Squinko

Homer, Alaska RV Parks

We are heading up to Homer, Alaska in mid June. We plan to stay for a month. We have some friends who live there so Homer is a perfect place to set up our base camp. We plan to adventure out with the Jeep and see other parts of Alaska. 

I have been doing some research on the RV parks up there and was wandering if anyone could give some first hand advise on which park they prefer in Homer.  They all look good on the internet and our friends suggested we stay at the Heritage RV Park on the Spit.  I guess it gets pretty windy when camping on the Spit.  We are looking for monthly rates which not all parks offer up there. 

Let me know what you think!  

We are in a 40' Damon Tuscany and towing a 2015 Jeep 4dr Wrangler.

Thanks, 

Benny. 

Benny, My first thought when I saw you Topic Title  "Homer Alaska RV Parks", was why in the H would you be looking this time of the year then I read further. JUNE, It may be a bad time for your friend to be looking at the RV Parks now. Most are probably closed and under snow. We have never been there but it is on our bucket list. Wildbill  may know where to park there. Good Luck and have a great adventure when you go.

Herman 

12 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Benny, My first thought when I saw you Topic Title  "Homer Alaska RV Parks", was why in the H would you be looking this time of the year then I read further. JUNE, It may be a bad time for your friend to be looking at the RV Parks now. Most are probably closed and under snow. We have never been there but it is on our bucket list. Wildbill  may know where to park there. Good Luck and have a great adventure when you go.

Herman 

Thanks. When I asked my friends where the best RV Park was they said the Heritage by where they park their boat!!  Maybe I can get the keys for the boat and catch dinner each night!! 

We stayed at Oceanview RV Park in 2012.  Nice view of the bay.  We were there several days and had no problem with wind.

Hope you have deep pockets.  Have you checked the prices?  $68, plus 7.5% tax, no weekly rates.  This is for a gravel spot w/o much room between you and your neighbor.

Or if you are experienced with dry camping you can stay next door for $15/day (unless they have gone up since 2016).   Dump station & water available in the CG.   

Wind???  That side of the spit is leeward side, so wind is not usually very bad.

We stayed for a little over 2 weeks on the other city park right where the spit branches off the mainland, on what seemed to be the windward side, right on the water.  We did have some wind, but nothing over about 10-15mph. Mornings were usually calm to a light breeze. This was from about June 17-July5. 

14 hours ago, alflorida said:

Hope you have deep pockets.  Have you checked the prices?  $68, plus 7.5% tax, no weekly rates.  This is for a gravel spot w/o much room between you and your neighbor.

Or if you are experienced with dry camping you can stay next door for $15/day (unless they have gone up since 2016).   Dump station & water available in the CG.   

Wind???  That side of the spit is leeward side, so wind is not usually very bad.

We stayed for a little over 2 weeks on the other city park right where the spit branches off the mainland, on what seemed to be the windward side, right on the water.  We did have some wind, but nothing over about 10-15mph. Mornings were usually calm to a light breeze. This was from about June 17-July5. 

Thanks for the info.  We have been planning and budgeting for awhile for this adventure we are about to take. Looks like the Heritage is going to be the best bang for the buck. They offer monthly rates.  

We plan to be on the road full time for at least two years. Who knows maybe we will need to keep making laps around this great country to see everything :) 

If you like salmon fish to eat, look for a small sign on the road just as you start out on the spit.  It pointed to the left and said "Fresh Salmon 3 miles".   Twice a week they had fresh salmon on ice which came off the boat the evening before.  The commercial fishing regulations limited the fishing to twice a week.  So this guy would get 5' x 5' x 3' tubs of salmon from the commercial fishermen.  He usually sold out by noon or early afternoon.  You could reserve some fish a day or two before the sale day. 

You can't beat the price, especially paying for a license and a charter boat to take you out.  Even if you had you own boat the fish would probably be cheaper.  Of course you would not have the experience of the chase after the fish and the excitement of hauling the fish in. 

Benny.

I would not go against the advise of a friend who lives and has a boat there.  Bet you could and should make a reservation ASAP as June, July and August are the most popular months!  $68 and tax, is not a bad deal up there, for full H/U.  Besides that the owners may be friends of your friend and you get a better monthly rate than we would. :)

Tom Butler, on this Forum, has probably done more "Laps around North America" than most, and he still has not seen it all. :wub:LOL.

On 12/30/2017 at 5:50 AM, manholt said:

Benny.

I would not go against the advise of a friend who lives and has a boat there.  Bet you could and should make a reservation ASAP as June, July and August are the most popular months!  $68 and tax, is not a bad deal up there, for full H/U.  Besides that the owners may be friends of your friend and you get a better monthly rate than we would. :)

Tom Butler, on this Forum, has probably done more "Laps around North America" than most, and he still has not seen it all. :wub:LOL.

I plan to stay at the park my friend recommended. They are closed now but online reservations start January 1st on line. So after ringing in the new year I plan to jump on line and make my reservation.  They offer monthly rates so it will really help with the cost.  Right now looks like the sites not next to the water are $1000 for the month (30 days).  I hope to score a site on the water which I am sure will go up some in price.  

Cross your fingers!!!!

Booked our stay in Homer Alaska yesterday.  Thanks for all the input and helping with the decision.  We ended up picking the Heritage RV park that is out on the Spit.  They had monthly rates and we were able to get a rate right at $35 a day if we stayed at least 30 days which we wanted to do.  Worked out great!!   

Homer city has a camping sites on the Spit, It is dry camping but they do have water there to fill your tanks and also a dump site. you can run your gen. from 6 in the morning until 10 at night

the rate very low. It is next to the fishing hole and if your timing is right you can catch King or Silver's just out your door

Just an update on our Homer trip. We left in March and just got back. We spent part of May all of June and part of July in Alaska. What a great trip. We ended up staying at the Heritage on the spit in Homer. Nice park and great location. We didn't like how windy it got which also made it too cold for us Arizona natives. If we were to do it again we would stay off the spit to minimize the chilly wind.  

Thanks for all the advice!!!