rgarretttn

Solar Panels For 2008 Travel Supreme

Need help and input on solar cell installed on 2008 Travel Supreme.

Could use information if someone has one on roof above shower, sink area.

We have a 10 Watt that is not functional and would like to replace.

Not sure of use or where/what it is connected to.

Any help or advise is appreciated.

Thanks.

Ron

If you do not know what it is connected to, how would one know that it is dysfunctional? LOL :wub:. Now more seriously, cause the devil made me do it. 10 watts is not much of a solar install, could only possibly power a very small motor or maybe a 8 to 10 watt light, could be a fridge vent power source or a roof vent for bathroom venting. If you are asking about possibly upgrading to a larger solar unit for powering other devices, please let us know so we can help with planning. Otherwise there usually are many choices for replacing a 10 watt unit, Places such as Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, and many other places sell some very useful charge units ranging from 10 to 20 watts for maintaining a battery while in storage, that could as easily be used to replace your 10 watt unit. There is only 2 things that are necessary for 12 volt solar, first a solar cell, most are 12 volts, few are 24 volt, and a charge controller which will regulate the unit for the purpose of not overcharging a battery. Happy Holidays, Kay

Yes what do you whant it to do? How much room do you have dimensionally length and width.  What Travel Supreme? What size? Please pardon my ignorance. As Kay said there are many choices. I have installed several and am doing one in a couple weeks for another forum reader large enough to power a large Class A Pusher on my way to Quartzsite. I have the same system on my coach.   Glad to help.

Merry Christmas to all

RV service technician said cell was not functional.  Would like to install a solar cell large enough to keep batteries charged and possible running lights and refrigerator, if there is room on top.  Located manufacturer of current solar cell and they have a 40 W.   Have not order or purchased one yet.  Travel Supreme is 42 DSO4 - 43 ft.    I will be at RV later this week and will get measurements for size I can install.  Do not like hooking up one until I locate what it is powering.  Appreciate your help and advice.  Great advice from both.  Thanks.  Merry Christmas. 

Your Solar cell is probably still good, but it's not hooked up.  I have the same thing, it was suppose to keep my drive batteries charged.  Why yours and mine never got fully installed?  That's anybody's guess!

Send a PM to rsbilledwards, he'll help you!

Happy Christmas Season

40 watts will trickle charge a battery only. If you want to power refrige and lights and really service drawn down batteries from normal living you will need a lot more than a 40 watt cell. $2,500 in material costs will build a simple system that you can easily dry camp with and generally cover "all" you needs. There are of course limitations, but the frige, lights, microwave, and TV can be covered. Size and battery type will also be a determining factor.

You have two systems to deal with house and chassis. That "little" cell can be directed to the chassis batteries to keep them topped off when not in use. The wiring for that cell will be too small to be effective for any additional panels added too it's circuit as it is unlikely to be bigger than 12 or 14 AWG. 

What it is powering is this, a trickle to your batteries, house, and possibly to the CO and fire/smoke detectors, that is it. I may not even have a controller in it's system. It will not be servicing the chassis batteries directly but possibly thru an echo charger.

Since the coach is a 40 footer there will be plenty of room to put an adequate system to serve your needs.

I suggest you visit www.handybobsolar.com for a through introduction to the use and construction of a useful solar system. It is a a comprehensive look at what works and what does not. Pay particular attention to the "Charging puzzle".