With it being so cold in the eastern half of the country, I started thinking of the years that come to mind.

1949 The  upper Midwest snow and wind that lasted for weeks. Months to dig out.

1965 The Northeast and great lakes got pummeled.  Took almost 3 weeks to dig out.

1972  Cold stretch and snowed almost everyday for 6 weeks. Big piles of snow.

1991 March Ice storm that coated everything with over an inch of ice, power outage lasted for 2  to 3 weeks and again about 5 years later when areas got hit with 3 plus inches of ice. The power grid got pummeled.

2017  Has been very cold - not that much snow and with it being so cold, the big lakes are icing up. That fact kind of makes great lake residents smile.  with an ice lid on the big lakes, it turns  off the snow 

Hopping this extended cold spell has a killing effect on the Ash Bore, the Maple Bore and the evergreen Bores that have been killing so many trees, because of the lack of extended cold spells.

We mess things up - but nature can cause extreme weather swings, that have  had profound effects.

So I keep thinking that things could always be worse.

Rich. 

On the bright side, the days are getting longer, nights are shorter and each day brings us closer to spring!  Happy New Year!

Tom.  My bright side, is that I don't remember 1949...I was not quite 6 years old !!! :lol: 

Rich.  You need to sue Al Gore!

Florida had snow in the panhandle today and there are freeze warning for Central FL for the next few nights.

So most of the country must be pretty cold if it's cold in FL.

Mother Nature must be laughing at us right now.

Ya, and where we really need cold (Arctic) it is WARM. 

On the news tonight, Anchorage was WARMER today than Dallas or Houston!

Day before yesterday we had a little snow in our area, just a little flurry or two. Overpasses were salted.  We came home around 2 p.m. and Earlene was worried about all the water coming from the top of the driveway. (MH is parked in driveway).  I told here to look up. there were icicles on the roof edges and melting.

At 10 p.m. tonight it was 37˚ outside. Hope we have had our Winter.

Wayne.  Don't hold your breath!  I just hope it does not stay more than a day or two next time!  It's now 5am and it's 28 in Three Rivers, TX., and 33 in Ruidoso, NM., at 7,000' !  That's insane.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 0:26 PM, TBUTLER said:

On the bright side, the days are getting longer, nights are shorter and each day brings us closer to spring!  Happy New Year!

I noticed this yesterday driving home with some light out still, put a smile on my face :)

Wayne and Carl, please get the temps up for me when I come thru next week. 65 would be just fine and try to hold down the rain.

Well, the temperatures will be around 0 or below for the next 48 hrs. with a wind chill of -25 to -30. We will be staying inside.  No school tomorrow.

Whiteout conditions because of the wind and the addition of 12 in. of snow predicted. Will letup on Sunday afternoon.

Got some wood stacked up - so the wood stove might get fired up. 

Then it will be 25 to 35 degrees here Monday. Heat Wave !!! So the South should be in the 50 to 60 degree range.  

No real good predictions for next week yet. LOL

Rich. 

Brett; :lol:

Rich, I was up in the mountains of PA yesterday dealing with fuel filters that looked like this...anyway when I got back to my office late afternoon it was 27 degrees, I took my coat off it felt so warm walking from the parking lot to the building :wacko:

gelled filter.png

27 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Brett; :lol:

Rich, I was up in the mountains of PA yesterday dealing with fuel filters that looked like this...anyway when I got back to my office late afternoon it was 27 degrees, I took my coat off it felt so warm walking from the parking lot to the building :wacko:

gelled filter.png

Warm is all relative. 50 years ago I would be out snow skying in this kind of weather.  Those where the days my friend !

Sure looks like the fuel clouded up some ?  Might be able to make some good candles with the much wax.

You know I have to ask where the driver got the last tank of fuel.  D#1 or kerosene to dilute what is left.

The reason we are hunkered down - do not need that kind of issue. Even though I added some 911 to the last tank back October, no way I feel comfortable using it at these temps.

An temperatures like this sure makes me wounder what the winter blend is like in the South. ????

Rich.    

46 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

Rich,

Will "keep the light on for you"!

Brett, we will be keeping you in mind if you get up to 15,000 ft. in FEB.

Rich.

That was from a truck stop off of I-81 near Scranton. Big chain truck stop also :wacko:, put 9 units down in a 12 hour period. I had to run filters up when I wiped out the local freightliner dealer and not all of them were running again. I think the govt doesn't think when they push Bio fuels onto us especially at that B20 you see in that photo, then couple that with the temperatures this is what you get.

1 hour ago, DickandLois said:

Well, the temperatures will be around 0 or below for the next 48 hrs. with a wind chill of -25 to -30. We will be staying inside.  No school tomorrow.

Whiteout conditions because of the wind and the addition of 12 in. of snow predicted. Will letup on Sunday afternoon.

Got some wood stacked up - so the wood stove might get fired up. 

Then it will be 25 to 35 degrees here Monday. Heat Wave !!! So the South should be in the 50 to 60 degree range.  

No real good predictions for next week yet. LOL

Rich. 

Where are you wintering?

Bill

27 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Where are you wintering?

Bill

Bill, Way to far North !  10 miles from lake Ontario - Stayed home for Christmas to spend time  the kids and grand kids. 

The plan was to exit the end of December - no joy :huh:  Never planed on it being the coldest weather in over 30 years. 

The Bright side is - the house is built to handle the temps. and with all the mess along the East coast. Snow on the palm trees.:o

The big girl will just set on her pad for a few more days. Think the the week of the 15th. things might open up for a few days. 2 good ones to get to the warmer latitudes. 

You got to believe that 40 degrees for us will feel like  balmy weather .

Rich. 

BIL near Ft Stewart had over an inch, of snow, still on the ground mid afternoon. I called him and kidded him about moving south to escape the snow. Promised him a snow shovel  next Christmas. :)

Lakes are icing over but clear as a bell. By first of week; rain and cool temps. I just as soon have snow and cold or dry and cold.

Are we going to enter a new mini ice age? I'm confused by all the claims one way or nother.

Seems we are in a warm period between historical colder ad snowier weather though.

Remember in the seventies they said we were entering a new Ice Age?

We just about believed it. Lakes and River and all streams froze over. And snow was on the ground all winter, and high temps were at freezing to mostly below.

Uncle operated peach an apple orchards in Indiana. Ten miles to paved road or more and 25 miles more to a store or something like that. Wells froze deep, no power. Had to cut fruit wood and keep the fireplaces going. Shot some deer and rabbits to make it though for more than one year.

In the sixties it snowed Halloween night, and again and snowed Thanksgiving, and right before Christmas warmed a bit then snowed deep. Out of school, I'm glad as five miles walking in deep snow is no fun atall. High temp or weeks was 13 degrees. Low was 13 below and avg was below zero, I think. And they didn't have snow removal equipment back then in this part of Tn. none at all.

Maybe if I can find that crystal ball, I might go into the snow plow and shovel business.

Rich, probably a good thing to stay till the conditions get better. I have a sister in Erie PA and she sent some pictures and video. They have over 7ft on the level in their front lawn.

Bill

Rich, I believe it was in the 50's in Katy today. 

Timetraveler, that walking 5 miles in the snow  to school was bad but my complaint was it was up hill going and coming. I carried my lunch in a syrup bucket, how about you. 

Low 60's on Canyon Lake, Tx today. 

Couldn't carry a syrup bucket and all them books.

Five miles up a hill both way is correct. Going down the hills wasn't so memorable.

I think during the middle of the day the down side rose up or something.

Didn't have to take as many baths, in wet weather, got many a good drenching and even collected some mud or the garden when cars splashed me.

Ever run track practice then another five mile walk home? I don't really think it was as much of a character builder, as they say especially it pitch black and freezing.

Stayed in condition for sure.

Conditioned to snow, rain, hail, freezing rain, blazing sun, 10 below and 100 above.

Good for the feet too. Shoes wore out and nice calluses middle of the foot filled the holes well.

Don't ever let your mother tell your history teacher you missed school to get some shoes.

Not too many years ago I ran into a school friend. He  asked how I like the new shoes.

He knew he was safe, as at 60 something, I can't run as fast.