redandsilver

Do You Have A Motorcycle With You While RV'ing?

I was just wondering how many of you have a motorcycle with you while RV'ing?

In my case I ONLY have motorcycles (2) with me.  No 4 wheel vehicles at all.  And I'm not about to use the MH to go get groceries.

There are a few people in the RV park I'm in that have motorcycles but one has a car and a motorcycle and the other has a truck and a motorcycle.

So I wonder if I'm alone in only having motorcycles?  But that is one of the main reasons I'm in FL now,  is so I CAN ride during the Winter which I can't do back at home.

But my question is - do you have a motorcycle with you - and if so,  how did you transport it along with the RV you are in?

Karl,

Have seen a number of folks with MC with them. As you said some have Pick Ups some have trailers and have even seen some with just a Motorcycle lift without a tow vehicle. However you may have to use a small trailer since you have two bikes.

Herman

Thanks Herman.

I was just interested in how many people carry, bring, or use a motorcycle while RV'ing.

I do have a trailer as I have both my bikes with me - if one broke down, I wouldn't be totally stranded.

Somewhat surprised that no one has answered the thread question - Do you have a motorcycle with you while RV'ing?

I know it's the holiday season and many people are busy with getting ready to travel after the holidays are over.

Oh well - I was just curious........

I have traveled with 2 bikes in my 5th wheel R1200GS and FE450 Husky but now with the Foretravel I will either use a  trailer and bring them or just get a hitch carrier for the Husky. I am in the process of putting a sidecar on the GS so it wont fit on a hitch carrier.  :lol:

No motorcycle, sold it when we went full time.  No longer have the bug but I still recall some great rides. 

St. Louis to Lake Havasu City, AZ one year for spring break, cold, rain, flu.  Snow on the roadsides in Flagstaff, great to get into the desert and smell the flowers.  Met Louise's mother for first time.  Rained all day the last day returning.That ride proved Louise was a gamer so I married her that winter.  Just celebrated 25 years last week.

Mississippi River, River Road, St. Louis to headwaters, Lake Itasca in MN, crossed the Mississippi on every bridge going both directions.  Fourth of July in campground in Minneapolis.  We're in a tent, some idiot built a campfire with several wood pallets.  Flames 30 feet high!  Nearly drowned in storms on the way from St. Paul, MN to Wisconsin.  Spent that night in a motel with a hot tub.  Paul Bunyan and his Blue Ox standing guard outside the motel.  Crossed border into Canada and couldn't get Canadian Pike in restaurant because there was no shipment from US because of the 4th of July holiday! :wacko:

Poured water out of our boots on the way to the Corvette Museum, Bowling Green, KY.  Visited Mammoth Cave, rode through Thoroughbred and Bluegrass country to Louisville and KY Horse Park then froze all the way back to St. Louis.  I went out for pizza while Louise soaked in a hot bath in hotel on way home.  Hauling pizza and beer on a motorcycle!

Rode to Hilton Head, SC to visit Louise's oldest daughter.  Summertime, hot weather all the way.  Spent considerable amount of time working on bike!

Did a weekend tour of Missouri wine country, came home with a case of wine in the saddle bags.  Loved staying at biker motels.

Then I took up flying!  More great stories...

Super8.  Welcome to 2018.

Hydralift makes several different hydraulic systems for back of coach, I have a HD Trike that I took with me for a number of years and it had a hitch also, for my Jeep as a toad.  If a Golf cart will fit, so will a MC with side car! :D  My trike is 71 inches wide and 108 inches long!  For Sale.

I take my Road Glide Ultra in a Chevrolet Avalanche behind the Motorhome wherever we go.  Spend the Winter in Florida where riding is great. Rode 8K miles in 2017. 

18 hours ago, manholt said:

Super8.  Welcome to 2018.

Hydralift makes several different hydraulic systems for back of coach, I have a HD Trike that I took with me for a number of years and it had a hitch also, for my Jeep as a toad.  If a Golf cart will fit, so will a MC with side car! :D  My trike is 71 inches wide and 108 inches long!  For Sale.

That look interesting, what do they run about 10 coach bucks?  :o

Best advice on installing one on a Foretravel is to gather this information and call James Triana at Foretravel Factory:

Front and rear axle weights when loaded as you travel

Total weight of lift and what you will be carrying on it.

Since there IS a frame under the heavy driveline components (rear of the rear bulkhead) I am not sure the answer will be any different than any DP, but James would be the one to ask.

Thanks Brett,  When I go pick it up someday, I am going to try and get a plant tour and ask a lot more question of them "LOL"

Currently we are full time with a HD TG plus a car.  We tow them in an enclosed trailer.  The first time we sold a home and went full time I sold my Harley (white Wide Glide) because we bought a fiver.  Then we ended up buying another home but this time in Florida.  We switched to a gas coach and traveled during the summer pulling an open trailer and only our HD Ultra Classic, no car.  Last year we traded for the HD TG and towed it all over out west for the summer.

I am almost finished getting my enclosed set up.  I have all the Gladiator cabinets installed plus the wiring in.  The chock is mounted and all tie downs are now in place. I installed my window in the side last week.   I still have to build a small work bench in the front V and it will be finished.  I am doing my first oil change on the Harley in my new "garage" this week.  

Joe S.  Your going to hate yourself if you don't add a small generator and a AC unit, or just the AC unit.

Carl

We purchased a coach about 2 years ago now that had a Hydralift trike set up on it. Don't have a trike but we haul two mid size bikes. Hydra lift customized a platform for us to put the two bikes on. Works great. With both of us riding for over 40 years we couldn't imagine not traveling without motorcycles. The lift has a 1300 lb. capacity and both bikes together weigh under 900 lbs. We both have had big bikes and love the weight of midsize motorcycles.  Lots of roads in the US to yet explore. We also pull our Jeep JKU for the wet, cold times. 

We have two MC's as well that we tow in a trailer.  Depending on the weather, activities and location, we often just pick up a cheap rental car for part or all of our stay.  Provided we are staying two or more nights.  It ends up for us to be cheaper than outfitting a flat tow and cheaper than a lift.  Look at the cost of these and figure maybe $35 a day for a vehicle rent.  Can do a lot of renting and not have the hassle of equipment or rigging.

Oh, forgot to say that we rent around or close to where we stay.  Not rental for a whole trip from our origin.  So we rent locally where or near where we stay.   Sometimes we pick up a car on the way near where we are going to be parked.

On any thread about hanging 1000 plus pounds on the back of a DP,  we would be remiss in not discussing the material shift in weight this causes.

The issue is that that weight is not over or even close to the rear axle, but 10 or so feet BEHIND the rear axle.  So, it adds well more than its actual weight to the rear axle and SUBTRACTS weight (leverages weight) from the front axle.

In many cases, this weight transfer is enough to overload the rear axle AND to negatively affect handling by removing weight from the front axle.

Please, check with both your chassis and coach manufacturer before making a decision that could materially and negatively affect your coach ride, handling and safety.

I have a coach with a HydraLift welded to the frame in back. It’s my second coach with the HydraLift  My bike is a Harley dresser and it works great. Have an extension for the hitch receiver to which I hook up my Jeep Grand Cherokee to flat tow  works well