53rambler

City Water Also Fills Fresh Water Tank

When I’m using city water the fresh tank slowly fills and overflows, so I’ve been using normal and filling the fresh water tank as needed. The water pump comes on about every 10 seconds. Does this sound like the valve is bad? 

Do you have a handle in the water bay that you turn one way for fresh and another for city?  Do you have a built in filter/when was it last changed?  Use a secondary filter on City water line?

Your water pump should only come on when you use the fresh tank.  If it comes on while not in use, you probably have some debris causing it to partially stay open.

Tank filling when connected to shore water is an indication that the check valve is bad. When on the tank water and the pump cycles off an on is also a bad check valve. Easy fix. The check valve is on the inlet side of the pump. Having more than one go bad, I added an inline check valve between the tank and pump.

Herman 

Yes, EITHER a bad fill valve or bad check valve in the pump can cause tank to fill.

Next time the tank is empty, remove the hose from the "IN" side of the pump. Turn on shore water and see if it comes out the pump inlet.  If not, suspect the fill valve.

I have always placed an inline checkvalve on the outlet side of the pump with the flow arrow away from the pump. The one that is on the pump is a rubber diaphragm that is weak by design, and can often be held open by just a small piece of debris, and for that reason, anytime I do any plumbing work on a coach I add a checkvalve, they are inexpensive and can be acquired at almost any store that sells plumbing supplies. And of course this will only help if it is the checkvalve that is not working, as Brett said the fill valve could be the culprit and the checkvalve will not correct that situation.

If when on the pump an tank and the pump cycles off & on it means that the check valve is bad and doesn't hold the pressure up enough and the pump continues to try to keep the pressue up.

Herman 

My pump started acting up a couple of days ago on fresh water, changing out check valve tomorrow....be the second time in 4 years!

Herman, where did you get your last replacement water pump from?  Closest CW is 130 miles away, and Linda's quit today...

Carl,

West Marine and most other marine suppliers have a good selection of 12v water pumps.

Jim

Thanks to you both!  I'm a member of NT and we have one in North Austin.  50 miles from Linda, she will be home Monday with her coach, while I will be in Pipe Creek, TX with mine at Texas Custom Coach....We will both be in Burnet for Christmas!!!

1 hour ago, Hermanmullins said:

Northern Tool. I will send you the PN tomorrow.  It is a Surflo 3GPH @ 55 PSI.

HERMAN 

Carl

,Here is the model number for the Surflo Pump 4008-101-E65. Two year Warranty.

Herman 

And now you know why I have a spare. I use it to pump water from the 5 gallon jugs when I am in the desert to fill the house tank. A couple of hose changes and it will serve the house. I use it to pump from sun warmed jugs of water to take an outside shower in my custom made shower stall as well.

I got a big A.. Coach so I don't have to live like a hermit when I'm camping...Did enough of the Tent (that was a luxury item) during my Boy Scout years!:P

Carl,   ??? being a "hermit" come on. It is just a lot less work keeping the shower glass clean and moisture out of the coach. It is a lot less restrictive than the small stall in the coach and it is actually fairly spacious compare to many. The bees can use the moisture and I do not have to dump the grey water as often. It is a matter of practicality and makes total sense. Besides I did not have to use the heater and the propane to heat the water so it makes it less expensive too. The water is warm instantly, which means I do not fill the house tank as often when in the boonies, which is most of the time! Gotta look at the big picture Carl.

Byron, why the "speedo" I am cleaning me and I look great in the 3 sided stall and the coach making the other. It is communing with nature and being practical. It only takes five minutes to set up or take down. 

I am with Carl, on this. I bought this coach to use and use up. I don't use the campground bath house or some rigged outside shower. I do not go traipse off to the campground bathrooms in the middle of the night. :D 

Bill

The good news is that there is no reason to seek "consensus" on this.

Reasons for each choice and up to each of us to weigh them out!

Our fill valve does leak a little. I watch the fresh water level and drain some from the tank as needed. If the tank overflows it gets the wet bay soaked . Not a good thing on Phaetons of those years. Replacing the valve is on my list, but there is a lot of stuff to remove to get to it.

Guys with the multiple failures, do you have an inline water filter? Just trying to wrap my head around it.... RSBILL, the next time you camp near us, if you decide to Skinny shower up please let us know, we gone shopping that morning :lol:

22 hours ago, ObedB said:

Our fill valve does leak a little. I watch the fresh water level and drain some from the tank as needed. If the tank overflows it gets the wet bay soaked . Not a good thing on Phaetons of those years. Replacing the valve is on my list, but there is a lot of stuff to remove to get to it.

I think I may have mentioned this in a previous post.  On two occasions our fresh water tank has filled up and overflowed when we are hooked up to "city" water (campground supplied).  After the first event I replaced the valve that isolates tank fill to house use.  It happened again a year or so later.  In both cases I noted that the campground supplied pressure was fairly high.  I suspected that the supplied pressure was high enough to push water through the valve seals and slowly fill my holding tank.

So, I obtained a better regulator that I could adjust.  Now I'm able to keep water pressure to about 45psi max.  Haven't had a problem since.

Blake

Blake, I suspect that a lot of the problems with the "city" water filling the tank can be traced back to hi water pressure. I always turn on the water to blow out the hose and any rusty water/sediment in the line before hooking up. 

If you read the fine print in your rental agreement they all require you to have a water regulator before hooking up.

Bill 

Bill, fine print?  Unless it's Font 12 or higher, I can't read it. :o  There's something below a 12? :blink:

BillE.  I commune with nature just fine in my clothing! :rolleyes: I have a large shower in my coach, can stand upright and love my Aqua Hot.  I even have a on/off switch on the shower head to conserve water...have gone 10 days on a tank of fresh water and I shower, 120/80/60. :lol:

Merry Christmas to all