Sign in to follow this  
arlisswallace

Spartan Chassis Front End Ongoing Squeak

We have a 2008 Newmar Kountry Star diesel pusher that we have had for about 3 years.

From the beginning of our ownership, we noticed an excessive annoying squeak in the front end - especially while on wavy or uneven up and down roads - (probably passenger side) that we have tried to have repaired.

They have lubed the front end (not sure exactly which areas) and it has helped for a bit. We have had the ride height checked, replaced the shocks, and had the generator checked to see if it was not secure. And still we have the noise.

We have talked to both Newmar and Spartan to ask for help in resolving our issue (we do believe there is something wrong as we have owned many motor homes and recognize this as a problem). The only thing we know left to check are the control arm bushings or the tie rods.

Any other ideas? Has anyone else had this experience with the Spartan chassis?

We would appreciate your help and advice. 

We had a very similar noise coming from under the passenger's seat in an 09 AC Allegiance, with a Spartan chassis, we bought new.  

After numerous checks by numerous facilities, it was discovered there were a number of factory welds missing on that side.  

Also, the dealer (now out of business), had the coach checked before we bought it, discovered the problem, but neglected to tell us about it.

ArlissW.  Welcome to the Forum!

Since you have an independent front suspension, I would suspect the tie rod on Co Pilot side.  I have the K2 chassis !  Sounds on a DP is hard to track down, I had a squeak and rattle on the Co Pilot side, we thought it was coming from the front wheel area.  Turned out to be, from the slide that was 1/4" off center, when inn position, right behind front seat. :rolleyes: Slide out was adjusted, no more sound.

Thanks for your replies...we will be taking the motor home back for service after the first of the year. We now know to have them look at the control arm bushings and possibly loose control arm bolts, tie rods, loose alignment eccentrics (whatever that is). We have a name of someone we can have our service center call at Spartan so we are hopeful that we will resolve this problem soon.

I have a 2009 Ventana with the same problem, Spartan chassis. I've had it to different shops and no one has been able to stop the squeeks. I don't have independant front suspension. It's a solid axle

The last squeak issue I needed to address was caused by fuel and vent lines rubbing against  locations on the frame and chassis.  

Wrapped the lines locations that where rubbing with neoprene. Noise gone. 

The hardest part is finding the item(S) that are moving .

Rich. 

I had that squeak on my RG IFS and narrowed it down to the control arm bushings.  Never did totally eliminate the noise but reduced it somewhat by spraying silicone in the area.  It seemed to make more noise when cold.

48 minutes ago, desertdeals69 said:

I had that squeak on my RG IFS and narrowed it down to the control arm bushings.  Never did totally eliminate the noise but reduced it somewhat by spraying silicone in the area.  It seemed to make more noise when cold.

DD69, Did the control arm bushing lack grease fittings ?

Rick.

No fittings, they looked like urethane.  This was a 2000 Reyco Granning IFS that I bought from Spartan and installed in my 93 Spartan metal spring chassis. I changed the suspension to air and also air brakes.

I have a 2006 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304 on that Spartan chassis.  I took it on our first long trip and from day 1 noticed that there was a "squeak" from the front area sounded like it was underneath the front end. I ruled out suspension, as well as steering as this never really effected the "squeak"  I sounded more like the windshield was loose and wiggling, but as it happened we had our windshields replaced on the trip and the sound kept on.  After checking everything in the front bay area I was at a loss.  I thought I could actually feel the "squeek" in my foot when on the brake or throttle, but could not be sure, perhaps it was just a phantom feeling when I heard the "squeak". 

Then I was sitting in traffic and with my foot firmly on the brake and twisted a little which caused my foot to rotate and I heard the "squeak".  With my foot firmly on the brake I shifted my foot side to side and was able to consistently reproduce the "squeak" while stopped.  I have yet to address, as I went in the front bay to investigate only to see that the brake linkages are inside the cab.  I will get at it soon.

I had a rattle in the door for ever. It would drive me crazy. I finally found it. It was the door stop arm on the top of the door. Put a piece of velcro hook and loop sticky side down on top of the door. No More Rattle, just took me 11 years to find it. Aint nutten slow bout me.:wub:

Herman