jimnorm

The vote Is In: We Are No Longer A Motorhome Only Group

11 hours ago, aztec7fan said:

I will be removing my goose eggs this weekend, and asking for a refund of my membership dues.  You lost at least one member who is under 60 years old

As are we, just no kids as you have.

1 hour ago, richard5933 said:

Maybe another organization will rise from the ashes and serve the needs of those driving motor homes, not pulling them behind a pickup. 

There is one out there which recently started up, search for All Inclusive Motorhome Club - started by NIRVC.

1 hour ago, Isaaac1 said:

Herman, there are probably some pop ups these days that meet that qualification, take a look at these some of which even have wet baths with gray and black holding tanks, kitchens with refrigerators, etc.  http://www.forestriverinc.com/camping-trailers/rockwood-tent

As well as truck campers which have all of these necessities.  It about to become a bold new World.  The only problem is that none of these folks would have even the tiniest bit of interest in joining FMCA.  There is nothing here for them and even if FMCA works very hard toward that goal it would be years before they could become the new Good Sam.

12 hours ago, jimnorman said:

My feelings are that I will not drop my membership, but I will be less likely to espouse FMCA as a place to go. My feeling is that we had just started to turn the corner with programs such as FMCA Energized and had we kept on course we'd have been fine. Now we have converted our organization into something it was never intended to be. Time will tell which side is or was right. I feel that all this PC Include everyone is a wrong path. While this is not as bad as having one restroom for all it is on the same pathway. Differences and different places to go are not a bad thing. No one says that you can't go camping next to your friends in a towable or that they can't go camping next to you in your MH, just that since they don't have a MH they can't be members here. You need to have an Airstream Trailer to camp in some campgrounds. Should we all petition those CGs to change their rules?

This post confuses me (easily done!).  If you would not espouse FMCA as a place to go, why would you want to pay them to remain a member of a group you don't believe in?

The only reason that FMCA wants to include towables is to mine the younger RVer to help offset the costs of FMCAssist that's currently eating up FMCA's budget with an average member age of 71 years old.

Bill, I paid my dues for the next 5 years, the benefits, Assist and Road Service are excellent. Will I spend the money to attend a rally? Not sure, MAYBE GEAR, unlikely we'll go to another National. Will I tell anyone that asks about the benefits? Why not, but will I 'go after' new members? Not likely. Why? I fell as many do that the flavor of the organization will change greatly. It was a place for learning about all that is a Motorhome and it was unique in that. Now it will be diluted. I cannot believe that everything we had will remain and that we will just add on. We will, I believe of necessity lose some of the MH centric programs as we 'expand'.

No, I most certainly do not dislike people that tow their camper as opposed to drive it. There are towables that cost more than many motor homes. DO I think that people that tow are less worthy? No, but just like joining any other club there are reasons and requirements. You need to own a Tiffin to join Tiffin, you need to have a Corvette to join the Corvette owners.

Do I think that allowing and inviting towables is a magic pill for what ails FMCA, namely an aging membership? No, I do not. There are plenty of young MH owners out there, we are not attracting them, why does anyone thing we are suddenly going to attract younger towable owners?

Isaac1. 

I can see and to a point agree where all the current negative is coming from.  I hope that all of you will wait until next year and see how it is then, before you pull the plug!

All--  whether your retired or still working, your intelligent, well educated and making a lot of money.  If you weren't you would not have our kind of TOY and you would not be on this Forum! 

I'm really surprised about your reactions.  Over and over again...I retired at 42, I still own several corporations and I would not hire the lot of you based upon what's been writhen here in the last 12 hours!

There is education smart and street smart...none of the latter here, that I see!

6 hours ago, jimnorman said:

Let's count them: Generator, Transmission, Axles, Suspension, Steering, Air system, Toad Brakes, Windshield, the tires and wheels we have campared to a towable, Towbar systems  to name the first group that comes to mind. Yes there are similarities, but a Mustang won't get you membership is a Corvette club.

Slideouts, toppers, awnings, stove tops, ovens, microwave ovens, refrigerators, toilets, drain systems, fresh water systems, inverter, converter, lighting systems, electrical management systems, hot water systems, leveling systems are now on many 5er's, door latches, air conditioners, yes they have axles also, and suspension.  I probably missed a few items. Oh! Generators. Had an Onan 5500 on my Montana 5er in 2007.  Yes, let's count them.

Are there differences? Yes, most certainly. However, I don't care what someone is glamping in, they are having just as much fun whether it be a tent, pop-up, TT, 5er, or a $2.1 million Newel.

Ok, lets say this was the national Edsel club (I just picked this randomly, I have no affiliation).  Face it, they are not making anymore of these cars, and occasionally one gets destroyed or falls apart due to neglect, so there are fewer of them every year.  What if someone said, "since there are fewer of us in this club, maybe we should allow other cars, like Mustangs into the club to increase membership".  It's also a Ford product, and these owners have similar interests (classic cars), so what would be the problem in allowing them?  Are we snobs and think our Edsel's are better than mustangs? No, just that we were founded to support Edsel owners, and allowing another model would dilute this mission.

Hope this helps you understand where I'm coming from.

Plus, I didn't like how this was "sold" to the membership, that we must vote yes for this change to "save" FMCA.  The organization would have done just fine with small changes to benefits or dues increase.  I don't usually subscribe to conspiracy theorys, but looking back, this was written on the wall, back when the website was changed to announce "under construction".  

8 hours ago, manholt said:

...I still own several corporations and I would not hire the lot of you based upon what's been writhen here in the last 12 hours!

There is education smart and street smart...none of the latter here, that I see!

Not sure where you're coming from here, and I'm going to assume that you weren't trying to insult anyone even though on first reading it did come across as such. I'm not looking for you to hire me for anything and I'm not looking for your approval on my opinions. I was (and still am) expressing my opinion on the recent events, plain and simple.

I joined an organization whose purpose was to serve the needs of motor home owners. Now the organization has made a drastic change. I have nothing against anyone that owns a pull-behind, I have nothing against camping with them, and I will hold no hard feelings against anyone that joins in the future who doesn't own a motor home.

However, I am disappointed that the focus of FMCA has changed. Last I looked, everyone who joined prior to the change is entitled to either like or dislike the change. You're entitled to disagree with how I feel about things. No one here should be criticized, however, because someone disagrees with his/her opinion.

Richard.

It was not aimed at you or a few others...generic, to all the "knee jerk reactions"...non of us has a clue, where this is going, when it will happen, or even if it will happen!  There are a lot of legal changes, wording in our Constitution, P&P and Charter, that must be approved by the State of Ohio, before we can accept even one trailer!  We have determined what constitutes a qualifying towable.  However, that definition, must still be past, by the Governance and we can't vote on it, until we meet, in Wyoming, for the FMCA National Rally in July 2018.

The frustrating thing for me, as a National Director (Governance), is that I know nothing more, at this point, than you do, that I can report. to the members of the Chapter, that elected me!

This is a Free society, therefor all are entitled to his/her opinion...I was referring to "Non constructive criticism and negativity, without having 100% of the facts"!  Or taking things out of context, to be self serving!

10 hours ago, jimnorman said:

Bill, I paid my dues for the next 5 years, the benefits, Assist and Road Service are excellent. Will I spend the money to attend a rally? Not sure, MAYBE GEAR, unlikely we'll go to another National. Will I tell anyone that asks about the benefits? Why not, but will I 'go after' new members? Not likely. Why? I fell as many do that the flavor of the organization will change greatly. It was a place for learning about all that is a Motorhome and it was unique in that. Now it will be diluted. I cannot believe that everything we had will remain and that we will just add on. We will, I believe of necessity lose some of the MH centric programs as we 'expand'.

No, I most certainly do not dislike people that tow their camper as opposed to drive it. There are towables that cost more than many motor homes. DO I think that people that tow are less worthy? No, but just like joining any other club there are reasons and requirements. You need to own a Tiffin to join Tiffin, you need to have a Corvette to join the Corvette owners.

Do I think that allowing and inviting towables is a magic pill for what ails FMCA, namely an aging membership? No, I do not. There are plenty of young MH owners out there, we are not attracting them, why does anyone thing we are suddenly going to attract younger towable owners?

That makes sense, thanks.  I hope everyone understands that this is NOT about not liking or disliking folks who own towables.

1 hour ago, richard5933 said:

Not sure where you're coming from here, and I'm going to assume that you weren't trying to insult anyone even though on first reading it did come across as such. I'm not looking for you to hire me for anything and I'm not looking for your approval on my opinions. I was (and still am) expressing my opinion on the recent events, plain and simple.

I joined an organization whose purpose was to serve the needs of motor home owners. Now the organization has made a drastic change. I have nothing against anyone that owns a pull-behind, I have nothing against camping with them, and I will hold no hard feelings against anyone that joins in the future who doesn't own a motor home.

However, I am disappointed that the focus of FMCA has changed. Last I looked, everyone who joined prior to the change is entitled to either like or dislike the change. You're entitled to disagree with how I feel about things. No one here should be criticized, however, because someone disagrees with his/her opinion.

It certainly was an insult to everyone here (except you and a few others according to his response).  Don't take it personally, I didn't and it likely was directed at me.

Bill A.  When I direct anything in your direction, You'll know it ! :lol: Actually, you have been rather cool and quiet in the past 24 hours. Also constructive! :P:rolleyes: 

10 hours ago, manholt said:

Sorry that you feel this way Carl.:huh:

Guys,

As moderator, I have really bend over backwards-- keeping this thread alive.  But any more personal attacks WILL lead to it being shut down.

Irrespective of how you voted (and I suspect very few of you know how I voted) it is my sincere hope that those of you who continue on the FMCA Forum and in FMCA ARE TRULY INTERESTED IN SEEING FMCA SUCCEED.

If that is not your goal, guess from a personal standpoint (not as moderator) I wonder why you are here.

Most of us have been involved in organizations and/or Forums that degraded into conflict.  I know I have left them, never to return.  I sure hope the FMCA Forum does not go that route, or I and many others will cease to participate. Yes, most are here because it is a positive experience-- let's keep it that way.

We had a motorhome and loved it but as we traveled more my wife became more anxious about the trip.  This not to say anyone else has troubles riding in the motorhome but it became not fun for her and when she was fearful it was not fun for me.  So we sold the motorhome and now own an airstream.  She feels much better riding in my truck and our trips are a lot more fun again.  I did this to keep on enjoying the rv lifestyle.  I have learned a lot from the last 5 years I have been a member,  I m still a member and will continue to learn from the great folks on here and articles.  Yes I won't be as interested in engine/transmission care but we have a lot in common so I hope that in the future I am not shunned because I only have a pull behind

Allowing Non ''MOTOR Coach'' vehicles into a MOTOR COACH association is asinine....  It's like having cats in a dog show....   This was obviously done for the money.

I don't relish parking my  Motor Home next to a Towed RV Trailer.   It will be like camping in a Trailer Park.   If they had at least kept the Towed Trailer  parking areas separate

from the Motorized Coaches,  it wouldn't be so bad.  You spend big bucks on a nice Motor Home, and now have to park in a Trailer Park. 

Talk about DOWN GRADING,, and DEGRADING.........   I guess with the new mind set of  YOU CAN BE A BOY TODAY, AND A GIRL TOMORROW,

AND USE ANY BATHROOM YOU LIKE... ANYTHING GOES .....  Liberalism has now invaded and taken over the FMCA....... 

FMCA  is now like the Boy Scouts....   We will keep the name, but it is no longer only for Boys,, We now allow Girls, Transgenders, etc etc....  

I joined the corvette club because I drive a Corvette, not a Mustang. I joined FMCA because I drive a Motorized Coach, not  pick up truck and a Fifth wheel.  I joined the Cherokee

Pilot's association because I Own and fly a, Cherokee, not a Cessna.  I joined the USAF because I wanted to work with Fighter Jets,, not Tanks.   I don't have anything against  a

towed RV.  I used to pull one behind my Van.  FMCA is not the Chevy Van towing a Trailer club. 

If someone wanted to join an ALL INCLUSIVE RV ASSOCIATION,, there is already one out there,,, It's called GOOD SAM .....   We are now, just another Good Sam Club....

Good morning, Day.

Unless your intent is to have this thread closed, please abide by the request Brett politely posted just a few posts back.

Thanks for understanding,

there are those of us that would like to see the thread continue without it becoming a hostile environment.

FMCA may be changing, but we would like to keep the Forum, that we know and love, the same!  We do not need another IRV2...:D:D