rfsod48

Removing Old Graphics/Painting New Graphics

Anyone with experience in removing old graphics and painting on new ones. Does it seem to last longer? What type of paint was used?

Ok Herman here I am... Getting the  old decals off is a job for anyone you or a professional,  it is painstakingly time consuming. So do it yourself and save a lot. Let the pros do the painting. However that is not difficult if you are handy and intuitive. Paints used are the same thing that your car is painted with. Base coat, clear coat will last the longest. Solid color can be use but will require more maintenance over time. There is a ton of preparation to do this. Since you asked what kind of paint is used I will assume you are a novice and suggest you leave the paint part to the pros.

The industry has a tool that is effectively a big eraser that will strip the old decals right off, misleading statement, there is plenty of cleanup to do after but the bilk of the work is done and requires lots of air.  Shortened and concise explanation...

Thanks Bill and Herman,

My interest was in seeing if this is a solution to faded and cracked graphics rather than just putting new vinyl decals on. I do not have the desire to do the work myself, I have better things to do with my time:). Do you have any thoughts as to what this might cost?

Thanks,

Roland 

2 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

Thanks Bill and Herman,

My interest was in seeing if this is a solution to faded and cracked graphics rather than just putting new vinyl decals on. I do not have the desire to do the work myself, I have better things to do with my time:). Do you have any thoughts as to what this might cost?

Thanks,

Roland 

Roland, Have you talked to any of the paint shops that can do this? I think you are closer to a full repaint than you think. There are several levels of quality all the way from rattle can to the paint on better coaches where the graphics are sunk into the paint so you can't feel them when you rub your hand over them. I would also check on replacement vinyl graphics. After you get a price on paint you might think the vinyl looks pretty good.:D

Bill

Bill, the little checking I have done leads me to believe you are correct. New vinyl will probably be the way I go. Have you done any of this for your coach yet? I am also having problem with my dash cowl starting to crack, I am going to try to find one at a salvage yard.

Roland

RF

Try calling Northwest RV Supply for the dash. They may have what you are looking for hanging on the wall as there are dozens of them. Ask for Joe Coli owner

1 hour ago, rfsod48 said:

Bill, the little checking I have done leads me to believe you are correct. New vinyl will probably be the way I go. Have you done any of this for your coach yet? I am also having problem with my dash cowl starting to crack, I am going to try to find one at a salvage yard.

Roland

No I haven't, I am more inclined to put that money in a fund for possible upgrade. 

As RSBILLEDWARDS says check with the different RV salvage yards for a replacement. There is a company that advertises in the FMCA magazine that makes covers for the dash if it is the vinyl on top that is detreating.

Bill

The vinyl decals are pretty easy to remove, I've done many over the years. A good heat gun is the easier way, hair dryer will work but takes a whole lot longer. Start by warming the outer edge of the graphic and then start gently lifting the decal very slowly and remove it gently in a solid sheet by moving the heat back and forth slowly just ahead of the area that you are peeling, a little practice on the smallest ones works well. If you talk to a professional vinyl sign maker, most already have experience with the process, also they can guide you about replacement. Painting sure looks the best, but is much more expensive. The vinyl should look good for 8 to 12 years depending on quality of the vinyl, remember that cheap is cheap, the better grade cost more and will last longer. If you go this route, get instructions on proper maintenance so that it will the longest period of time. Do not use harsh detergents as they will start deterioration sooner than later. My entire coach is vinyl wrapped, I did the entire coach by myself, been 4 years now and still cleans up nicely.

Roland.  Send a PM to BillE and Kay.  Gut feeling tells me, they know more between them, than you'll find anywhere!  Then you have the knowledge to make a sound decision on how to proceed.

Merry Christmas