Sign in to follow this  
gregryan@windstream.net

Renting a Motorhome

Wow that's a hard one. I understand CampingWorld now has rentals. CruiseAmerica. There appear to be dozens of major rental portals. As for expensive, compared to car rental and hotels, or just hotels and meals. But that is another essay.

My children have looked into rental, but it was beyond their ability...we just offer our rig to them, works for us.

You may find private rentals, but unless you know the person offering the motorhome I would be hesitant. You are basing the entire vacation around a sound, well maintained vehicle. If something breaks you want a contract that specifies action, whether it is hotel accommodations, a replacement unit, or whatever...and get it in writing.

About 40 years ago we considered renting a motorhome for a family vacation. Then, there were no major rental agencies. After looking through the available inventory, finding disgusting coaches, units with low mileage and high live-in usage, units smelling of smoke and fish.....etc...yeck. Long story short, we purchased our first unit, an Establishment 28ft C, and have been taking motorhome vacations ever since.

Happy Trails.

Hi classCmotorhomes,

You have a great idea to rent a coach for a month long trip. For me, looking only at the cost might not be the best way to make the decision. The first thing is to GOOGLE "RV rental". All the big companies will be there for you to look into. When the comparison was done between a RV trip and a hotel trip, did you look at all the costs for both ways to travel? I haven't done this for quite some time, but the last time I made the comparison, the $s came out pretty close. The $ advantage was to the hotel way to travel, but not by much. When one does these comparisons many of the questions to be answered are personal preference. That means a lot when comparing only the $s. Things like:

1. eating out vs eating at the coach/CG

2. the real fuel mileage

3. additional maintenance on your own vehicle vs the built into the rental cost of maintenance on the coach

4. the comparison should assume no breakdown cost. However, your vehicle breakdown(s) are your cost. Coach breakdown repairs are included in the rental price.

5. How many motel rooms will you really need, if you go by car?

The intangible items to look at are:

1. riding in a car vs a coach. For me, there is no way I would take my 3 Gkids around the USA (we do this every year for 2 months) in a car. The only way to show them the USA is in a coach.

2. The car trip requires hauling all your stuff into the motel and returning, the stuff, to the car when you move. In the coach once it is packed, that's it.

3. Laundry can be done at the campground. How will you clean your cloths on the trip by car.

4. In the coach, everybody gets a window seat.

5. In a coach, your higher than in a car. Much better view.

6. In my travels, with two generations of kids, I've never heard "are we there yet". There have also been no fights about anything.

7. Except for the driver, bathroom breaks can be taken while moving down the road.

I'm sure others will have more things for you to consider.

We have been camping for years. I have pictures of my daughter sitting in her stroller, tent camping at Black Water Falls WV. When she turned 8 this past year I felt it was a good age show her the some of the county out west.

We have a 2004 Popup tent camper that we love and have used it up and down the east coast and Canada. The trip to from Maryland to California would require something else. We needed something that would be self contained for boon docking on the way out and back. Once we got further west we planned on stopping for a few nights here and there as we traveled. I looked at renting a unit too but decided that purchasing an used unit would work better. It took us about 6 months to find the right motor home. Features, mileage, floor plan. You can find some really good deals.

The unit I bought was a 1995 Fleetwood Bounder 35uw with only 10K miles and 150 hours on the generator. Simple design, no slides (which maximizes floor space while traveling), basic F53 Ford chassis and Ford 460 motor for easy, inexpensive repairs that almost any Ford mechanic can work on. Slides are great for extended stays, but when moving often, we do not feel closed in while on the rode with our floor plan. Units without slides tend cost less since most folks are looking for the slides.

If I had to sell it right now, even at a loss, we have had a great year and have traveled over 10,000 miles with no regrets. The motor home is in better condition now then when I bought it. It would have cost me about $6000 to rent one for the 10,000 miles I have put on this unit. I believe I could sell this unit at a loss of half that right now and if I was in no hurry, someone would purchase it for what I have in it.

You will need to find the right unit. I am able to perform most of my repairs and maintenance. My regular mechanic can take care of what I can not or do not want to work on. I would recommend the FMCA roadside assistance (just in case). I already had a Jeep to use as a toad so my only cost was the tow bar and brakes for it. I like the ReadyBrake for its simple, functional design. We have been 10,000 miles with it and it has worked great.

I thought about purchasing a travel trailer but felt the motor home would be more comfortable for everyone and the Jeep would not tow much. I did not want to have to purchase a truck to pull something larger.

If you decide to purchase, be sure you shake it down throughly before heading out. My dad has sold motor homes for 30+ years and if it can go wrong it will. You have to be flexible and remember you are on vacation. If something goes wrong you adjust your plans.

My biggest problem now is to convince my wife to let me sell the popup and keep the motor home. We love the motor home camping now and would really miss it but the popup is paid for.

Good luck!

Hi classCmotorhomes,

You have a great idea to rent a coach for a month long trip. For me, looking only at the cost might not be the best way to make the decision. The first thing is to GOOGLE RV rental. All the big companies will be there for you to look into. When the comparison was done between a RV trip and a hotel trip, did you look at all the costs for both ways to travel? I haven't done this for quite some time, but the last time I made the comparison, the $s came out pretty close. The $ advantage was to the hotel way to travel, but not by much. When one does these comparisons many of the questions to be answered are personal preference. That means a lot when comparing only the $s. Things like:

1. eating out vs eating at the coach/CG

2. the real fuel mileage

3. additional maintenance on your own vehicle vs the built into the rental cost of maintenance on the coach

4. the comparison should assume no breakdown cost. However, your vehicle breakdown(s) are your cost. Coach breakdown repairs are included in the rental price.

5. How many motel rooms will you really need, if you go by car?

The intangible items to look at are:

1. riding in a car vs a coach. For me, there is no way I would take my 3 Gkids around the USA (we do this every year for 2 months) in a car. The only way to show them the USA is in a coach.

2. The car trip requires hauling all your stuff into the motel and returning, the stuff, to the car when you move. In the coach once it is packed, that's it.

3. Laundry can be done at the campground. How will you clean your cloths on the trip by car.

4. In the coach, everybody gets a window seat.

5. In a coach, your higher than in a car. Much better view.

6. In my travels, with two generations of kids, I've never heard "are we there yet". There have also been no fights about anything.

7. Except for the driver, bathroom breaks can be taken while moving down the road.

I'm sure others will have more things for you to consider.

thanks for this reply very helpful and in depth I wish more members would contibute like this