waynemcisaac

Plugs Not Working Using The Generator

Not sure how this happened but my plugs will only work when plugged in to 50amp. 

We stopped at a rest stop to make dinner, turned on the generator, plugged in the kettle and induction burner and nothing worked. 

Any suggestions where I should look to reset or replace something !?!

Wayne

Wayne,

From the ATS (automatic transfer switch) onward, there is no difference between shore and generator power.  So, start by turning off and back on the on-generator breakers.  Next (if you are safe working around 120 VAC) check for "power in" from the generator at the ATS.

Yes, the most common cause of outlets not working is a tripped GFI, but if tripped, it would be the same on shore power or generator.

I thought the same thing both breakers on the generator are ok. When we got to the next park and plugged in everything worked. So I will check the ATS tomorrow thank you Wolfe 

any other suggestions  

1 hour ago, waynemcisaac said:

I thought the same thing both breakers on the generator are ok. When we got to the next park and plugged in everything worked. So I will check the ATS tomorrow thank you Wolfe 

any other suggestions  

You might look at the 4x4 J box where the generator wiring interconnects with the coach wiring that runs to the ATS. The vibration can loosen the connections in side the box.

Make sure there is no power from shore power or the generator before working in this area.

Rich.

Unfortunately for us, when the outlets and such quit working on our generator it was internal generator damage.  A wiring harness went bad to the generator inverter and took out the inverter with it.  $4K later it is fixed.  I hope the problem with yours is more simple.  

Follow the wires from the generator.  It will be where wiring from generator is connected to wiring in the coach that goes to the ATS.

I will reiterate what Rich said.  Do not have any power on, when working on the ATS or J Box...You will light up like fireworks! 

If you blow up while checking connections with generator off, shore power disconnected and inverter off, you will qualify as a MIRACLE.  No, we don't expect one.