rfsod48

Fiver Cost/ Discounts

When I regret not having a fiver as a full timer is when I need to haul something.  Currently our personal mode of transportation is a Mini Cooper 2-door convertible.  It seems like every week I am trying to pick something up in it that won't fit.  It is times like those that I dearly miss my F350.  But then again when I pull into a gas station to pump 8 or 9 gallons of gas in it cause it is almost empty, and the lie-o-meter says I just got 33mpg with that tank, don't miss the F350 so much.

On 12/21/2017 at 8:50 AM, rfsod48 said:

Do fivers have a similar discount from retail price as class A motorhomes? What brands (manufacturers) of fivers are considered better?

I just ordered a 2018 5th wheel (Jayco North Point) and they discounted at 30% of the MSRP............if you're looking at a new 2017 that is still on a dealer's lot you should be able to negotiate at least 35% of MSRP...........hope that helps.

On 12/21/2017 at 11:15 AM, jleamont said:

Roland...when you say "Fifth wheel unit" you referring to the trailer or the hitch? Assuming the trailer itself, cant imagine why anyone would spend $100,000 on a Fifth wheel.

What's a FIVER? Sounds like something a shot of penicillin would cure :wacko:.

They are all trailers. How they hook to the motorized vehicle is either a bumper tow or a bed tow.  The term fifth wheel was a term the sales dept dreamed up to make a trailer sound more appealing.  Originally the set up was a 4 wheel pickup truck with a hitch in the bed, making it the fifth wheel.  Now it doesn't make sense because most trucks are duallys so that would be a seventh wheel.

On 3/29/2018 at 10:45 AM, jleamont said:

LOL, that says it all!! :lol: 

According to the FMCA historian the term "fifth wheel" has a practical origin that dates way back like to the 20's or 30's.  At that time spare tire/wheel assemblies were sometimes mounted laying down on the trunk deck, and referred to as the fifth wheel.  The inventor supposedly rigged a hitch in that position and thus was born the fifth wheel hitch.  P.S.  I've been camping for 20 years with owners of fifth wheel trailers and have not to this day heard them refer to them as fivers.  They apparently have just stuck with the manufacturer's description.  The first time I heard fiver used was by a host of an HGTV program about 5 years ago.

James.  Welcome to the Forum!

Informative information is always welcomed.  I started calling them 5'rs here on the Forum, easier than typing out Fifth Wheel...passed that an to friends with 5'rs, now their using it. :lol: 

Thanks to you, I can now share some historical (maybe) facts with them!

On 3/19/2018 at 3:22 PM, KRUEBBE22 said:

I just ordered a 2018 5th wheel (Jayco North Point) and they discounted at 30% of the MSRP............if you're looking at a new 2017 that is still on a dealer's lot you should be able to negotiate at least 35% of MSRP...........hope that helps.

Welcome to the forum. Have you received your new coach yet? By the way congratulations on the new RV.

Bill