Sign in to follow this  
RonNewsam

Dues increase

This may or may not get posted. If it does not it will be another assault on our 1st Amendment rights. If it does, kudos to FMCA.

Today, in protest of the dues increase, I have inverted the "goose eggs" on my coach.

Ron F57004

Ron,

I don't like the dues increase either (we are on a very tight budget), but we would rather pay $5 more a year than to see FMCA get in financial trouble.

We all know that advertising revenue from RV manufacturers is way off. Not your fault, not my fault and not the Executive Board's fault. But, it would be totally irresponsible for them not to deal with reality.

In order to balance the budget, what would you recommend that your Executive Board do -- what should they cut and/or where should they raise revenue?

Brett

I agree with Brett, and prefer to pay a modest increase rather than see FMCA go bankrupt. On the bright side, I just filled the coach tank today ... gas prices dropped in our area this week, so I already got my $ 5.00 back.

I am new to FMCA (less than one year) but I would hate to see this organization go under. I really cannot believe five dollars a year is going to make or break anyone. You can always bypass the increase by renewing before the deadline and also taking advantage of the multiple year renewal. If we do not want an increase then we need to decide what benefits we want to give up and convey that information to the Board.

Leary

A $5 a year increase (42 cents a month totaling $3.33 a month) -- I think I can handle that.

I really don't think the increase is unreasonable. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Happy trails to all.

Increasing dues is seldom done without careful consideration of the consequences. Every dues increase will cause some members to drop out. Will enough members stay to more than offset the lost members? Will we lose more members by cutting this service or that service? The board meeting at Bowling Green, Ohio, last summer lasted for more than 12 hours, I believe. Our officers and board are wrestling with some difficult decisions.

I believe that there has been a reduction in the paid staff at headquarters. I don't have specific numbers on the top of my head, but I'm sure someone can supply those numbers. We've had comments on the increase in the mail forwarding fees charged to members. Reductions are being made where possible.

For myself, I'll renew for the maximum multiple year renewal allowed and thus lock in the current dues for the next five years. It might seem that the organization is losing my dues for the coming years, but in reality they are getting a big payment now. That money can be invested to earn some of the difference between the old dues and the new dues.

Every member is making difficult decisions these days. What to keep, what to let go. We'll hope that most of the members will keep FMCA, but for some, the $5 will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. That is an accepted part of the decision to increase dues.

Hi, Ron.

I hope you take Brett's challenge and post what your view is that FMCA could do instead of raising membership dues. When all a person does is complain, I consider that whining. When I read about this, I took advantage of the current rate and signed up for another 5 years. Now, ya'll are stuck with me for longer than you might have thought. :rolleyes:

2 gallons of fuel, 20 miles less in a year. Out of the 10,000 miles we will be driving this year we won't even notice it. Or dry camp somewhere free for one night -- BLM or Wal-Mart and you'll be at least $20 ahead. :rolleyes:

I'm fairly new to FMCA and understand rate increases. I just renewed for 2 more years at the old rate. I like what I see at FMCA and maybe one day they will make me an offer like Good Sam did on life membership.

Take care,

Gene

Guest Wayne77590

Ron,

Have you looked at the BENEFITS that are associated with your membership? The list of benefits are many, some costing a little extra, but many are included in your dues. Even though the FMCA magazine is online, I prefer the hard copy. I can take it with me when I am sitting in waiting rooms, or whatever. How about piece of mind regarding medical evacuation in case of an emergency? How about free membership to a "new" member for Camping World for one year? What is that worth? Maybe it wasn't available when you were first a member. Also, a discount at many campgrounds for just belonging to FMCA. Looks like your member number places you in FMCA many years ago.

I"m not trying to be critical of your decision. It is one that only you can make by weighing what you get in return for your membership. I just made my decision by signing up for 5 years at the current price. That is $28 a year, or $2.33&1/3cent a month. That's not bad at all.

Good luck with your decision.

This is only the second dues increase since I joined FMCA, which was in '04, I think. Get real!!!! You'll spend $5 buying coffee and sodas, snacks, a couple of beers, whatever! I think I can afford it, and my goose egg's not going topsyturvy in protest.

Problem with turning the "goose egg" upside down in protest is that some friendly camper will offer to help you right-side the motorhome. :rolleyes:

I understand the frustration of constantly rising cost of living, between taxes, postage, and taxes (repeated for emphasis) it is hard to keep up.

Living in California, I don't see the benefit from the taxes.

At least I enjoy FMCA.

Happy Trails.

Ron - We still live in a free America, your First is safe. Regarding the dues increase; think of this - 100% of those posting thought the incease was a prudent step by the Governing Board to insure the continued benefits associated with membership in this this great association. Please, reconsider the stance you took in reversing your "goose eggs" and join the proactive side of the house.

Good luck and safe tavels to you as you enjoy this great America that we live in today. However, that is your privilidge.

Ron, as I had my $6.95 coffee at Starbucks this morning we discussed the topic of the rising cost of living. We came to the conclusion that we would start having our coffee at McDonalds, they still offer Senior discounts on coffee. This would help us all. So Ron you see we all have to make our way around these increases to adjust in other areas so we can continue to enjoy the thing we love, our families, our RVs, and last but not least FMCA. Through my membership I receive discounts at many RV parks and by golly I have saved ten bucks. Park 10 times a year and I have saved $100.00. and it only cost me $40.00 to save $60.00. So please pay what you can and I will buy you a cup of coffee at McDonalds should we ever camp together. Welcome to the Forum and I applaud your years with FMCA.

PS: Your goose egg will look better right side up and people won't think, "Didn't that old feller read his sign before he mounted it?"

Recently renewed for 3 years,,,,at the old rate.......see you in three years.......oopsssss scratch that ,,,,had a BrainRumble...

Guess I renewed for 5 years........Really optimistic....even better.......see you in 5 years.... :rolleyes:

We just joined FMCA. I received the note from the FMCA president about the rate increase before having even received our first issue of the magazine ... how special is that? All kidding aside, while the timing may have been poor, I understand the cost of doing business. And bottom line this is a business. When you compare the price of FMCA membership to the Escapees or Good Sam, FMCA is a winner all the way around. So to make my dollar go a little further I will pay ahead a few years. I appreciate the fact that the Board of Directors even offered to allow pre-renewal of dues at the lesser amount.