Sign in to follow this  
rhsjwjr

Prince George, BC To Washington State

Question

We will be taking an RV caravan this summer and will finish in Prince George, BC.  Would love some suggestions on good campgrounds (FHU, 30/50 amp, big rig friendly), and routes to get from Prince George to Washington state. 

Would like to know best border crossing to use and any interesting sites along the way.  We plan to eventually get to I-5 and work our way to Crater Lake. 

Also, any suggestions on "must-see" sites along the way or places to avoid.  We have a 40' diesel pusher and will need access to fuel also. 

Sandy - Mobile, Alabama  

7 answers to this question

Hells gate, Hatcreek  and Barkersville 

And there is lots of fuel up here.

The scenery in the Frazer canyon is nice or if you are up to it with good engine brakes and know hills up through Whistler Pemberton and lillooet  

hilly and windy  slow drive in a big rig.

Sandy, is your group coming in Canada Hwy 16?  Since your returning to the lower 48, I only know off 2 hwys...97 to Canada 1 or just before Canada 1, you can turn down 99 to Vancouver via Whistler.  Other is to stay on Canada 16 to Prince Rupert and take the Ferry!

My suggestion is that you look under Blogs on this Forum and click on Tom Butler, he has several blogs on Canada.  You can also send him a PM.

Hey, thanks for the reference Carl.  We took Canada 99 going N to Prince George.  Known as the Sea to Sky Highway, for you it would be the Sky to Sea Highway!  It is a great trip unless you have had your fill of scenery and remote travel in Alaska.  We found interesting stops along the way north from Horseshoe Bay where there is a fantastic mining museum (Louise and I both enjoy mining and industry sites).  We stopped to rest at a lake, lots of logs along the shore.  We watched and heard an otter devouring a large fish, crunch, crunch, crunch, yummy with crunchy bones.  Each town along the way has something to offer, great experience. 

Going south, take the ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island because, hey, when will you ever get a chance to get there again?  The Dingy Dock Pub in Nanaimo is a unique and excellent place to have lunch or even better, a sunset dinner.  Beautiful scenery and more on Vancouver Island, spend a day around the Provincial Museum in Victoria, see Buchart Gardens, absolutely spectacular, it's another day experience.  Spend a week on Victoria Island.  You can catch the Blackball Ferry back to the mainland, Port Angeles, on the Olympic Peninsula or take the Canadian ferry back to mainland Canada.  Either way you will make your way back to I-5. 

We also loved our time on the Olympic Peninsula, plenty to see in the National Park and along Hwy 101(small and curvy, take your time) on the Hood Canal (not a canal it is really a fjord carved out by glaciers) on the way south to Tacoma where you pick up I-5.  Diesel was never a problem as long as you don't mind the prices, now discounted with the exchange rate with Canada being what it is.  When we traveled to Canada in '06, the exchange rate was in their favor.

Now, 99 is not interstate highway.  There is a short but snaky section which would be downhill going south and it is two lane all the way.  We loved that part of the trip, would not have wanted to miss it.  We did all this with the 40' coach in the signature below, towing a Trailblazer EXT. 

Yes, that route is good for RV's.  If you don't have the Milepost, you might consider getting one.  This guide is revised every year and gives current information on road conditions, fuel, food and things to see.  You will be with a tour group but it also covers all the route to get to and from Alaska and is a guide for those parts of your trip as well.  You may also find something of interest you would really like to see on that day when the tour group doesn't have something planned.  It is a great guide to making the trip to Alaska and we will have one anytime we are on our way to Alaska.

Are you by chance on the July 8th start of the Fantasy RV FMCA Ultimate Alaska tour that ends in Prince George? I just got on the forum for the first time to ask a few questions for that trip as we are on it as well.