Sign in to follow this  
mapdlpurdy

Blue Ox Patriot Braking System vs. Competition

Many class A motorhomes can be programmed so as to not turn on the brake lights when exhaust brake is activated. Most toad braking systems are activated when motorhome brake lights come on so not having them come on with the exhaust brake would keep toad brakes from being applied. They would still apply if you used the motorhome brakes. Downside is when the exhaust brake is activated, no motorhome brake lights either. Anyway, if this idea would work for you, check with your motorhome or chassis manufacturer for info on how to reprogram.

I have the M&G Engineering proportional braking system and it only comes on when I apply pressure to my brake pedal sending air to the Jeep brakes. I want all the wheels I can get braking when I apply the motorhome brakes and the harder I apply pressure in the motorhome, the harder the Jeep brakes are applied. The exhaust brake has no affect on the toad brakes.

UPDATE --- Re: Patriot braking system issues.

I did finally receive a phone call from the President of Blue Ox in response to my complaints about the Blue Ox Patriot Braking system. (I assume that someone in the company read my complaint in the FMCA forum!). He agreed to send a factory representative to my home to verify the continual adjustment problems with the original unit and the tech replaced the Patriot system with a brand new unit that had updated software. Additinally, they provided a new prototype plastic spacer that attached to the unit with velcro strips where the unit presses against the front of the driver's seat when it activates. This seemed to help with the set up procedure. The new unit has worked fine in terms of set-up and adjustment for 2 long trips through both the Rocky Mtns and the Northeast states for over 9,000+ miles. The unit usually sets up and adjusts the first time now. Apparently, the original unit was faulty.

The only issue since is that since the unit slides on the floor somewhat when the brake activates, one of the adjustable feet screws broke the plastic foot screw anchor points on the unit. I had to take it apart and 'super-glue' it back together and it has since held up. I do believe that there are some design issues that could be improved on this unit, (it's manufactured for Blue Ox by another company) but, as far as it working correctly, the new unit, with the new software, has seemed to fix the problem with set-up and adjustment that I was experiencing.

On a different note, I've found that the Blue Ox Aventa 10,000 lb tow bar is excellent. Very stout. Very easy to hook-up. Attractive and very functional unit.

Mr. Johnson,

I have the new version of the Patriot (purchased 2013)--they did make changes in software and i have had no problems. In reference to sliding issue, i have the weather all rubber mats in my tow and had same problem--how i have addressed is an 18 x 18 carpet sample i put under Patriot with the right edge (back edge) resting against seat floor mounting frame--there may be better or different solutions but this has worked for me. Best wishes for continued and safe travels.

Mike & Shirley

I'm not sure if I would elect to.

I'm not sure if I would elect to.

Please note...you're commenting on a post thats 4 years old. Lots of technology has changed in 4 years.