elkhartjim

Use Caution Buying DEF

Just a heads up. I purchased 2.5 gallon container of DEF at a WalMart in Lubbock, TX yesterday. This morning I unscrewed the lid and found the safety seal missing from the jug. Feeling a little cautious, I poured some of the liquid in a cup - water. I returned the product and found out it happens more often than you would think. So as a word of advice, check the seal before making your purchase.

I also found out they have to watch for returned motor oil. People will buy 5 qts of oil, change their oil and return the 5 qts containing their used oil for a refund.

Don't use DEF but I do use motor oil. What a low life, doing something like that. If customer service knows about that, they should check for proper seal before refunding the money and having it pit back on the shelf.

24 minutes ago, ObedB said:

Don't use DEF but I do use motor oil. What a low life, doing something like that. If customer service knows about that, they should check for proper seal before refunding the money and having it pit back on the shelf.

They do check now.

As long as companies just refuse to take back the product and not file charges for attempted theft by deception the low lifes will continue. Shoplifting is a crime so should trying to return used products as new.

People need to know that there are  consequences for their actions. Then maybe stealing will slow down. We know it will never stop.

Herman 

Jim, "They will now," is most likely only at that store..

Thanks, just bought 2.5 gallons but didn't check he seal. However the box is still intact so I'm probably good.

The shelf life of DEF is a function of ambient storage temperature. ... Expectations for shelf life as defined by ISO Spec 22241-3 are the minimum expectations for shelf life when stored at constant temperatures. If stored between 10 and 90 deg F, shelf life will easily be one year.

2 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

What is the life cycle?

This isn't something I would try to stock pile. At an average of 50 deg. it has a 36 month shelf life but it drops to 6 month's at 95 deg. This includes what is in the tank on the coach. If you have temps over 100 it drops to just 2 months shelf life. I would be carful about how much is in  the tank in the summer time in the south west so it  doesn't go bad.:o

I got this from a Ford memo to all Ford Lincoln dealers dated November 7, 2013. Lets hope the info Jim posted is more current.:P

Bill 

Also, you have no knowledge on how long and at what temp Wall Mart, Pilot, Loves, etc had it, before you got it.  Pilot, Flying J and Loves got in trouble about 4 months ago, for having bad DEF in their tanks at the OTR pumps!

Have a Jolly good Christmas

Constant Ambient Storage Temperature Shelf Life in Months

≤50 °F (10°C) 36 months

<77 °F (25°C) 18 months

≤86 °F (30°C) 12 months

≤95 °F (35°C) 6 months

<104°F (40°C) 2 months

But like Carl said, how was it stored and for how long before we buy it.

Dang! Just another function of RV'ing. 

I was also concerned about truck stop DEF product but was thinking there was a larger turnover.  However, if truckers are having problems maybe they are buying from Walmart.

Thanks all for the info.

DEF Testing.

Joe posted some information on a DEF tester a few months back. Thought it might be a good addition to this thread. 

DEF Tester Link-http://www.acustrip.com/cgi-bin/proddesc.cgi?s=41108 

1-973-299-8237

The use of a clear container-like a clear glass caning jar, to pump or pure some DEF into and if it looks milky. It has started to brake down.

Rich.

Just a note of caution not to jump to conclusions too fast about the tampering of the Wal-Mart DEF containers. Last year, I bought three 2.5 gal jugs of the WM brand and when I went to open them the seals on two of the three were not "sealed" i.e. the seals were there just not stuck to the mouth of the jug. I guess, for a period of time the seals were becoming unsealed under the cap.  I did a rudimentary test and found that the liquid was DEF and not water as I first suspected. That was over a year ago and have not seen the unsealed seals since.

I'm thankful in this regards our MH is pre DEF.

Our Mh has set in storage for over a year a couple of times.

How would you drain all of it out?

timetraveler.

It would help all of us if you would list your make, model, year and Diesel or gas, in your signature...look under my first name! :)

When you say your pre DEF, only means that your diesel engine is pre 2010.  This has nothing to do with a gasser!

TT

Good for you.  No re generation and no DEF!  I don't use DEF either, my chassis is December 2009 and coach is January 2010.  I have used DEF, my previous coach was a Allegro Bus 2011.