redandsilver

Do You Have A Motorcycle With You While RV'ing?

7 hours ago, manholt said:

Rick, good eye.  Maybe just the way the pictures where taken?

No it's definitely off-set as to the saddle bolt orientation of the platform's pivot arms/rams but after going back and re-reading Seddin's post he did state that its one of Hydralift-USA (HL) Trike lifts that was modified for him to carry the pair of MCs so I gather the offset was in the original design of the lift to better handle balance and weight distribution of a Trike (which is heaver on the back end). Just caught my eye having never seen one offset like that.

Seddin, please excuse my previous questions on your lift set-up as it's clearer to me now.

Not sure how I fit into this question, but the answer is....soon.
I've always towed either a Jeep or in rare cases, my pickup, behind my Itasca Suncruiser.  But my wife passed away and now towing a vehicle becomes a real hassle.  When I go places, I can't de-hitch and let her drive the car in.  Some places, like Fort Wilderness, want you to de-hitch near the check-in and drive both to your site.  That's a real problem.  So I'm in the middle of buying a used 2015 Honda CB300F that I plan to put on a hitch carrier.  This little bike only weighs 348 lbs. so I don't expect it to give my hitch much trouble.  I'll be putting it on the "Ultimate MX Hauler Ramp" so this old 67 year old coot doesn't have to run it up a ramp.  You pull the bike on the ramp, strap it down, then lift it with one of those hydraulic bottle jacks.  Wish I could talk my Street Glide on this carrier, but it's only rated for 400 lbs.  My rig is a gasser.  It doesn't have the frame that a diesel rear pusher has and I've read too many horror stories about people who put these really heavy lifts on the back of a gas frame and ended up bending the frame.  This little Honda can cruise at 70 all day long.  It's very easy to ride and can take me to sight-seeing locations and go get a loaf of bread.  But I WILL be using the motorhome for the big shopping trips.  I'll stock up before I leave or at Walmart between destinations.  I'll just use the bike to get small stuff.

2015-honda-cb300f-4.jpg

51AsPyUPQhL.jpg

Sorry for your loss, you have my sympathy!

Too each his own!  I drove a DP for 27 years, by myself, towing a Silverado 4 x 4 Duramax for 8 years, with a Trike in the bed, and had no problem unhitching or hitching up! 2 Chevy Colorado's and 3, Jeep Wrangler's!  They make electric bike, rail stands that goes right into p/u beds, then you can learn to hook up truck, no big deal and take everything with you.

Before I came along, my fiance Linda, was traveling in her 40 foot DP with a Ford Expedition as a toad...if a 70 year old woman (64-70) can do it...so should you! 

There's a difference between can, should and want to.  I've made several trips towing my truck and my Jeep.  Certainly CAN make those trips and probably will again during colder weather.  Just want to travel lighter.  And can't put the Harley in the truck.  My hitch has a 5,000 lbs limit.  Gassers don't have the same capacity that DP's do.  My Silverado is already a tiny bit past that.  Wouldn't feel safe adding electric ramps and 800 lbs, of motorcycle.  

Interesting subject for us. Been riding motorcycles for close to 40 years. Always dreamed and planned for the day we could retire in an RV and take the motorcycle with us, and last year it happened. 38 ft gasser pulling a 14 ft enclosed trailer. Works great, but, back when we were planning and dreaming about this we didn't think about being 64 years old and only having a MC for transportation. So.....After doing a ton of online searching and thankfully realizing that I'm not crazy, since a lot of other people were trying to do the same thing, I've figured out what we're going to do. I've ordered a "deck over dolly" trailer and purchased a small Ford Fiesta to dolly. All together it will weigh around 44 to 4500 lbs. Still waiting on the trailer to be delivered. This would not be my first choice, but given that budget and weight restrictions were an issue, this was our answer. Anxious to hit the road. Heading to Lajitas/Big Bend in February but the trailer won't be here yet so MC only for this trip.