bobandwendy1972

Starting Cummins Generator During Winter Storage

I am looking from feedback on how often and to what degree of running a Cummins gas generator while in winter storage.  I understand Cummins recommends that once a month you should exercise my gas generator (2) hours each month and put a load on it.  I am looking for recommendations on how to put a load on the generator during the winter.

6 minutes ago, bobandwendy1972 said:

I am looking from feedback on how often and to what degree of running a Cummins gas generator while in winter storage.  I understand Cummins recommends that once a month you should exercise my gas generator (2) hours each month and put a load on it.  I am looking for recommendations on how to put a load on the generator during the winter.

I use a couple of electric heaters and for more load the pre heat on the convection oven and or a hair dryer.

Do you have electric heat strips in your AC units?

Bill

Bob, One of the best ways to put a load on the generator would be to turn on the Heat Pumps (Heat strips) in the AC unit. If you do not have Heat pumps then turn on the ACs .

Herman

9 minutes ago, bobandwendy1972 said:

With out running the roof AC units, One can run the AC blowers on high, run an electric heater or 2. 1500 watts puts a 12.5 amp load on the and the AC blowers draw around  5 amps each.

Running the Microwave will add 10 to 12 amp load on high. One could also turn on the coach lights one the charger reaches float point, if you have power maintaining the batteries while in storage - the lights will place a load on the coach anf chassis batteries, this will put an extra load on the charger. 

Rich.