lcarthur

Air Compressor

Can anyone recommend a reliable air compressor for my Class B tires.

I would like one that runs on a rechargeable battery instead of having to plug it in to the lighter or an ac outlet.  Thank you

Welcome to the Forum.

I think that I saw a Jump Start unit with a charger and Air Compressor at Sam's Club. It may be OK to top off a tire but wouldn't rely on it to air up a really low tire.

Herman 

I purchased an Oasser mini electric inflator from Amazon.  It was $44. It worked today to add 5 pounds of pressure to the front tires on my Class B. I wanted one that worked cord free, was chargeable in the house or in my RV in an electrical outlet or in the lighter .  It added 5 pounds to each tire and stopped when it reached the 55 psi that I had preset on it 👍🏻  So far I am happy with it.  

Thank you for your input.

We thank you, for coming back on with the solution.  I'm sure it will help others! :)

Merry Christmas and happy trails!

Class B should probably be able to get air at any tire shop and save the cost and lost space of getting an air compressor that should only be needed a couple times a year.

I have a viair 88p. I used it for the first time last week to air my truck tires up to capacity, from 55 to 75 or so. The air compressor was not sufficient, it took almost an hour to bump up four stock size Chevy 2500 tires. It was also hot enough to remove my thumb print.

43 minutes ago, Bsobania said:

I have a viair 88p. I used it for the first time last week to air my truck tires up to capacity, from 55 to 75 or so. The air compressor was not sufficient, it took almost an hour to bump up four stock size Chevy 2500 tires. It was also hot enough to remove my thumb print.

Your at the max load for your current Compressor. Time to look into one of the pancake stile air compressors that can reach 110 lbs. or more.

Rich.

I use a Porter Cable that will do 150 pounds. You do need to plug it in. I leave it in a bin and use a 50 foot 1/4 inch very flexible hose to get all my tires. Most of the time you need the higher pressure which allows faster filling or topping off.  But you may not have enough storage space for it. 

1 hour ago, rossboyer said:

I use a Porter Cable that will do 150 pounds. You do need to plug it in. I leave it in a bin and use a 50 foot 1/4 inch very flexible hose to get all my tires. Most of the time you need the higher pressure which allows faster filling or topping off.  But you may not have enough storage space for it. 

Ross, I would go with a 1/2 in hose as it will fill tires much faster than the 1/4 hoses. I made the mistake of using a 1/4 hose and it took forever to increase preshure in my tires. I have a Dewalt pancake that goes to 165#. 

Bill

Not to argue but 1/2 inch hose is not all that common. Most shops mechanical and body run on 3/8 rarely a 1/2, tooo big. Problem with a 1/4 is time but also does not carry the pressure to the end well if long...line loss

1 hour ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Ross, I would go with a 1/2 in hose as it will fill tires much faster than the 1/4 hoses. I made the mistake of using a 1/4 hose and it took forever to increase preshure in my tires. I have a Dewalt pancake that goes to 165#. 

Bill

I have used this setup for about 10 years for my motor home to fill to 110 pounds. It isn’t volume that is needed. It is pressure. 

The DeWalt and Porter Cable are almost identical. I use tank pressure to fill not the adjustable low pressure. 

If a tire is flat, you need roadside service that has the proper equipment to remount the tire. 

1 hour ago, rsbilledwards said:

Most shops mechanical and body run on 3/8 rarely a 1/2,

Yes, I agree. Under truth in advertising this was before this trip. :lol: I do carrey a 3/8 most of the time but have 1/2 for big air impact and you don't have the preshure loss. I have also used the 1/2 to run air to a manifold where I could plug in a couple air hoses. You also do better when the preshure in the tank is higher as it will fill the tier faster. 

Bill

The tire shop I go to uses 1 inch, because most of their business is servicing trucks. But all of our preferences don’t really address the OP issues. Even my preferred compressor isn’t battery powered. I did have a battery powered compressor that took 45 minuets to add 5 pounds to one of my tires. It worked, but I don’t think it would have filled a tire that had gone flat. That is why I use what I have now. 

WBill,

I would condeed that and the larger line in a Big Rig shop makes perfect sense. My solution to this is a bit different. I have a small aluminum high pressure nitrogen cylinder, a regulator and 3/8 hose. I also carry an American made 3/4 inch Ingersoll Rand air impact wrench as on a 3/8 line works great. In addition a Makita 3/8 impact to spin the nuts off, the big one to loosen. In the event of a tire removal the bottle is good for one tire and a refill or numerous touch up on the air pressure. Nitrogen because you cannot get just air.

Something I am adding since the coach is an air bag coach, is an auxiliary oilless electric Thomas pump assembly constructed for Monaco's bigger coaches. It is capable of 120/150 psi It will be tied into the air system in such a manner as to keep the coach automatically aired up without running the C12 and the a joined compressor for short stints. I intend to add an additional 15 gallon air tank under the front cap right side. When this is complete it should weigh less than one of the pancake compressors and be out of the way.

Sounds like a workable solution. I do prefer the pancake compressor. In fact I have two. One is in coach and the other operates tools in my woodworking shop. If one would fail, I have a fallback until I get the other repaired or replaced. 

There is no one solution. What works for one may not be what another would like. Several different solutions have been presented that work for the one that replied. 

Well back to address the OP issues. The Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit Has been reviewed to do a good job for a 12V compressor. But not all of the small 12V compressors will make everyone happy. They will work on the smaller tires than the 22.5. You can use one of these to seat the bead. :D

Bill

main_product_image