jeff753

One Member One Vote

One I notice in your document is there isn't a no vote so the only alternative is abstain not exactly the representation I believe you are looking for or at least proposing.

Ray O member at large.

Of course NO VOTING  on any issue occurs until the convention in July.  This is just an effort to try to get “permission to discuss” the issue at the July 2018 Convention.  

If it were to pass at the convention— then  you would have a vote for your representatives and officers of the Association...along with all members at large.  That’s the goal. All members get a vote. 

The system presented is exactly why our founding fathers put into the constitution the Electoral College to prevent big population areas or geographical areas to over control the vote. That is why we have the Governing Board. 

4 hours ago, rossboyer said:

The system presented is exactly why our founding fathers put into the constitution the Electoral College to prevent big population areas or geographical areas to over control the vote. That is why we have the Governing Board. 

I’m not sure what that means? Today the Northeast Area has 3 times the chapters and three times the votes (national directors) than say Midwest Area.  More members in an area equals more votes like a democracy.

Back in the 80s when everyone was in a chapter it worked like a democracy. For the past 16 years less than 30% belong to chapters which has resulted in FMCA becoming an Oligarchy which means 

1. a form of government in which all power is vested in a few persons or in a dominant class or clique; government by the few.

2. a state or organization so ruled.

if you want to change that back  to a democracy see attached 

ENERGIZED_Proposals.pdf

Jeff.  You really need to see an other persons point of view!  Anyone who does not see it as you want them too...you get over defensive and argumentative!  Good luck with that.

Old saying, you catch more flies with sugar, than vinegar...your all vinegar!

In 2001 those who wrote the current FMCA's Strategic Plan (the guiding light of the Association) saw the future clearly when they wrote:

"FMCA chapters are viewed as the lifeblood of FMCA, and chapter and area rallies form the basis for FMCA-related activities. It is likely that the present membership of primarily active, mature, retired persons may want to have resources focused on doing more of the same, since it’s worked for so many years. People generally are resistant to change. At the same time, those whom FMCA seeks to attract in the future, such as those 45-to-55-year-olds nearing or thinking about retirement, and younger persons with families who can afford motorhomes, are looking for different ways to enjoy motorhomes beyond rallies, such as tailgating at sporting events, attending NASCAR races, embarking on family vacations to scenic locations, and joining caravans traveling to great destinations. How FMCA bridges the generations and their different needs will be central to its future success.

The majority of FMCA members, approximately 66%, do not belong to chapters, and it will be increasingly important to learn what the needs, wants and expectations are of this “member-at-large” group. There is a trend in some organizations, traditionally geographically based such as FMCA, toward more “interest-based” sections such as the chapters currently served by FMCA’s International Area, and this is an area that warrants further dialogue and deliberation."

Jeff,

I will be shocked if you get more than a few members of the 66% to follow you. They showed that in the recent vote on FMCA. Most members really don’t care what happens to FMCA. If there are a few discounts you can use all is fine. In my own situation the forum as a source of information is what I care about. Others have different thoughts about what they want.

We are not negative here, just not really interested in what you want to do.

2 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

Jeff,

I will be shocked if you get more than a few members of the 66% to follow you. They showed that in the recent vote on FMCA. Most members really don’t care what happens to FMCA. If there are a few discounts you can use all is fine. In my own situation the forum as a source of information is what I care about. Others have different thoughts about what they want.

We are not negative here, just not really interested in what you want to do.

I'll be shocked if we get the required signatures over the holidays to even continue the discussion at Gillette. But it is one of our goals, so we need to pursue it, regardless of the slope of the incline.

Little doubt many members don't really care what happens.  On the other hand there are members of our ENERGIZED/U60 Group that grew up with their parents with FMCA and want their kids to experience what they did. Generally these Legacy members are disappointed, to put it mildly, with the loss of "Family" in FMCA and they really do care....although they are also giving up on their memories for their KIDZ.

Discounts will fund the association but it still needs Governance and the current governance is not a democracy with voting of Elected Positions/policy decisions only allowed for less than 30% of the membership.  With Chapters folding----It's also dangerous as a shrinking group (currently 391 out of 75,000 members) with full decision making authority can be easily manipulated down a particular path.  A road to Abilene. 

Voter apathy is increased when members doubt their ability to make a difference or feel under-represented in an organization.  The vast majority of the U60 members do not belong to a Chapter therefore the vast majority of the U60 group have no vote or voice in conventions or elections.   Those votes are held by those generally over 75 years old (Geographic Chapter National Directors) No offense intended we all get older...but the current structure of Goverance is not inclusive to our age group.  That leads to people not caring....especially in our age group where we have other options and value our time. 

Jeff, I may have asked this before, but are you under 60?

I can't think of any person, that I know, in FMCA or LCIF or Shriners International, that would be against a 30+ year old taking over!  Yes, I'm no Spring chicken anymore and I keep getting asked, to take on a task that I have done, over and over before.  Why?  Because no one that's still working and raising kids, will do it !

As we said in Texas, so many years ago, "You want it?  Come and take it"!  Us "old folks are still here".  :angry:

There is a very nice Lady, who once was FMCA National President.  She is now back in a position of authority, because none of your group will take it ! :o

So, Please, stop using us, as your example, of what's wrong with FMCA.

Agree, it has degraded to stereotyping and name calling.

Please feel free to start a new topic and, let's try to keep it focused on the topic and not personalities and stereotyping of whole generations.