lastdance89143

Cost Of Flat Tow Package Installation

Bought a 2017 Kia Soul with manual transmission to tow behind my motor home. Just wondering what to expect cost wise for installation. I noticed equipment was reasonable but received one quote $4500, just for installation. Hope someone can help

It took less than 4 hrs shop time to have my installed on my Dodge Dakota.  Can't imagine $4500,  even if shop rate was $150 per hour that would be 30 hours.

I would look for a small independent shop who has a good reputation.

Jim

Blue Ox tow hooks installed on my Ford Edge came to $1100 including the parts from Blue Ox.  This did not include any wiring - only tow hooks which required replacing the Ford internal 
"bumper" behind the front facade.  They would have wired the lights and the emergency breakaway for another $400.

Don't forget you will need an auxiliary braking system in some states.

Lenp 

About 6 months ago I had a Blue OX package installed on my 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee and  believe total cost for.          Base plate and labor was around $900.

Roland

Thanks everyone. I called blue ox for authorized dealers in Las Vegas, there were only two. I also checked prices for wiring and braking systems, the break system was the most expensive at $1000. Blue ox base plate is less than $400 and wiring less than $200. Thought about calling blue ox back to let then know the outrageous labor their authorized dealer is charging. Findley RV in Vegas.

I just recently purchased blue ox base plate,$439.00,factory tail light wiring kit$74.00 from etrailer,did my own install because I'm capable of doing it,RVi 3 brake system for my Ford Edge.Added a auxiliary 12 v receptacle at the battery,$27.00.

Had new installation on 2017 Jeep Wrangler in June original quotes including braking system ranged from $2300 - almost 5000  best was through our local Leonard dealer worst from camping world. 

Check with some body shops or a large U-Haul Trailer location. 

I've installed base plates, light and braking systems on three different vehicles; first time was about 6 hours and last time closer to 3.5. 

34 minutes ago, billthebartender said:

just bought a new to us class a.  dealer wants $5500.00 to install blue ox.  are there more reasonable prices out there?

Welcome to the forum. Yes $5500.00 sounds a bit steep. Where are you? What dealer was this? I am thinking $3000.00 or less.

Bill

On 12/17/2017 at 8:12 PM, lastdance89143 said:

Bought a 2017 Kia Soul with manual transmission to tow behind my motor home. Just wondering what to expect cost wise for installation. I noticed equipment was reasonable but received one quote $4500, just for installation. Hope someone can help

I tow a Chevy Silverado pickup. I bought the Blue Ox tow bar and base-plate and complete wiring installed from a Blue Ox dealer for $3,100 in 2013. I cannot imagine inflation has increased that much.

IMO you should find a different shop, preferable an independent owner vs a nation-wide chain. IMO Jim is right about checking with U-Haul.

Edited by rayin

I just finished installilng a system on my 2010 Jeep Wrangler.  First observation is that its a whole lot easier doing it on a lift than on the ground. Second is that in the couple that I've done, the instructions provided are simply not accurate.  They seem to be almost universal and not detailed for your particular card. I think some are better than others.  That's not a big deal once you realize that and proceed with the installation accordingly.  

I think the wrangler took aboub 4 hours without the braking system.  

It''s not a tough job if your mechanically experienced at all. I'm guessing that the Wranglers fall at the easier end of the spectrum.

toni

I just bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee so I can set it up for flat towing. I am picking up my new to me Motorhome on Wednesday and the dealer is quoting 6200. To set up both vehicles. 🫢 I am new to RVing and am learning all of the stuff that comes along with it. Does that sound right? If not. Does anybody know of a location in/ Ocala or Orlando? I am picking the Rv up in Ocala but live in Orlando

thanks for any insight. 
Jody

I just received a quote to install on my new Chevrolet Equinox due my 2019 being totaled. Air Force One with air brake control, break away, charge line with regulator, battery relay, RoadMaster adapter with hidden crossmember and LED lights and wiring was $4,500. Nothing for the motor home was included because I have all that.

Jezz, and I thought $3,600 was a lot for the towing package in 2013. My local auto mechanic was also a Blue Ox installer, I bought everything + installation from  him.

I installed my Roadmaster baseplate and wiring in my 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I paid about $500 for the baseplate and the wiring kit. I did the install myself with the help of a friend who has a dream garage with lift, pneumatic tools etc..  (3-4 hours + 3 beers).

I had a Demco Stay and Play installed at the shop I use and it was ~$2,100 and the Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain was ~$ 800, so even with me doing the labor on the baseplate/wiring I had $3500 in parts......albeit top of the line stuff.