Sign in to follow this  
greenbarn1

Slide Out Bangs

Hi gang, brought my bedroom slide in yesterday and right when slide is tightening hard against coach a millisecond before it stops I hear a bang bang then stops. Obviously skipping a gear I assume?  Slide goes out and stops fine but if you hold slide button as usual and let limit switch stop the slide coming in it bangs. My slide is a power gear which has a square metal tube in middle of bedroom slide under my bed that has metal track on bottom of it. I would say it's about 12 inches off floor. My slide motor and gear box are  then bolted to that rail. Slide from outside looks as if it's been pulled very very tight to side of coach. I have a American technologies dual current sensor slide out control box that has amp adjustment fro 37 to 21 amps it was set in the middle I tried turning down to 21 amps but still the same condition. One other thing to mention coach is sitting in New Hampshire in 30 to 40 degree temperatures not sure if that would effect electronics. We leave for Florida this Sunday!! 12 volt battery is reading 14.1 volts    

Carl 2004 American tradition 40w Spartan 119,000

Sounds like a broken gear tooth either on the motor, or the rack.

Happened to me on a trip and had to have the motor replaced. 
Thing is that it made one bang..then as time went on it made a couple, and then the slide would not come in.
This was on my 2008 and electric slide motors, but the principle is the same.

It sure does make one heck of a bang.

We had a big time bang not too long ago.  It was a small plastic bathroom cup that had fallen down between the slide and the coach.:(

Problem fixed! The robust and excellently designed powergear system is attached to slideout floor of coach by fleetwood using #14 self tapping screws. Found self tappers loose and one with the head popped off. Re drilled and used new self tappers to secure powergear slide to floor. Unfortunately now that slide is in coach there is no other way so secure slide to box! Very poor engineering on fleetwood. On my American coach owners group there is mention of shimming slide gears. This is actually done by putting a wood shim in the middle of we're powergear bolts to floor. This is right under we're motor gear engages slide gear causing a slight bow on the rack and pinion causing better gear engagement. When slide goes out and reaches full extension against outside wall this force pushes rack and pinion down on slide floor this is why there is never a bang going out. Coming in when slide reaches side of coach this force wants to lift rack and pinion up off floor disengaging gear mesh. 

Banging worse than knocking?

Depends, a loud bang in the morning=Linda is hunting Armadillo, that will get your attention at 4 am!:wacko:  Knocking on the door, is a lot more interesting!:ph34r: