redandsilver

Do You Have A Motorcycle With You While RV'ing?

We use to pull a car trailer with a car and R1200RT BMW bike inside. We had Electric over Hydraulic disk brakes on the trailer. One of the flexible brake lines popped out of the metal end fittings and was shooting brake fluid onto the rotor with a subsequent fire. Got everything under control: no big deal. But later after thinking about the fire, Ellen got a little scared about pulling the trailer. So, last Winter, I installed a Hydra Lift and recessed it into the back of the coach to reduce the leverage point. The bike is all we had for the entire Summer. Grocery shopping was a breeze, with Paineers (hard saddle bags) and the double helmet Top case (Case behind the passenger). Gas mileage was a lot better and parking was easier and more room on each side!! Sometimes we could even park right up close to the stores' entrances.

If I was to pull 4 wheels down again; it would still be an enclosed trailer! Less wear and tear on an expensive car and a heck of a lot more protection for the car and bike! We pulled a trailer for 15 years and in that time, we only needed to have the trailer away from the coach, maybe five or six times. The only down side is that, we accumulated a lot of supplies and weight in the trailer. So, having the bike only meant 14,300 lbs less weight to pull, making going up hills a lot faster, less wear and tear on the coach's Cummins 500, drive train and fuel economy!

AND: My wife was pleasantly surprised and  is really looking forward to another Summer on the bike, without a car. Please note: I am 76 going on 77 and Ellen is up there close. We've been married going on 58 years, and if we go; we go together: in more ways than one!

So our vote is for a motorcycle ONLY!!

installing.jpeg

www.fastmail.com.jpeg

www.fastmail.com.jpeg

www.fastmail.com.jpeg

www.fastmail.com.jpeg

www.fastmail.com.jpeg

Some of you, might want to look at a one bike carrier in front of your coach, especially if you have a long rear from drive axel. 

We always travel with our motorcycles.  At first we had a 16' enclosed trailer and took two street bikes and two dirt bikes with us.  That was cumbersome due to the length and some site restrictions, and of course, not having a four-wheeled vehicle at times when needed.  We found we really didn't need that combination.  We switched to a Hydra-Lift on the back of the coach (needs a tag axle), switched to two nominally dual-sport bikes, modified the 1300lb rated trike-lift (Hydra-lift did it for us) to hold the two bikes each weighing in at a little over 400lb wet.  Then there is a short extension to the lift to which we attach our Jeep Wrangler 4-door.  Works really well, and we have done that for two seasons now.

IMG_1608.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1610.JPG

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Some of you, might want to look at a one bike carrier in front of your coach, especially if you have a long rear from drive axel. 

Never seen one.  Got any pics or links to images.

In my case that probably wouldn't work too well as my fuel fill is in the front and a bike would have to be lowered to add any fuel.

But I would still like to see a lift in the front.

R&S.

I have had 17 class A's!  None of them had a fuel fill in front of coach...by driver and passenger, way back on DS but never in front. :P:blink: I have seen a lot of Rexhall's, I guess I didn't pay attention to where does the fuel go (who looks for that?)!

My last front MC carrier was built in Gary, IN.  We drove up from Texas and had it installed on the front of a 1981 Apollo 31 foot gasser, then transferred it to a 1983 Apollo 33 foot.  Then it went on the front of a 1987 DP Barth 34 foot Custom! 

It was in the advertising section in back of the FMCA Magazine until about 1990 is the last time I saw it.  Ask FMCA for a copy of the 1985 (to be safe), any month magazine.

Our 2003 Alpine 38FDDS had a FRONT fuel fill.  You had to extend the nose to fuel.

Only one of our three  DP coaches where you did have to extend the nose to fuel.

8 hours ago, manholt said:

Putting a bike of substantial weight on front can have a really bad effect on steering components and TIRES. I've been a mechanic and service director for more than a few dealerships. Do Not load the front end. It was not made for hauling!!!

Until BOTH axles are weighted, all is speculation. 

There are a number of DP's that really could use more weight on the front axle. 

Our Safari was certainly one-- terrible weight distribution, with even the generator 8' behind the rear axle. Of the 22,150 total coach weight, only 7,050 was on the front axle. An additional 1,000 pounds on the front axle would have improved both ride and handling.

40 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

An additional 1,000 pounds on the front axle would have improved both ride and handling.

We used to do this by custom building a "Cow Catcher", for the front out of steel tubing of 3, 4, or 5 inch metal tube then fill it with the metal punches from a machine shop, they could be purchased at scrap metal prices. It would sure improve that underweight feel on the front axel. There is a youtube video of a front mounted motorcycle on a C class.

Good morning, yes we travel with our HD Ultra glide. Our Tiffin DP is a 34’ and manufacturer indicated putting a 1,000 lb bike on a hydra lift not a good idea. We bought a 10’ Aluma trailer M10 and my husband modified it by screwing to the floor on the trailer a bike guide track with a stop. Works beautifully and doesn’t shift around or move with tie downs. Do wish we had thought of the 16ft enclosed that would have doubled as a mini coop hauler also. 

As I said above: Putting a bike of substantial weight on front can have a really bad effect on steering components and TIRES. I've been a mechanic and service director for more than a few dealerships. Do Not load the front end. It was not made for hauling!!!

Any dealer that puts a motorcycle carrier on front of a coach, had better have the coach owner sign a waiver of responsibility, drawn up by an attorney, because coaches aren't designed to haul in front. In fact to put a motorcycle on front of a Class C is even worse, because they are basically Pickup truck frames, with cooling systems up front also. People may just learn the hard way, either in a crash or expensive front end/steering, suspension, etc,  repairs. Then again, some people just have to do it their way, and maybe even install a front motorcycle rack themselves, which leaves them wide open for law suits, when the inevitable  happens.

f330021.

With all due respect for your knowledge.  2 bikes on front, Trooper II as toad, 3 coaches and over 120,000 miles in 9 years, all over the USA including Alaska and Canada.  No problems.  This was, in coaches built in 1980's!  2 was Class A, Gas and 1 Class A, DP all under 34 foot.  Guess we just built better back then! :)

8 hours ago, f330021 said:

In fact to put a motorcycle on front of a Class C is even worse, because they are basically Pickup truck frames, with cooling systems up front also.

Totally agree.  PU's and Class C's are certainly not designed for mounting anything in the front-- from either front GAWR or air flow.

Also agree, there are a number of DP's with front axle weight already near the GAWR. 

But, there are exceptions (as I posted above based on FACTS, not speculation). So, my advice is the same-- weigh the axles when loaded as you go down the road to verify if you can even carry one, and then on which axle. Installing any weight on the back of our Safari DP would have lead to dangerous underloading of the front axle and the scary/dangerous handling that would come with it.

I have a 12' utility trailer we pull behind our 24' Class C.  The trailer holds my BMW 1600GT, with a small Unigo (one wheel) bike trailer, along with a small Honda 125.  We use the BMW as our 'Toad' for sightseeing, and longer multi day trips from the MH.  Running errands for most parts and groceries is a breeze.  We use to tent camp using the bike trailer for gear.  I looked at Toy haulers (TT's, 5er's, and MH's), but since I had the utility trailer, and didn't own a truck, this was the best starting point for us.

Being from Michigan, I ride in all types of weather, as long as the snow and ice are off the road.  40+ temp is almost normal, 30+ is doable, but again, I'm from Michigan, and addicted to riding, so riding from late March to early November, you have to be ready.  :-)

We have our motorcycle with us and tow our Jeep.  We had a hydraulic lift (Hydralift) installed on the rear of our coach, so our Harley can go where we go.  And, towing the Jeep is great for grocery runs and rainy days.

Jackdor.  Welcome to the Forum!

What make & Model bike you got?  Also same info on coach that you got your lift on?  Toad?

Our Set-Up;

Special build Hydralift HLA Platform spec. designed for street legal 1,200 lb. Garia 2+2 LSV

Prior to purchase of both the Garia and the Hydralift; we consulted with both Newmar and Spartan on capacity and load implications as well as with Hydralift on the design & engineering of the lift which includes strengthen alloy and heavier hydraulics than their conventional MC lifts. In terms of capacity, there are no issues as our coach and its K3 chassis has a 20k lb. towing capacity. As well, following professional installation, the coach was  properly weighed and ride height adjustment was made.

Width of the Garia is 108" with rear 1-pc. passenger handrail/license plate/3rd brake light removed which we stow in a basement compartment when transporting it.

All in, has been and remains trouble free.

IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_4066.JPG

IMG_2403.JPG

On January 3, 2018 at 1:15 PM, seddins said:

We always travel with our motorcycles.  At first we had a 16' enclosed trailer and took two street bikes and two dirt bikes with us.  That was cumbersome due to the length and some site restrictions, and of course, not having a four-wheeled vehicle at times when needed.  We found we really didn't need that combination.  We switched to a Hydra-Lift on the back of the coach (needs a tag axle), switched to two nominally dual-sport bikes, modified the 1300lb rated trike-lift (Hydra-lift did it for us) to hold the two bikes each weighing in at a little over 400lb wet.  Then there is a short extension to the lift to which we attach our Jeep Wrangler 4-door.  Works really well, and we have done that for two seasons now.

IMG_1608.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1610.JPG

Noticed that your left saddle bolt mount and your diagonal outrigger chain is on the outside of the hyd. ram and pivot arm frame. As well, that the platform does not appear to be centered on the horizontal frame arms. Any reason why the lift was installed such a manner? Was the Hydralfit spec'd new for your particular coach or one you had on a previous coach or possibly bought used?  Not implying anything has been done wrong, just curious.