carl17

ELD or Electronic Logging Device installed.

Dose any one have any info on new DOT law coming into effect in December 18. Seem  that some are saying it will effect all RVs both towed and driven.    Iam from New York  Class A motor home under 26000 and none Commercial Plates.   

I just spent a half hour pecking around the net to find absolutely nothing to indicate that RV owners, Motorhome owners have anything to comply with in this mandate on the "TRUCKING" industry. Where did you find this requirement?

Carl17,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Yes, please do post a link to information indicating this applies to privately owned RV's.

Thanks.

Does this help?

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/faq/who-must-comply-electronic-logging-device-eld-rule

Seems to me like only 'motor carriers' are required to comply with driver logging - I could not find anything in the regs that applies to the driver of a non-commercial vehicle.

There is lots of information on the site on the regs in general for those interested:

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/hours-service/elds/electronic-logging-devices

I've seen lots of confusion about things like this, especially with some states now adding additional licensing requirements for drivers of larger Class A rigs and for those with a GVWR above a certain point. From what I've seen, those states that require additional licensing requirements (class b license, etc) are doing so with a non-commercial license.

My coach is wearing 'Motor Home' plates and is not a commercial vehicle. Same probably applies for 99.9% of all vehicles discussed on this site. If someone is using a commercial vehicle to pull a 5th wheel things would be different, but that would probably be an outlier.

Although not a trucker I listen to the Road Dog Trucker Channel on Sirius regularly and they have been talking about ELD's for quite a while doing a quick check online at the FMCSA website it only applies to vehicles that have a USDOT number and further narrows it down to trucks manufactured after 2000.    Every once in a while you will see an motor home with the USDOT numbers taped on a side window or a pickup towing a trailer with a USDOT number on it these are deliveries and by law they are exempt from having ELD's however they are still bound by the hours of service law.   It does not affect recreational drivers.

It only applies to vehicles that have a USDOT number. That make lots of sense. In NEW YORK, an RV over 26000 requires an RV endorsement which is a written test and a road test, so far found no one  that has done that. That for a non commercial license.      Thanks for all the help

Yes, many, many states require special (but not Commercial) license for GVWR over 26,000 pounds.

Certainly, we in Texas have exactly the same requirement.

Yes, we do!  As far as the other is concerned, I only drive about 6 hours and 250-300 miles, each time we bother to move!  We really need to clip the wings of EPA and cut the work force in half !

Glad that I hung onto my class A license when I retired. Had to check the appropriate box on a form Penndot sent me and give them $90 at every renewal.

Had a Texas Class A CDL. One day I was driving a tad over the speed limit and got pulled over (in my car). Fine was $164, no defensive driving, no adjudications, just pay the fine.  I converted it to a Class A very quickly since I was not driving commercially anymore.

It is possible that a 1 ton pickup and a trailer weighing over 10,000 and with both having GCVWR of 26,001 pounds or more can happen and he driver will need a Texas Class A driver license. Some of these monster 5th wheels are 12-16000 pounds.

I hear tell it is a misdemeanor in some states to not have the proper license  and is equated to driving without a license.

My friends in Gladewater, all have class A CDL. 52 foot, Combo horse trailer/living quarter fifth, pulled by Peterbuilt and Volvo...mother and both daughters!  Have no idea what each of those fifth's weigh, just that you can get one for $750K plus!