KenPaulT

Awning Repair

I am  a  newbie with a problem with my awning. I had a new one installed a little over a year ago and used it one time. 

Tried to open it today and the lock/latch that releases it is frozen in the down position and will not release the awning to open. 

Anyone know any tricks that may help? 

Or possibly another source for advice ?

Being on a limited fixed income, I prefer not to have to call a repair mechanic unless I have to. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance. 

Ken.  Welcome.

What name brand and make, awning is it?  Manual or Electric?

Have you sprayed WD 40 ?  I'm thinking, whoever installed it, put to much tension on it. 

We had a similar problem with our Zip Dee. Was easy to fix.

Please let us know what brand and type of awning your have. If you can post a photo of the offending latch/lock that would help us help you.

If it's the one at the top right, a little wd40 or any other good spray, you will need to be on a ladder and spray a little directly into the latch itself. Now with a pair of pliers, gently move the latch up and down, back and forth. Most of the time with several sprays and gentleness it will move, unless of course the latch is broken, and in that case the end cap will need to be removed and properly repaired by someone that has already done this type of repair before, please don't attempt to do this type repair without proper instruction, as the spring load works directly off the end caps.

I might add that if the latch is broken, then it should still be under warranty by the manufacturer.  So there should be no cost to  you, other than fuel.

Again, without knowing the awning type or brand it's hard to say for sure, but we replaced the locking mechanism on our Zip Dee without too much effort. The Zip Dee has the lock on one end and the spring on the other so we did not have to undo the spring. If you have a Zip Dee call them and get advice. Their customer service is great, and the replacement parts come with detailed directions.

However, if you have a different brand then I'm not really sure that this applies.

Richard.  I know you mean well.  As the OP said, "I'm on a limited fixed income".  I doubt that he has a Zip Dee.  Come to that, I don't even know what kind of RV he has!

Regardless of what type of awning he has, my point still holds. Many of the things that can go wrong on an awning are user serviceable. I was trying to help him get it fixed without having to call a repair tech. The key is identifying what type of awning and contacting the people with the answers. When our Zip Dee broke (similar symptoms to what the OP described) the service guy at Zip Dee walked me through bypassing the lock so I could use the awning with no additional expense.

Being on a limited fixed income doesn't mean that the OP didn't buy a 30-year-old unit with a Zip Dee or some other top tier awning on it.

Of course, there ARE a few parts of awning that can be dangerous, so it's important to fully understand what you're doing before attempting repairs (like to the spring side of the main tube, etc).