch to car mode for navigation.

I have Co-pilot for RV and the 760 RV and compare routes and 99% of the time they are the same route.  We also have a built in Rand McNally that will put you on some back roads that i’m Not comfortable driving on.  The Co-Pilot I can zoom out and see the complete route and adjust it if needed and zoom in to area in question.  I run on a IPad Pro with a 12’ Screen that has cell built in and great option for me eyes.  They are both great options but being able to see the complete route and adjust by dragging the route sets it apart from the 760. 

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 0:00 PM, hatfieldd said:

Has anyone had any experience with an RV GPS Navigation App?   Recommendations?

This usually turns into one of those "Chevy is better than Ford" debates.  We are "planners" when it comes to running around the U.S.A. in a large RV.  IMHO there are some pretty good free I-phone apps that can be helpful when you are sitting around planning a destination or looking up some campgrounds or boondocking sites.   But when using these apps just keep it in mind that they probably are not considering your height, length, and weight.

We use a Trucker's Atlas (available from most Truck Stops or on-line).  I can consult it for the next days route to make sure there are no trouble spots for a rig my size.  Our actual navigation is currently by using a Truck/RV GPS plus the one that came with our Newmar coach.  We like to have one dedicated for the passenger and one just for the driver with the driver's volumn turned off.   

A Truck/RV GPS generally has a larger screen.  You can enter your RV's specifics, like height, weight, length, etc., and it will route you where you are legal.  There are a few really good brands on the market and they have gotten pretty cheap.

I just got my Garmin RV770 today, it contains all sorts of information.

As soon as it charges up I will see how well it plays with BaseCamp.

4 hours ago, Super8mm said:

I just got my Garmin RV770 today, it contains all sorts of information.

As soon as it charges up I will see how well it plays with BaseCamp.

Please post back if you have success with Base Camp. I've always found the software 'extras' that Garmin offers somewhat frustrating, and I'd love to find out if it's just me or if the software just has limitations. Based on my past experience it's likely to be a 'just me' issue.

I have used Basecamp since it came out on my zumo.

It does have some quirks but once you get used to them you can spot them and fix them.  My biggest problem is the GPS reroutes you without asking.

best thing is to know where your turns are so when it tries to get you to exit every off ramp on a right had curve because it is a shorter distance you will know better

I have been using the 770 for about six weeks now between Maine and Mississippi (on mostly secondary roads) and it has proven to work ok.  I am a little concerned that it will occasionally display a message saying "Recreational vehicle restriction unknown ahead" (or something like that - not exactly sure of the wording) on a route it has recommended.  Kind of makes me worry and wonder a little but, like I said, it has not failed me.  Prior (non RV) Garmins got me into several problems with low clearance and weight limits that required turning around.  Have not had that problem with the 770.  Have I had to unhook the toad an turn around - YES but not the fault of the Garmin.

Using it with BaseCamp does work but you will not always get the same route on the device that Basecamp did.  Garmin tells me that is due to different parameters between the two - you cannot set weight, height and lengths in BaseCamp like you can on the device.

Had a problem in northeast Mississippi where the device wanted to route me about ten miles out of the way on a narrow country road versus half a mile to a major road.  Garmin turned the problem over to a "higher level" but admitted it should not have done that.

Would I recommend the 770 to other motorhome owners?  Not having tried other brands specific to RVs I cannot make a good comparison.  Would I buy another? probably

Lenp 

We purchased the Garmin Dezl 770 truck GPS.  It's supposed to provide more accurate routing than the 760/770 for RVs.  It provides all the service centers and truck stops for fueling up.  The Dezl also allows you to configure the vehicle you own for dimensions and weight.  So far it's been very accurate.