gfitz302

Need Help Getting Class B License In Lancaster PA

I had an appointment for driving portion of my class B here in Texas. I had a friend Ready to do a ride along.  The day of my test he was rushed into surgery. I called the testing office and explained my situation. The exact words were "Sir we don't ask how you got here."

I drove solo and left with my Class B in hand ?

Herman 

I suspect the answer he is looking for is "is someone willing to drive me/my coach to the licensing authority".

I know a friend did that for me when I took the driving test for our first coach that required a special license. The fact that I had close to a quarter million miles in a diesel pusher was (legally) irrelevant.

A VERY reasonable and prudent request.

Hi Carl! Joe Lives in the South west area and OP and Lancaster are closer to the South eastern corner 

Gfitz302,  Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

An option might be a CDL licensed school bus driver - that lives in your area.  Friend of a friend or you might already know one.

There might be an FMCA Volunteer  Driver right in your area. Members do help members. They are listed each year in - Think it is the January issue of our publication.

There is a school bus CDL licensed driver right across the street from me and he has wanted to drive ours. 

Rich.

Looking at the FMCA membership directory, I find 39 members listed in Lancaster, PA.  One is listed as “Mechanical Help”.  You might contact him and if he can’t help, he may know someone.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:24 PM, gfitz302 said:

Need someone with a class b or higher to ride along to test site.

In Pennsylvania, a class B (non-commercial) license is required if a motor home is 26,001 pounds or more and towing less than 10,000 pounds. Remember, your motor home is not a commercial vehicle, it's privately owned. A class  A (non-commercial) license is required when your towed is 10,000 pounds or more. An example of this would be if the towing vehicle is 11,000 pounds and the towed is 15,500 then the total combination is 26,500. Remember, these are all gross weights. Also, those pulling a trailer should be aware of this.

Oh and one other thing. When you go to the testing center, they WILL ask for the license of the person that you claim is with you. Remember, you are on LEARNERS PERMIT. So make certain they have a license equal to or greater than what you are trying to get. Also, their is no test for a non-commercial class B license for a motor home. I got my license about three years ago near Hazleton after driving for five or six years and not knowing that I needed a B license and had no test. I was just told to drive around the block with a tester in the passenger seat. Good luck.:D 

gfitz302 two times I have done this for people in PA, both times it was in Reading PA and both times they could care less that I was with them and had a CDL. Two different examiners told us since it was a non-commercial it wasn't necessary. When you ask the question on the phone or on paperwork you get the CDL answer. Its tough to call most DMV's and get the right answer, I'm guessing this occurs in most states.

Joe, your correct...I drove myself with the toad attached...saved me from doing a ridiculous parallel parking in a maybe 45 foot space in a 45 footer!  Left turn, right turn, let the air out by pumping brake, how high was the clearance over me and how high is my coach!  That was it...I did ask about the written test?  "You just did it"! :wub: I really liked that guy! :) 

Carl,

Very different than my experience at the Texas City office.  Absolutely did have to parallel park, though the space was plenty long enough.  Driving route was the same they use for cars, including through neighborhoods with low-hanging trees.  We are ABSOLUTELY an anomaly to them.

And prior to the driving test, the written test (actually on computer) was 90% about 18 wheelers and lighting requirements on tractors, etc.  Irrelevant for us, but part of the process.  Study for a couple of hours and get it done.

Brett, I should have mentioned, that I got mine in Longview, TX.  I tried to get it at the DMV on Galveston, that was a waste of time...3 times.  First time with the WB Tour, then Allegro Bus, then Tradition.  I tried again in Gladewater and was referred to Longview or Tyler. 

I still have the book in the coach.

I will admit, I was disappointed how laxed they are with motorhomes in PA. They let you go over and over until you get the pretrip right. I don't agree with this, you should have it memorized especially if you have been operating an air brake vehicle for any period of time, it just shows how many people are operating these that shouldn't be when you have no idea how to make sure your sure brakes are safe to drive. I'm betting most will take the test and forget about it. They were a bit more picky on the roadtest which made me feel better. In PA part of the pretrip is walking through the interior making sure items in the interior are secured also.

How many folks do you suppose are driving their cars and have no idea how their brakes work?  or care?

Not an issue with how it works, its an issue of "is it safe to be driven". In a car you step on the pedal, if it doesn't go to the floor you're good. Complex air brake system with such a large vehicle, completely different animal.

A 5000 pound car with bad brakes is a whole other ballgame.  Ever seen what happens to a Smart car trying to push a 50,000+ coach?  Not much damage to rear of coach...car looks like normal road kill.