eric@babin.com

Leveler Jack Leaking

I've got a leak on one of my leveler jacks.

Symptoms were "jacks down" alarm.  Also one jack was losing pressure / raising a little putting me unlevel once leveled.

I figured out the alarm was due to the low fluid level, and the low fluid level is due to the leak between the shaft and housing (shiny thing and what it goes up into).

I have an appointment to bring it in for service in a few weeks to REV Group in Alvarado TX.  They are saying they intend to replace the part.... no quote, but I've seen the part for sale online for about $900.  So, I'm probably looking at 1200 bucks by the time they upcharge and install.

Any advice from you folks on alternatives? 

BTW- Warranty will expire by the time I get to Alvarado... by a couple hundred miles.  My coach (2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 36U) was purchased NEW May 28, 2017 with 1,060 miles.  I ASSUME the 15,000 mile warranty started when I drove off the lot so it would be good until 16,060?????? I'll hit about 16,300 or so by the time I make it to Alvarado.... can't bring it into service where I am at because we live in it.... we have a place to stay outside of RV in TX.      Any advice on the warranty issue would also be appreciated. 

Picture of jack attached.

IMG_1220.jpg

Eric in the past I have several issues with jacks I remove them and bring them to a hydraulic  repair shop and for under $200 get them repaired or rebuilt. It is an o ring or seal bad and  a good shop should have what you need. Much cheaper than a new one, worth giving it a shot.

Eric,

I agree with Roy on this one (if you have a bit if mechanical know how).  You could either remove the unit and take it to a shop (forklift repair for instance) or attempt to replace the seals yourself.  If you do yourself you'll need to have a pretty clean work area or bench.

Have you contacted the dealer and Fleetwood regarding the warranty mileage?

Blake

Warranty may be the thing to look into. The Picture shows a Test Date of 12/05/16. It wouldn't hurt to check. It would be like giving Chicken Soup to a Dead Man, "It may not Help, But it Can't Hurt".

Herman

Eric, See the leveling system is using power gear equipment. 

That being the case, power gear installs grease fitting at the bottom of the hydraulic cylinders. The shiny part you mentioned - is called the Ram.

The grease fittings are in the cylinder portion. Kind of hidden from view by the foot of the jack when it is retracted.

ONLY use white lithium grease to grease the fittings. I have a small grease gun I use only for the job.  The grease keeps the seals clean and the hydraulic fluid in. Whip down the shiny portion with silicon when it is extended. 

NOTE ! only use 2 shots of the grease. !!!!!!!!  Cycle the jacks 2 or 3 times. and keep an eye on things for a few days.

THE jacks need to be greased  after 30 cycles, that information is buried in the power gear jack manual. One of those routine maintenance issues.

Rich.   Been there done That including the leak !

Many service centers know they need to be greased or that the manual mentions using lithium grease !!!

All great info.  My only concern about removing the jack myself is capping off the lines then upon re-install getting air in the lines.

I did notice the grease fitting.... I think I'll get a grease gun and white lithium grease to give that a shot.... also to maintain the other jacks.

I will be contacting Fleetwood about the warranty on January 2nd (once they are open).

Worse case.... if they have to replace the jack I'm going to ask to keep the old one.... then maybe get a quote to have it repaired..... if affordable repair it and I'll have an extra ready for the next time one goes bad.... because we know it will!

I'll update y'all once I get more info so if anyone searches the issue here they'll know what the outcome was.

Thank you.... and additional input is welcome.

OK.... semi-update....... I've got a grease gun and lithium grease. 

Gave the offending (leaking) jack a triple shot......

here is the fun part.... the grease fitting came off and got stuck in the grease gun..... what the heck?  Took the fitting out of the grease gun and tapped it back into the jack.... I don't know whey that doesn't thread in.... but, oh well.....

I'll give y'all and update in a few days to see if it's still leaking......

Sure sounds like the threads are stripped.

They make different sizes.  There should be room to install a larger thread size grease fitting. The issue would be - no real depth to run in a tap because of the seal and the ram being in the way. Might be able to get a discount for a defective part.  Can not remember the year of the coach?

Rich.

Sure sounds like the threads are stripped now after "tapped it back into the jack" That is tough on a threaded fitting. I would get a "Bottom" tap of the right size and try to carefully chase the threads. A new zerk fitting may have enough threads to catch if wrapped in Teflon tape. 

What I would do first is to scream that it is a warranty issue and try to get a new jack.

Bill

I have recently run across several applications where the zerk fittings were not threaded, they are easy to identify because they did not have flats for a wrench.  I has the same thing happen on riding lawn mower and no luck keeping the press in zerks staying in place after they came out.  Fortunately I was able to disassemble the steering link and was enlarge hole and tap threads to fit a zerk.

Jim

I had to replace my right rear Power Gear hyd jack also - same symptoms as you describe -  bought new one for $325 from Visone RV -  P/N 500759  -  and had my local RV tech install -  approx 2 hours labor as I recall  -  may want to go this route ---

Nick