bdersham

Slide Canopy / Water & Snow

Looks more like ice, not snow, but then I'm no expert on that subject, nor do I want to be! :rolleyes:

What's you doing there...is that the induction into Sr. VP land..:lol:

On 12/31/2017 at 2:10 PM, bdersham said:

We are living at the moment full time in our RV and are In Carlisle PA  

About every 3-4 weeks we take our unit out for fuel and if appropriate a wash job. Today, attempting to get the unit ready to take out, I discovered the canopy that comes out with the slide had ice on it, about 1 in thick in the middle where it had troughed and it was impossible to retract the sides. Had to get an extension ladder and it took about an hour to clear the 3 slide canopies.

Given we’re going to be here for a few months this is bound to occur again and I’m looking for suggestions on how to avoid having water / snow get on top of the canopy and sit there. 

I didn't answer your question. The simplest way to avoid water pooling on the toppers is to raise the front end on the jacks during/after a rain/snow event just enough to allow drainage. Lower to level after a short time, so you don't get the frig cooling system upset. Some folks have used cheap inflatable beach balls to prop up the toppers, but I find using the jacks much easier.

I have a 2014 Thor Daybreak (new to me) with a 27' slide.  Not a fan of climbing up on the roof with the attached ladder (extendable ladder on the wish list). I like the idea of the inflatable raft. Question is with the slide out is it advisable to manually raise the front to drain water? Going to first try this with the slide in, just to see the response of the jacks. My fear is the amount of movement. Love this site.

StepingOut.  Welcome to the Forum! :)

The way I have done it, is to lower the front right for drainage, then re-level and lower the left front...the same works if your rear is raised higher than front for level.  My coach is 45 foot with 4 slides and I always do it with slides out.  Practicing with slide in, will not give you the feed back that you need.

As for keeping T- handles in bay above freezing when it gets real cold...I use 2 Mae West cups, get at any hardware or building supply store, about $5.  They are designed to cover all of a outside water faucet.  I had to go to Goodwill store, 3 years ago and got a size 40 DD padded bra...worked just as good for $2.

6 spaces for pull thru's....bet they are hard to get.  I think my 45 would be hard to navigate in there!  The rate $$$ is darn good.

I bet your right, I told them back in would be fine. Rates for around here are great, which had me a bit concerned. At that price you could be in for a real experience you might not want to remember in the NE. 

I'm only there for the band playing that weekend :P, heard them in 2016 at a Campground we stayed at and was blown away, absolutely the best cover band I have ever heard! Ill be dancing on the picnic table, and not falling through anymore :lol:

For CG advice, might want to start a separate thread.  Not likely to have many read it under a slide-canopy-water-snow thread.

Thanks.

Brett

3 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

For CG advice, might want to start a separate thread.  Not likely to have many read it under a slide-canopy-water-snow thread.

Thanks.

Brett

Yeah, thought of that but wanted MYPopslou to get a notification on this thread, no way to "tag" someone on a new one and a PM wouldn't put it out for others interested in that area.

Joe & Brett.  Catch 22? :)

Think by now, we have depleted, snow/ice and rain removal on top of slides! Probably campgrounds also. :lol:

Jleamont, got your personal message, I have not tried this campground but I knew it was there. It is a lot bigger than I thought it was and for this area rates are not bad. Let me know when you are going maybe I will meet you there.

Many Folks use to put a soccer ball or other ball in the middle of the slide out awning.

Differences in coaches might dictate the size. They used different things to push them in and out. On a full wall slide, it might take two and some kind of affair you screw together, t push them in and out. I think I would on a ball that wouldn't deflate install a long cord to, to pull them out or perhaps two cords and pull it into place. Our squeegie pole would be a bit short or a full wall slide......and don't forget the balls are in there.

Some awnings might take a bit more tension on the rewind spring to hep a bit too.

It is not a heck of a lot of fun putting things away, or disconnecting when wife pus in the slide.

She thinks it is pretty funny though. On the other hand a good rinse before heading out cools you down pretty good.

TT.  Not when the water is from melted ice or snow and it's near freezing outside!  Regular water on slide don't bother me, just tilt the coach.  There is also run out slots on each side of the slide inside the coach, so any water that comes in goes right back out.

There is a inflatable bag sold on line that can be put on top of the slide and under the cover to lift it just slightly to let the water drain off.  Probably will not keep snow off because snow will not flow off like water.  Best to just close the slide in when it is snowing.

What make, model, are you ref to?  Some, like my current coach, don't have more than 4" of open space between slide & slide awning!  My last coach, when this post was written, had 10"+.

6 hours ago, Gary Roe said:

Excuse me, my box is exactly 15'5" from flange edge to flange edge. Would the 15.5 work for mine or should I be looking for a 16' model.

You are talking about your slide, right. Did you have slide toppers before? I would look at the 16' one. Keep in mind it will help but won't keep all dirt and leaves off the top of your slide but it helps.

Carl, I think he is talking the length of the slide.

Bill