For those of you with Class B's....

How many of you selected a front engine diesel for it's durability, efficiency and substance over a gasoline powered engine?      

According to the National Automobiles Dealer Association.... mileage is NOT a consideration when evaluating "diesel engines" ... mileage is only a factor to be considered on GASOLINE engines....

Diesel engines are known for going 300,000 to 500,000 miles.... and I've been told that the entire coach will likely fall apart well before the diesel engine fails....

Please don't respond about Mercedes Benz Sprinters not being sold in North America..that is simply NOT TRUE...the 2018 Mercedes Benz Sprinter with the 3 litre diesel V6 is already out for 2018.... 

If you have anything constructive to say.... please share....

Yes, FREDS can be Class A, B or C.  So, range from 20' to over 40'.

And, from my reading, it is the MB automobile diesels that will not be imported in 2018.

1 hour ago, wolfe10 said:

Yes, FREDS can be Class A, B or C.  So, range from 20' to over 40'.

And, from my reading, it is the MB automobile diesels that will not be imported in 2018.

Brett, 

Please cite this link for me...I'm very interested in reading this...

--MARK

Here's a link to them being sold.....in Orlando FL...

http://www.mercedesbenzsouthorlando.com/vehicles.cfm/make/mercedes-benz/model/sprinter-3500/year/2018/level/USC80MBV051A0/

http://www.mercedesbenzsouthorlando.com/vehicles.cfm/make/mercedes-benz/model/sprinter-3500/year/2018/level/USC80MBV052A0/

However, it looks like that will all change in 2019.... introduction of gasoline engines....with a battery/electric version...... see below...

Interesting....

https://www.trucks.com/2017/12/04/mercedes-benz-strategy-2019-sprinter-van/

Mark.

Your own questions, are the answer!  Your correct.

As for BM, you have (can't expect you not to) done far more reading on the subject than I have.  You have the engine, so that's expected.  I hope they, BM, get the issue resolved.  There are far more MB/Sprinters sold for the service & commercial industry than RV!   

According to the article cited, there is nothing about ceasing production of Diesel engines. It says only that the vehicle will be offered with gasoline engines in the US for the first time. Is there talk elsewhere of actually ceasing the Diesel offering? Or, are thy talking about adding an engine to the lineup and offering a choice?

MW and Richard. Think they are offering the Gas Engine until they find a setup for the Diesel that will pass the EPA standards. 

The van market is a good sized section of there market in the States.

A high bread electric using a small diesel or gas engine might be there solution.  Electric drive system for a heaver class vehicle is well within a possible solution. Weight to torque and size of the motors that perform well using fuel cell or batteries might take some time before it is marketable.

Rich.

Yes, Mark, as both I and you posted, it is the MB automobiles that will cease to be offered with diesel engines in the U.S. This from a Car and Driver article in December 2017.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-mercedes-benz-e-class-diesels-first-drive-review

Despite being one of the pioneers of diesel passenger cars in the States—with an impressive percentage of its seemingly unkillable 300Ds still chugging along four decades later—Mercedes has cold feet. The brand put a moratorium on U.S. sales of new diesels in May, and we don’t sense any sign of it reversing that position.

Coincidental topic.

Neighbor has a 2007 Benz SUV with the diesel engine.  It's been in the shop having entire fuel system gone through.  It has run well since new but is having intermittent fuel delivery problem now.  The engine dies on occasion when driving.

No codes detected and nothing out of the ordinary (visual) with fuel filter.  I think next step are the injectors.

Blake

I got a mail from MB (yes I do own them) in Austin, TX.  2018 diesel cars for half the price of a gas model....they are selling them as used.  I told the Mgr. No Thanks.  I got a 2005 SLC 550 24 valve aspirated AMG for Christmas...Speedometer goes to 360km/h !  Never said I wanted to go out handsome! :lol: