funtimebiz

Motorhome Parking At A NYC Airport

Question

Planning on taking a cruise out of NYC in Sept. of 2018. 

Any suggestions where to leave/park the motorhome and towcar at any of the 3 NYC airports (La Guardia, JFK, or Newark) for 7 or 8 nights?

19 answers to this question

FUNTIMEBIZ.  Welcome to the Forum!

I'm confused.  Your sailing out of NYC, but why would you want to park your coach at any of the airports?  Your flying back...I get that.  Are you flying back from England?  I suggest you find a RV Resort or KOA in New Jersey or PA.  There are busses from the NY air ports.  A cab from New Jersey to somewhere NJ or PA is your best bet.  Now, if you want to replace your coach and toad, by all means, pick any one of the Airports.  I have 17 trips on Cunard, from NYC-South Hampton & the reverse. :)

Your other option is to leave your coach in a RV Park and take your toad to the Airport...I would fly in to Newark!  I left my coach in a RV Park in Indiana, for 16 days, July 14 and drove the Jeep to Chicago O'Hare Airport (2 hr drive)!  While we where in Scandinavia.

Just a guess, but I'm not sure you would be allowed to drive a motorhome on to airport property due to security issues. Like Carl said, find a campground in Jersey or PA and bus/taxi to the dock.

OK, thanks for the info. Should have given more details:  prior to the cruise we are joining a group as part of a touring of NYC & then a cruise to see New England fall colors group thing. 

When get back from the cruise would like to get onto the RV and continue our travels.  The group mostly is flying out of NYC after the cruise.  Thus, thought might be easier to just park the RV at the cruise terminal area. 

By the way it'll be the Manhattan terminal (just found out).  Thanks, folks.

Joe, Liberty Harbor won't give their parents a discount and since he would be occupying space in a relatively small park and using electricity, why should they?

20 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

Joe, Liberty Harbor won't give their parents a discount and since he would be occupying space in a relatively small park and using electricity, why should they?

Jim, you sound bitter, I take it you have stayed there before :lol:?

Not bitter....well....maybe a little. When Hurricane Sandy came barreling through and we decided to delay our arrival, sorry, no refunds or credit for a prepaid 5 day stay.

Well, that's NYC for you!  Especially the Mayor...Look the next time we hear from this OP will be after his cruise and I'm still confused.

1.  He's not flying to or from anyplace, but he want's to stay at a airport in NJ, or Long Island.

2.  The group thing is in NYC, then the cruise, group thing is R/T Manhattan.

3.  Is he looking for a Wall Mart?  Don't even know the size of his rig!

Jim, people are tough up in those parts. We stayed there and were pleasantly surprised, if going to NYC that is a great place. Going to bed at night in the coach and looking out the window at the Manhattan lights took some getting used to but was fun.

Taking a coach over the George Washington bridge unless the middle of the night Absolutely NOT. Jersey City is simple. It was also nice waking up looking out the windshield at Lady Liberty.

Personally I have always wanted to go to Coney Island, due to its location NO WAY! Long Island is not an option. 

I spent three days last week commuting to the Bronx from PA, that was an experience that would keep some up at night :lol:. It was like I fell into an episode of Welcome Back Kotter :lol:

Joe, I've been to the Big Apple many times. My late wife was born in Manhattan, graduated Fordham then St Johns. Parents had a small cottage in South Hampton. We spent many summers there, just never took the motorhome because we always had places to stay. Actually, I loved spending time there. 

Quick story, we were having dinner at the Rainbow Room and it was colder than heck outside. The temp in the restaurant had to have been 80 so I took my blazer off. The maitre'd came by I told me I had to keep my jacket on, rule. I asked him to turn the heat down and after him asking me the third time I told him in my best and richest sounding Texan voice, "if you keep messin with me pardner, I'm gonna buy this place just so I can fire you". He left me alone the rest of the evening. 

Yeah, they talk funny in the Bronx, heck, they talk funny everywhere there.:D

Spent a lot of time in the Philly area also. King of Prussia, Plymouth Meeting, Blue Bell and George Washington slept in every house in every one of those places or at least thats what the signs said.

I hope the OP boards his ship ok.

In another life, after my DW passed away, I had a lady friend, who worked in Hollywood, CA. and lived on Long Island, 18 acres and a "Pond"!  First time out there, I flew to JFK and took a cab (I never did that again)!  Next time out I allowed myself to be picked up by a 2 engine plane at Newark Executive Air Terminal.  Driving around the NE part of LI is an experience not to be missed...they are insane and Jim is right, they talk funny, snobbish and waiters behave as they are doing you a favor by doing their job! :blink:

I don't think our OP, has looked at a map...JFK and Newark is not a place to take any size RV at anytime! :wacko::wacko:

Wish we knew what length coach he has? 

Living in NY for years with an RV anywhere from 24 ft - 38 ft take it from me don't even think about driving anything larger than a very short C or B class into NY. If it can't be parked in an underground lot at the pier it's not happening.  Again not knowing what size your unit is I'm going to let you know where we camped.  Croton Point Park is a Westchester County park located in Croton, NY with full hookupssites, but only 30amp service.  You could park there take your tow car down the hill or call a cab to take you to the Metro North Train which is literally down the hill right outside of the park.  Take the train downtown to 33rd Penn Station and another cab to pier.  Just a thought.

lorrayne.  Welcome to the Forum!

Great info for today's NYC.  Since we seldom hear back from OP, perhaps you could help him/her out via PM.  Just hover over Avatar and click on message!

I read somewhere of someone leaving their motorhome at National Gateway National Park at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn NY. Only 14 day max stay .  Dry camping with bus to subway to airport. You cannot use Bely Parkway.

Good Luck

Why would you want to leave anything that you love unattended anywhere in NYC? Baltimore offers cruises to New England  and possibly the Maritime provinces. There are places that you could safely leave an RV  in our area and  drive to the customer parking lot with your  toad. I park long term in a gated storage facility that is  maybe 50 or so miles from  Baltimore area cruise ships. $52  a month for me. Probably would give you a one time  rate for a very good number. If you do not tow, there is a big nearby ( less than five miles) nationwide car rental company . 

Byron.  Cruise ships do round trips from Baltimore to Chicago every fall, Caribbean in winter, Southampton & Harwich, England in Spring, Summer and Fall.

Lot's of RV's park at CC Terminal lot...some private lots have 30A.  Not cheap, but secure!

Wow...my lifelong dream may be possible. Imagine a round trip cruise to Chicago where you could lay on the beach and have drinks with little umbrellas brought to you by the locals. 

Actually, a fall foliage cruise up the St Lawrence IS on our short list.

Not sure we would get as far "uphill" as Lake Michigan and Chicago though.

Although I have lived in and around Baltimore since 1970, I don't cruise  so I know little about where the ships go. I have seen parking cordoned off  in the Dundalk Marine Terminal when an arrival is eminent. Have observed them coming and going various times of the year, because I picked up ocean containers at Dundalk, Seagirt, and even Locust Point terminals.

A Friend. no longer on this earth,took a cruise on the east coast from Baltimore to at least Maine and back. Another person that I worked with mentioned Bermuda on his cruise.

If parking is available on an area marine terminal, that would probably be ok. The authorities (including customs) keep a close watch on things. 

I have traveled into NYC many times over the years , and I have seen what often happens to unattended vehicles. Not just  autos , but also trucks. Why not motorhomes?