rsbilledwards

FMCA Roadside Assistance

Dkontz6234, Sorry to hear of your experience.  I too had a need just over a month back to call on FMCA Roadside Assistance for help with a tire issue.

My experience was the complete opposite of yours.  On the initial call they promptly took my info, called me back about 20 minutes later saying the tire service provider was on their way.  Within about 2 hours  from my call the tire was fixed and I was back on my way.  

Prior to FMCA Roadside Assistance I had GoodSam.  About 5 years back I had a tire issue just outside of Washington DC on a rush hour interstate.  After waiting over 6 hours for assistance, a friend traveling with me was able to put on the spare.  Don't think GS ever showed up.  

To me all Roadside Assistance providers are similar.  Sometimes it works well, others, not so much.

Still think that FMCA Roadside Assistance at $69/year is one of the best values out there.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:48 PM, dkontz6234 said:

I just got off the phone with FMCA roadside Assistance, and it was one of the worse experiences of my life.  I need my coach towed to a certified Cummins diesel repair facility for a major repair.  I explained everything to the dispatcher and told her where I have an appointment.  She said it would cost me $220 for the tow.  I asked why and she said there were closer repair facilities.  When I asked for the list she gave about 4 car dealers and a couple of Mobile RV Repair companies.  I explained to her that these companies would not be able to do the work she said that is what the computer shows.  I then asked to speak to a supervisor and she basically said the same thing.  I told her in my contract it states the vehicle will be towed to the nearest qualified repair facility, she said she had no knowledge of what my contract said.

So do not switch your Roadside assistance, because this company is really bad.

I had a similar issue recently.  A couple of months ago, my Cadillac DeVille had electrical problems and I made an appointment with a repair shop that I trust and know does good work.  I called FMCA RoadSide Assistance and they towed it to my shop of choice.  Nice.  My repair cost a little over $1000.

Then about a month later, I had another issue (loss of brakes) with the same vehicle... but this time when I called RSA, they told me I would be charged $72.00 for the tow (the same shop from the same location, my home) because I specified a "custom" repair facility.  I ended up calling a local Meineke and found they would tow me to their facility for free (max 5 times a year) and got the repair done there ($1003.00).

With the response from FMCA RSA being catch as catch can, I will more than likely go back to CoachNet when my current policy expires next year.  Never had such inconsistent responses from them all the years I was with them.

Yes but coach net delivers you to whom they wish not  your wish...Think I will give AAA a shot as am with them already with the cars. They should be ok as long as I am not toting the big trailer. If I am using the much smaller flat bed "utility" trailer the Jeep can handle it unloaded. I have also considered Good Sam again with out the big cargo trailer.

We are new at this and frustrated to no end. 

We will rent an RV this coming May and would like to know about the Roadside Assistant and other benefits FMCA is offering. It difficult to find out what is included without additional charges and what is not. The Roadside Assistant Programs, all of them, are difficult to figure out and the forum on FMCA is more confusing than helpful. I have read 1000 pages of Roadside Assistance Program and company reviews, have read uncounted, forums and opinions and know now just as much as before.

Is there anybody out there who can advise me?

The Traveling Ticos

If you're renting an RV, then my first phone call would be to the company you're renting from. Most RV rental companies provide the roadside assistance as part of the package and you shouldn't need to purchase anything additional. After all, it is their RV.

If, however, you're talking about a long-term lease then you may be responsible for providing your own coverage. In that case, here's the phone number for FMCA's roadside assistance program. (877) 581-8581   Probably helpful to just give them a call and ask all your questions.

Sorry that it's been so difficult to find the information you're looking for.

Welcome to the forum and we look forward to hearing about your trip once you're underway.

Sukki1942.

Since you became a member November, 2018.  You asked this question before, now I'll ask, why are you renting a coach?  You had to have a qualifying RV to be a member of FMCA & this forum...What happened?

The VAS representative making the FMCA Roadside Assist presentation at convention was if you get a response like those mentioned above. HANG UP AND CALL AGAIN.  There are 3,000 different services that answer your call. Not all of those know or can see your plan. I have used FMCA Roadside Assist snd am very satisfied. 

I just signed up for Roadside Rescue, it is a good buy. An hour later I got my renewal notice from Nationwide insurance, it stated roadside assistance is included at no charge. Then I noticed the premium raised $250 for one year_.🤐

RayIN, did the policy state $250 for Roadside Assistance?  Or was it an increase for the whole policy?  Linda had the same thing happen by Nationwide, hers went up $700!  She called, and was told that it had to do with Hurricane Harvey in TX. and Florence in Carolina's!  She is now with State Farm until we get her 2006 Phaeton 40 DP, Sold.

I also have State Farm & my RA is $23. If I ever need it, I would only use the hotel portion.  Don't need rental car & I would get my own Tow! 

Now, back to the OP, who think they need FMCA RA on a Vacation Rental Coach?  You either own a qualifying RV (in the shop or waiting for delivery), or you don't. 

Carl (Nationwide policy, independent agency) gave no reason for the increase, the roadside assistance entry simply said "included" without a line for premium. I now know why the increase. I'll be talking to Progressive Monday regardless, if their quote is substantially less they got my business. I owe no allegiance to any insurance company.

rsbilledwards;  I just subscribed to FMCA roadside rescue, $69 beats the heck out of $149/yr. I'm a lifetime GS member, but like I said_ no allegiance.  FMCA/Saferide phone agent told me last Thursday they cover utility trailers, cargo trailers, DO NOT cover boat trailers. I will verify that when I receive my policy packet.  I have the month of April over-lap to compare, as my GS roadside assistance runs to April 30.    

RayIN.

I'm like you, I left Progressive, 2 years ago.  In the past 12 years, I have had Blue Sky, All State, Progressive twice, Nationwide and now State Farm...I go with the best coverage for  cost.  Charter Life of GS, long time before Marcus came along!  The Insurance I had the longest, for everything, was USAA 1964 to 2005...They still have my house!

No coverage on boat trailer?  That makes no sense to me! 

Today I received my Saferide Motor Club registration. It the first paragraph below the block titled ""Benefit Plan Information and Term" , it has a sentence stating "Benefits are available for the vehicle listed". Winch-out services max is $500 per use; trip interruption max is $300 per day/5 days max.

To me that means the FMCA roadside rescue covers only my MH, as it is the only one listed; further in bold the same paragraph states _ , "additional vehicles are eligible for Roadside Assistance only".

April 2,  UPDATE:  I just got off the phone with the Saferide rep, she said all vehicles and family member drivers are covered. The FMCA blog also reads like additional drivers and vehicle may cost extra.

The Saferide website states "coverage for all owned vehicles is included with motor club benefits". (Sukki1942 take note)

Edited by RayIN
correct mis-information

On 3/31/2019 at 5:31 AM, manholt said:

RayIN.

I'm like you, I left Progressive, 2 years ago.  In the past 12 years, I have had Blue Sky, All State, Progressive twice, Nationwide and now State Farm...I go with the best coverage for  cost.  Charter Life of GS, long time before Marcus came along!  The Insurance I had the longest, for everything, was USAA 1964 to 2005...They still have my house!

No coverage on boat trailer?  That makes no sense to me! 

I received a quote from GS this morning for MH insurance. National General @ $692/yr which has more inclusive coverage than Nationwide,  which did not cover awnings.

On 12/8/2017 at 10:02 AM, elkhartjim said:

Do you use FMCA, Ian?  If so, what has your experience been other than writing a smaller check? The major selling point I keep hearing is that its cheaper than the others but what kind of service will you receive from the lowest priced vendor. It may not be such a great deal if the service is lousy.

GS and CoachNet both cover all your vehicles.

New to all the for roadside assistance.  I just found out how bad AAA was.  I was not even in my Motorhome.  We took the toad out  and on our way back to the campsite, motor just quit on us.  Being on side of a busy Interstate, close as I could get to the guard rail without hitting it.  Trucks running 70 to 75 mph touching the white line.  I will just say, will make you very short to people when you find out, your AAA will only cover you for 3 miles, yes that is right 3 MILES.... then 4.99/ mile that I would have to pay the driver cash.  Needless to say I don't have AAA any longer.  I got this with Good Sam.  You were right, what the RV place sold me, don't even cover Motorhomes.  SMH, I then remembered I had Rescue+ and come to find out, when my wife renewed it, it only covered my motorcycle.  Make a longer story short..... I no longer have AAA nor do I have Rescue +.  I would like some information on which would be better to cover everything I might drive.  Don't know what GS stands for and never heard of CoachNet either.  

als4life.  Welcome to the Forum! :)

GS = Good Sam.  CW= Camping World.  Would help to know what make, model, year coach you have...look under my signature.

Carl C.

als4life - Have you checked with your insurance company to see if you have roadside assistance included with your policy? Our Progressive policy does include some basic coverage, but we got the FMCA roadside assistance as well since Progressive's is fairly limited. Always a good idea to have a few hundred dollars in cash tucked away somewhere when traveling, as one never knows how things will play out.

On 5/19/2019 at 2:19 AM, als4life said:

New to all the for roadside assistance.  I just found out how bad AAA was.  I was not even in my Motorhome.  We took the toad out  and on our way back to the campsite, motor just quit on us.  Being on side of a busy Interstate, close as I could get to the guard rail without hitting it.  Trucks running 70 to 75 mph touching the white line.  I will just say, will make you very short to people when you find out, your AAA will only cover you for 3 miles, yes that is right 3 MILES.... then 4.99/ mile that I would have to pay the driver cash.  Needless to say I don't have AAA any longer.  I got this with Good Sam.  You were right, what the RV place sold me, don't even cover Motorhomes.  SMH, I then remembered I had Rescue+ and come to find out, when my wife renewed it, it only covered my motorcycle.  Make a longer story short..... I no longer have AAA nor do I have Rescue +.  I would like some information on which would be better to cover everything I might drive.  Don't know what GS stands for and never heard of CoachNet either.  

My brother-in-law just broke down on Thanksgiving weekend and he has AAA Platinum his experience was great.  Tow company contacted him within 30 of contacting AAA, got all information on size, weight, height, ground clearance and position of coach in relation to roadway.  Lowboy was dispatched and coach was towed to shop that my BIL chose, happened to be within 30 miles of location that he broke down at.

Jim

Your BIL was lucky.  There have been way too many examples of AAA not having the proper equipment or personnel sent to assist a MH.   I'm in the process of renewing my ERS provider, AAA is not in the running.

47 minutes ago, FIVE said:

Your BIL was lucky.  There have been way too many examples of AAA not having the proper equipment or personnel sent to assist a MH.   I'm in the process of renewing my ERS provider, AAA is not in the running.

After reading all of the comments on the different ERS providers , doesn't look like any of them have a five star rating. 

Personally I believe all of them are a crap shot, but a necessary evil.

Jim