dbenoit

Skid Wheels

So I need to install a pair of skid wheels on the MH. Our driveway has a good pitch and the rear drags on the skid brackets when pulling in or out.

Not a lot but enough to be uncomfortable. I see that they make skid wheel that weld on the rear frame but I need a type that mount on the skid brackets.

I only need 3" max. more clearance. Thoughts? Ideas? Our really old TT had stem casters mounted on the brackets.

Thanks,

David

David You can get a roller that mounts on you receiver hitch, Not sure if it would carry the weight of you MH. My brother-in-law had a similar issue at his home and found that when he went in at slight angle he would not drag. 

Herman 

David,

A caution before you proceed to the "which one should I use".

Check with both chassis and more critically coach maker to make sure the skid bracket IS structurally strong enough to support the weight of the back of your coach.  If a frame extension was added, you could do thousands of dollars of damage of you tried to support the rear of your coach on an extension of the frame rail rather than frame rail itself.

Many of us faced with the same problem have found easy "work arounds" such as board ramps temporarily placed in the low area,  approaching drive at an angle, air bags to temporarely raise rear, etc rather than put weight of the rear of the coach WAY behind the rear axle.

David,

Is your coach a Gas or Diesel pusher. If it is a pusher have you tried barking up your drive? Be careful doing this may cause the front to drag then. Also if it is a pusher do you have air bags. If so you can raise the coach with the bags a give you more clearance. Just some thought.

Herman

The coach is gas. I like the air bag thought. I only need a couple of inches if that. I almost ripped off the mud flap when it got stuck under the drag brackets pulling in.

I might try the board ramps first (I'm cheap). That will have to wait until early spring. Coach is wrapped up for the winter.

Snow and frigid cold here now. We might need to get a shotgun shack in Texas. Thanks guys.

David

Sorry, I think we are all out of "Shotgun Shacks" in Texas. :P:) For those you might want to try your own State, around an old Factory, think I remember some around Lebanon! :D My wife and family was from NH & Mass.

David, you could still add air bags to the rear suspension along with an air compressor, mount a gauge and on/off switch to the dash area. Inflate when entering and exiting, deflate back to normal with a flip of a switch. We had wheels under the hitch of our last coach, I wished on many occasions I used the helper air bags in the rear like I described above. I even managed to get stuck once attempting to get gas, got hung up on a large wave in the parking lot picked the drive wheels off the ground :lol:. Funny now, wasn't then.

Our neighborhood has the sloped curbs where there is no separate cutout for the driveways, so we were always dragging the tail backing in.  Bought some pressure treated 2x12 and made two short ramps to bridge the lowest part.  Got tired of lugging heavy ramps and experimented with hitting the drive at an angle.  Just get one tire up on the curb and I can straighten out.  Works like a charm!  Have air bags but too much trouble and expense to add remote air up/down capability.

On 12/29/2017 at 9:32 AM, wolfe10 said:

David,

A caution before you proceed to the "which one should I use".

Check with both chassis and more critically coach maker to make sure the skid bracket IS structurally strong enough to support the weight of the back of your coach.  If a frame extension was added, you could do thousands of dollars of damage of you tried to support the rear of your coach on an extension of the frame rail rather than frame rail itself.

Many of us faced with the same problem have found easy "work arounds" such as board ramps temporarily placed in the low area,  approaching drive at an angle, air bags to temporarely raise rear, etc rather than put weight of the rear of the coach WAY behind the rear axle.

Another option is to find parking close to home.  My MH is only two and a half miles from home.

David,

Do you keep the coach at your home or have storage somewhere else? Rollers (if the chassis has a strong mounting location) might take too much weight off the drive wheels and get you stuck. IMHO boards might not help since by the time the drive wheels get to them the rear is most likely already dragging.  Air bags for me would be the best solution. With the onboard pump, gauge and switch you could adjust the height just before pulling in the drive and dump after pulling out.

Hope you find the solution that works for you. 

Let us know

Herman

I tried the wood. What a p.i.a. and it didn't work out well. I found some heavy duty casters at work and I will see how they

will fit tonight on the hitch bar. I will have to make a couple of top plates if the size is right. Return what i borrowed and order a couple from

McMaster.

David