hermanmullins

Where is the Fuse??

A friend of mine has a 2004 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45 footer with a Power Cord Reel in the rear corner of drivers side. His power cord reel is not working and he would like to fine the fuse that his schematic says he has. Does anyone know where the fuse might be located? 

Joe will be grateful for any help.

Herman

There is a big fuse panel in the left front compartment door.  You remove that panel 2 thumb screws and flip the panel to read the fuse number chart to find what number slot the fuse is in.  Good luck!  

Thanks Ray. Went through every fuse in Joe's front panel. each and every fuse tested good with a volt meter on both sides of each fuse. Joe said that his schematic shows a fuse for the reel. but as always it doesn't show a location. He is down in his back at this time and lives 250 miles away so I can't run over to help. I am not sure if his reel is an actual reel or a drum where the cable coils up in like mine. In my coach there are two boxes in the rear, one on each side. One contains the Battery Booster solenoid. I will have him check to see if he has the same two boxes. Maybe one contains the fuse. 

As far as the bad gear, he can not hear the motor running when he toggles he switch. Just wish I was closer to help him.

Herman 

I know that I did read something regarding the circuit and fuse for the powered reels, but I just can not find it and it is not in the thread covering the drive gear issue. Took time to read the entire thread. Thought that was where it was hiding.

Rich.

Thanks Rich. As I said, Joe looked at the schematic for the power reel and knows that there is a fuse some where. I will be talking with him this evening after he has a small medical procedure. Will let you know what he finds.

Thanks,

Herman

He might run a temporary/test hot wire (w/fuse) to the motor to insure it hasn't failed. If the motor runs, it is eliminated, if the fuse blows he knows there is a short somewhere. This doesn't help locate the OEM fuse, sorry.

46 minutes ago, RayIN said:

He might run a temporary/test hot wire (w/fuse) to the motor to insure it hasn't failed. If the motor runs, it is eliminated, if the fuse blows he knows there is a short somewhere. This doesn't help locate the OEM fuse, sorry.

Those small jump start units work great for this, use them very often.

Mine is where Blake's is, both reels!  Have blown mine before, had too much line out and it was too much for motor...now I help line along.

10 hours ago, blakeloke said:

Herman,

Here's where our power cord reel fuse is.  Front driver's side electrical panel.  Position 37.  15amp.

Blake

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

Was nice of you to take your panel off to show where the fuse, errr circuit breaker is.  Reason why not able to find a fuse because it's a circuit breaker.  I was to lazy to take mine off and take pictures.  If they can't find the fuse or circuit breaker don't be jumping motors.  

12 hours ago, huffypuff said:

If they can't find the fuse or circuit breaker don't be jumping motors.

Blake has already stated to use a fused wire for testing, I was only adding that the jump starters work great for testing. Fused wires can be obtained at most auto parts stores and most hardware stores. Happy holidays to all.:rolleyes:

On 12/6/2017 at 8:22 AM, kaypsmith said:

Blake has already stated to use a fused wire for testing, I was only adding that the jump starters work great for testing. Fused wires can be obtained at most auto parts stores and most hardware stores. Happy holidays to all.:rolleyes:

Fuse I was speaking about was looking at the fuse in  the panel not the jumper wire.  

Speaking about the jumper wire fused or non-fused, why not use a test light instead.  That's what I was taught about 50 years ago.  It's a lot safer and you don't have to drag a power source from somewhere just find a good ground.  Maybe at the motor itself.  

I would test power to the rocker switch that retracts the cord first.   Just to see if you have 12vdc to the hot side.  if so, rocker switch could be bad,  If no power then you're on a hunt for where power is interrupted.

Blake

I had a power problem, bad batteries!  Last year...started Generator and got cable in, then got 8 new AGM's, no more problem with either reel.  That may be Joe W's.,  problem also!

Good thought Carl however he has all new batteries. 

Blake getting the switch out could be a bugger due to its location.

If he hasn't got it fixed by New Years I will help him out in Beaumont. 

Herman 

Herman,

Thinking about this a bit more.  I have a set of 12vdc fuses in the bedroom in the same cabinet as the 120v breakers.  Has Joe looked there?

Let me know if you go to Beaumont after the holidays.  I might ride along.

Blake