rhinderber

Sway VS Body Roll

I have a 1998 Safari Trek with a p-30 chassis.

The body moves back and forth side to side like a boat, I installed sway bar bushings did not seem to make a difference. Could shocks be the problem? air bags? What is the difference between sway and body roll?  Same condition different terms?

Your P chassis has front air bags (inside coil springs).  What are they inflated to?

Tire pressure correct?

How old and how many miles on what shocks.  Certainly good shocks help control body motion.

Yes sway is the side to side motion you are describing. Could also be described as body roll.

The bags are at 90psi-tires 85psi- shocks may be original unit one owner have paperwork from day1 no shock replacement indicated they are bilstein 

Bilstein makes good shocks, but at 20 years old, that is where I would start.

Have you gone to polyurethane sway bar bushings front and back.  A LOT less $$ than replacing with larger diameter bar and should help if the bushings are the OE rubber ones.

Safari coaches respond very well to the installation of Koni shocks. It is the predominate shock being used in replacement on the larger coaches. I would touch base with the TREK club and see what they are using.

I believe this is the site Bill is referring to-- an excellent resource for Safari Trek owners: http://www.trektraxs.com/

And, agree with Bill on the Koni FSD's for DP's, but the Chevrolet/Workhorse P is a completely different beast.  As Bill suggested, check for current recommendations (shocks do change over the years) for your chassis.

rhinderber,

The Attached pictures of the front suspension are from the OEM  shop manual for a 1992 P-30 chassis. These should be real close to what yours will look like.

The lower control arm image shows the air spring and all the parts of the assembly. The lower control arms carry the weight.

I have the complete manual  for both the chassis and the electrical for the 98 model year. Could scan the pages that might be of interest to you, but with the Holidays fast approaching - not sure of a possible time line.

Look closely at the points and method used to attach the stabilizer bar.  it is a little more complicated then just the frame  bushings. 

Hope they help

Rich.    

IMG_5926.JPG

IMG_5928.JPG

IMG_5931.JPG

IMG_5927.JPG

I had the same problem. New Bilstein shocks eliminated body roll and up/down rocking. Now when I hit a bump/dip the front is very steady, one slight rise then the front  settles to ride height, almost like driving my new pickup after I also had a total wheel alignment.

I found the lowest pricing for Bilsteins at finditparts.com