gkozlo

Diesel Fuel Tank Removal Ft Myers FL

gkozlo,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Does he have a problem that FUEL POLISHING would not cure?  A lot less $$ and should be easy to find in that marine area.

gkozlo,

Welcome to the Forum.

Need a bit more information. What make of coach does your brother have, model, size, gas or diesel (full or empty) and what is in his tank calling for removal? With this information there may be a solution other than removal.

Herman

guess he put diff in fuel tank not knowing it belongs in a separate tank they drained and changed filters ran for 10 min and died again belive its 35 foot with a cat engine think he said he put $200 new fuel in

So, what he really needs is someone who can safely dispose of contaminated fuel.  Check with the local Ford dealer-- DEF contaminated fuel tanks are not uncommon in PU's either. Local fire department may also have a recommendation.

And, do NOT start the engine again until all the DEF is out of tank, lines and (new) filters, or the cost of repair will jump up exponentially.

Gary, since it made its way into the fuel system I would take it to a CAT dealer, they will most likely have to tear down the fuel system and see how much damage it did. Depending on the year and engine it could sway into the, oh...my really expensive category.

I will say from experience I would get a few CAT diesels a year that had gasoline in them at the dealer (sadly common on motorhomes). Lift pump, filters, push diesel through the lines and 6 fuel injectors on the smaller engines and away you go. Bigger engines, different animal!

DEF in CAT engine.

I was not aware of any CAT engine requiring the 2010 mandate of DEF in a coach?  Thought they stopped making rec engines before 2010.

I would call Gene's Auto & Frame (239/334-7427) in Ft. Myers.  They do alignments on large rigs, towing, body repairs, etc.  Not sure how much mechanical stuff they do but when I have been there the county always has school buses and squad cars there being worked on.

Other than that I don't know who services Cat engines in this area.

2 hours ago, manholt said:

I was not aware of any CAT engine requiring the 2010 mandate of DEF in a coach?  Thought they stopped making rec engines before 2010.

Excellent point, Carl. 

Or he really has a Cummins, Brett.

When I was looking at new motorhomes and jacking with a salesman, I asked what this extra big tank was for (the DEF tank) and he said "its a reserve diesel tank".  God help any unknowing customer that may have bought from him.

21 hours ago, gkozlo said:

The place he's at only drained the tank. He needs someone capable of pulling the tank and cleaning it out right.

Thanks.

Gary

Welcome to the forum Gary. What we need is more information. what make and year of coach. What your brother needs is some one smart enough to clean all the DEF out of his fuel system and not just the tank. This will require (as Joe said) a complete tear down of the fuel system and repair/replacement of damaged parts. If you don't do this cleaning the fuel tank is a waste of money.

Bill

Even when I had the Allegro Bus, I never used the DEF pump at the Truck Stop's.  So my question is:  Is there a preset limit on how many gallons you can get from a DEF dispenser, before it shut's off?  $200 of DEF= 60 plus gallons! :P:rolleyes:

At work it became a problem, I believe when we hit 1/2 a million in damage to a few units something had to be done. We put magnetic inserts in the fill necks on the DEF tanks, the nozzles have a corresponding magnet so when you slide the nozzle in it releases a valve. Solved that, plus we only fuel a small handful of trucks on the road, everyone got training! Our diesel nozzles are all high flow (large nozzle) so it won't fit in the DEF tank. Now we only deal with washer fluid in the DEF tanks :huh:

Joe. On a coach the DEF tank is normally 13 or 15 gallons.  Mine was 13, but you could only get 9 in as the cap was bellow the top! :wacko: How big is it in your trucks? 

I don't have it on my current rig...my windshield washer fluid tank will hold a gallon!  Do your drivers really think they need a 4+ year supply? :blink: 

Carl, drivers today are not the drivers of yesterday, oh the stories I could tell you :wacko:. Technology is advancing as driver quality is rapidly depleting, if not the roads would be more dangerous than now.

Small straight trucks 4.5 gallons 

medium duty straight trucks 13 gallons 

Heavy duty tractors 15-20 gallons the larger the fuel tanks the larger the DEF tank.

MERRY CHRISTMAS. 

No unfortunately it seams the OP is not understanding what is going to be required to get that coach running. Some one told him clean the tank and that is all he want's to hear. 

Bill

2 hours ago, ISPJS said:

I don't think he is coming back.

Joe, you're relatively new to the forum but you'll soon learn we have a lot of one time posters. Aggravating to say the least.