rsbilledwards

FMCA Roadside Assistance

Has any one used the FMCA roadside assistance program? How good was it? how quickly did the appear? Is it better than AAA? Which would you use if you were selecting one today?

Of the main ERS providers, AAA would be last on my list.  They have a track record of not sending a big enough tow truck or a well enough trained driver, to haul off one of these big rigs.  I presently have GS...called them twice, they responded twice with the right equipment, the right guy, to the right place in a timely manner.  AAA would be fine for a car/SUV, not a MH.

They all hire local contractors  so you need to tell them  what you weigh and how long your rig is 

FMCA or AAA?

I had AAA back in the 80's, needing a tire on a 26 foot coach, took all day & we where in Austin, Texas!  Have not used since.  I have had better luck with GS over the last 30+ years, so I will stay with them.  Had Coach Net for a while, they also was good, but then went way up on price & different levels of Service.  Have not bothered with FMCA...if I'm happy with one, why change?

I've been with GS since CoachNet started raising their prices and have had good service the 3 times I've had to use them. I used CoachNet twice with good service also. I think the key is getting the right person on the phone when you have a problem. 

I can't find many users of the FMCA program to qualify their service. 

At $69 a year, I would give FMCA Roadside assist a try. Its definitely one of the best values out there and includes all services offered by others like GS and then some.

Also it not only covers your MH, but all of your other vehicles. 

A great deal!

Do you use FMCA, Ian?  If so, what has your experience been other than writing a smaller check? The major selling point I keep hearing is that its cheaper than the others but what kind of service will you receive from the lowest priced vendor. It may not be such a great deal if the service is lousy.

GS and CoachNet both cover all your vehicles.

Even my Jeep Insurance (USAA) has a road assist that is included in policy and will cover my coach, when Jeep is a toad. 

My GS covers all my vehicles also, along with coach!  I fail to see your point.

Good point Carl.  I was still pondering on deciding if I should even sign up for any type of roadside assistance when Good Sams sent me a free 1 year deal.  Not sure why they did that but now I have them for a year.  My car insurance has it for about $18 a year, my Harley has it for less than that.  The Mini Cooper automatically came with it.  I've got so much roadside assistance I can't keep it straight.  

Understandable Joe, I keep forgetting about USAA or Progressive!

Everything OK with you and your "new" Ventana?

GS usually has a "first time member" price of $70 or so.  Sounds like what FMCA is offering here.  Has FMCA roadside always been available for $69 or is this a "we just changed out entire business profile" offer?

13 hours ago, manholt said:

Understandable Joe, I keep forgetting about USAA or Progressive!

Everything OK with you and your "new" Ventana?

Going good Carl, thanks for asking.  Still re-fitting trailer and getting it ready.  Have all the cabinets in and will be working on installing a couple windows in it after the holidays.  The coach hasn't had any issues to speak of.  We have scheduled our first short road trip for next week, just staying in Florida.  I'm fortunate that I'm in this CG, there are a couple Ventana owners here and a couple more will be checking in after January 1.  I'm sucking all the information I can out of them!

I really would like to hear from someone who has experience with the service. Just because its $69 doesn't mean much if the service equates to the cost.

Ian hinted he is a user but has not mentioned if he has had experience using it and apparently nobody on this forum has any experience with this program.

We were towed once by GS and I asked the tow truck driver what it would have cost me to have it towed the 40 miles. His reply was $740.

Jim, you were towed once with the Bounder. Was that GS and how were they?

My experience with the tow company towing us was great.

No matter which ERS we have it is frustrating when any of us has a break down and need the ERS. All of the companies that offer Road Side assistance have all fallen down on the job. They are so interested in having coverage they are not investigating the company to see if they are capable of handling Large Vehicles such as MH and or Large trucks. this goes even for AAA who has been in road side assistance for so long.

When we have a break down and are waiting for the service person to respond the clock slows down to a crawl (or it really seems that way).

Herman  

In any need service situation it's a long, slow day & your left exhausted...even with a good book to read or your Laptop!

I have had GS roadside for five years and never had to call them until late November,  started to leave Manchester, TN and could not to get air bags to inflate.

Contacted GS they lined up some one nearby who wanted to tow me to their shop. The KOA park manager came by and gave me the name of a local, called him he was there within 30 min located the problem as the rear pressure relief valve and air governor cost labor, parts and service call $351.00.

Found out the GS contact they lined up had a lot of complaints reported and not a good BBB rating. I reported this to GS.

Repairs on this day was made by J & W Auto Service in Manchester, TN phone 931-728-1583.J & W was not on GS list and said he had never heard of them, this I also reported to GS.

It is apparent GS does not do a good job seeking out reliable service people. I probably saved over $1,000 or more on this event.

It's not a 100% , so am not surprised that you ended up with the 10% side of GS that is bad.  I have been there myself, but for the other times it was great...how many?  hard to say, but will guess at 100+!  Before Radial and then Steel belted tires, I would have a blow out or flat tire about twice a month. 

On 09/12/2017 at 8:57 AM, elkhartjim said:

I really would like to hear from someone who has experience with the service. Just because its $69 doesn't mean much if the service equates to the cost.

Ian hinted he is a user but has not mentioned if he has had experience using it and apparently nobody on this forum has any experience with this program.

Over the years I have used both GS and FMCA with varying levels of success. Can't say that I noticed a significant difference between the two. 

I am now back with FMCA and at the new annual price of $69, will likely stay. Apparently you can lock in for up to 3 years to avoid any potential future price increases. 

Of note: in the new Dec 2017 edition of Family Motor Coaching, starting page 10, there is an overview and "Roadside Assistance Comparison" that completely details the benefits of FMCA, GS, AAA, and AARP.  Worth a read...

With most if not all roadside assistance plans, they seek out the lowest bidder, which could mean you sitting on the side of the road for hours while they hash out who is going to respond for the cheapest rate, not necessarily who can help NOW or who is equipped to properly help you.

Well here is the update. FMCA compared theirs to GoodSam's Premium+ service which now is no longer available even at the 144 dollar rate. I am going to call FMCA tomorrow.

Good Sam "Premium+" included towing a cargo trailer of flatbed car trailer the "Premium" service excludes these two trailers. If you have "Premium +" then you have it but no longer available. DARN!!!

Here is an observation made in the search. Many of us tow trailers, not just ATV, snowmobile trailers or motorcycle trailers but real ones, ones that contain a car or a cargo style trailer. The only offering made for "stated" coverage in a printed brochure, was Good Sam and they have now discontinued the offering. I have looked at FMCA and visited the  site of the company being used, nothing is offered there either. In fact this site offers very little of anything with respect to what it covers. You must call to get any information at all.   I visited Coach Net's site and there was little there either with regard to specifics outside of an RV, motorcycle a car, or a dollied car. AAA does offer the coverage in their "Premierre RV" coverage. My one reservation on Coach Net is all decisions of consequence are made by them.

As owners or competent techs we know nothing and are incapable of making decisions that are correct.  This is interesting as you might end up where it is not in your best interest but in theirs. Deferring to their decision is quite another thing..

Edit addition... I called and was pointed to the location of Coach Nets coverage of "trailers" so they do cover them under the "Premier RV coverage"

Edited by RSBILLEDWARDS
addition

On 12/8/2017 at 9:34 AM, IanBullock said:

At $69 a year, I would give FMCA Roadside assist a try. Its definitely one of the best values out there and includes all services offered by others like GS and then some.

Also it not only covers your MH, but all of your other vehicles. 

A great deal!

I attempted to phone Saferide's customer service to get some questions answered. No-one will answer the phone, you get a canned msg that says to leave your name and number, someone will return your call within 24 hrs. That was Dec 7. I began a thread under FMCA feedback, the FMCA customer service manager replied that he got the same message, and would repost when he got a return call, He is also still waiting I guess, he hasn't replied again.

Good Sam ERS has eliminated their lowest plan, they now have only 2 plan levels. I just received new ERS cards upgrading me to their platinum plan until my expiration date. The platinum plan is $145/yr.

The Saferide plan and the Good Sam eliminated plan read the same.