leaveittobeaver

First Time Buying New RV Tires

I had an Itasca gas with 19.5 inch tires that I owned from 2010 until bought a "new" to me motorhome June 2017. The Itasca had brand new tires in 2010 so I never had the pleasure of deciding on new tires.

Well it is time! My Toyo M120 255/70R/22.5 front tires were manufactured 4209 and 0110

The 4 rear Toyos are M140 at 275/70R/22.5 and dates are on the inside but are older than 2010 for sure.

All tires still look great both tread and sidewalls but before I do my next 3000 mile trip I think I should replace.

My question is front tires are different width than back. Should I stay with same sizing for these positions? Or one size for all positions and if so which size?

Vehicle is a 1996 Beaver Patriot Trenton with Caterpillar engine.

Any Beaver owners know what it came from the factory with?

I have a similar coach `1999 Safari 455  Panther. your coach probably came originally with larger 275s. They will haul a larger weight at a slightly lower air pressure leading to a nicer ride. However the 275 may not fit the front tire space at maximum turning stop and hence the reason for the differential. If the larger tire will not fit i would stick with the setup. There is no other reason to change this set up.  There should be a sticker around the drivers area or in a cabinet above the passenger seat with original tire sizes in all locations. If the 275 does not fit in front then the original tire was the 255. It was the common tire for all Safari and Beaver coaches. The larger tire was common for all the larger big engine coaches Beaver and Safari   

What engine is in the coach?

Thanks for the response. It has a caterpillar 3126 diesel engine on a Magnum chassis. I did find the plate you mentioned and it states 255/70r/22.5 front and rear so I guess I will go with 6 new 255/70R/22.5.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate the response.

Mike

Until you learn your actual "4 corner weights" it is best to inflate the tires to the inflation specified on the spec sheet where  you found the tire size.

Before buying new tires, I WOULD have front axle weights.  It is certainly possible that the previous owner found the front tires overloaded and went to the next larger size/higher load range.

If the larger size does offer you more safety reserve and larger tires are not interfering with body/suspension as you turn, only other question is to verify that the wheel size is OK with the wider tires.  Wheel size will be on the GVWR plate and you can also read it off the inside of the wheel (look at one of the rears, as the markings will be facing out).

Would agree but Leaveittobeaver said that the from tires were 255s and the rear were 275s. He also said that the data plate called for 255/75R/22.5 all around. Could understand if the 275s were on the front for better weight capacity, but not the other way around.  275s on the rear would make the speedo off if it was set for 255s.

Herman

I need to buy new tires all around.   I'm looking at the FMCA/Michelin program.    I don't travel alot of miles/day...no more than 400 and generally stay regional.

Has anyone purchased the Goodrich ST230 (245/70/19.5)....it is a much better price than Michelins and is made by Michelin.   It is a G load....I currently have an F load.

My travels are normally Spring and Fall.    I don't like to travel in the RV summer or winter being in Texas.    My current tires are weathered more than tread wear.

The recommended Michelin dealer thru FMCA/Michelin  states the Goodrich would work fine for me.....however, I do like Michelins but the price difference for 6 tires when the dust settles is over $1200.   I have a motorhome metal cover and covers for the tires, so I try to keep the tires well protected when not in use.

I realize I'll get a little rougher ride than a Michelin XRV with an F load, but I'm not a full timer going cross country.....go out about once a month to a local rally or tri-state area.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you.

27 minutes ago, bevnicka1 said:

Goodrich ST230

Yes, put 6 on our coach March 2017 (different size), ran them last season. No issues and they didn't feel any different than the Michelin XZE2 that came off. 

7 hours ago, bevnicka1 said:

I need to buy new tires all around.   I'm looking at the FMCA/Michelin program.    I don't travel alot of miles/day...no more than 400 and generally stay regional.

Has anyone purchased the Goodrich ST230 (245/70/19.5)....it is a much better price than Michelins and is made by Michelin.   It is a G load....I currently have an F load.

My travels are normally Spring and Fall.    I don't like to travel in the RV summer or winter being in Texas.    My current tires are weathered more than tread wear.

The recommended Michelin dealer thru FMCA/Michelin  states the Goodrich would work fine for me.....however, I do like Michelins but the price difference for 6 tires when the dust settles is over $1200.   I have a motorhome metal cover and covers for the tires, so I try to keep the tires well protected when not in use.

I realize I'll get a little rougher ride than a Michelin XRV with an F load, but I'm not a full timer going cross country.....go out about once a month to a local rally or tri-state area.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you.

Welcome to the forum. I was worried about ride when I replaced my tires as I went up to a H from G. Haven't had any problems and they ride fine.

If you add your coach and some other info to your Signature it will help to get better answers when you ask questions. Where are you located?

Bill