rhodesia

Upgrading Suspensions F53 Chassis

Mike.  Yours is a Newmar, from what I have heard and read in the last month, they come out of the factory pretty much aligned.  As for a gas coach, I have not heard anything, but would be surprised at a big difference!

4 hours ago, manholt said:

OK Brett, what is the CHF?  My feeble mind is a blank also, why not liquid springs?

On the Ford sway bar there are 2 sets of holes in the arms. The CHF all you do is move the bolts to the in board/aft holes, this stiffens the sway bar.B)

Bill

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:19 PM, mhanley99 said:

Appreciate the responses. Does CAT do wheel-by-wheel weights? Recommend alignment for new coach? Will only have 300 or so miles on it when we pick up in April. Not sure how well alignment is done during manufacture. I will be near top of GCWR with tow vehicle added. So will look at Sumos and Koni KSDs.

Mike, Barb & Buddy (the dog)

IMHO, you can get by with just running it over any truck stop CAT scale to get your individual axle weights.   Maybe later down the road you may want to get more specific and get your 4 corner weights but I wouldn't worry about it for now.  Most truck stops (Flying J, Pilot, Love's....) will only charge $10 or $11 for the weigh, quick and easy.

If you take the coach to a honest alignment shop they will check it and only charge for what they have to do.  In other words, my shop quoted me $145 for an alignment on my new coach recently.  When they got it set up they discovered the alignment was good from factory, but they did need to re-center my steering wheel, final charge only $45.00.  But now I know 100% my loaded coach of aligned perfectly.

Any 36' to 38' coach on a Ford F-53 chassis (loaded for travel) is going to lean from side to side to a certain extent.  Depending on your wheel base length it may lean more or less but it is still running down the road on a spring chassis.  I would take a test run in moderate windy conditions before putting the Sumos on.  If a 20mph cross wind blows you around, or when a semi passes you it is a real adventure, then you will probably be like I was and rush out and get the Sumos.  

I did all my modifications in stages, hoping that I would never have to end up with Sumos.  But IMHO a 2014 Thor Challenger 37GT was impossible to travel cross county in without them.

35 minutes ago, mhanley99 said:

Thanks for the info, ISPJS. Can I get the coach weight done with the Grand Cherokee toad attached or does it need to be done separate?

Likely, but ask the operator of the scale.

Rodesia,

I have a 2018 Fleetwood Bounder 35K...…………..Here's what I did to solve the poor handling (being blow all over the road by passing semis & winds, cornering leaning, etc.)    I installed (1) Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer (2)  Cheap Handling Fic (CHF)   that is adjusting the front & rear stabilizer factory bars from the front end bar link outside hole to the inside hole. (had to replace the front factory end links with adjustable Hellwig end links.     (3) installed a rear UltraTrac Tack Bar  (4) installed an additional Roadmaster rear anti sway bar....

My shocks were fine since the coach is new...………     The above vastly improved the handling!!!!!!

6 hours ago, jpstakun said:

Whatever you choose to do, have the front end aligned first.  It may cure some problems without spending more money than you need.

Welcome to the forum. I think it is better to do a all wheel alignment. You should be loaded like you are headed out on a trip. The reason is even if the front is correct if the thrust angle on the rear is off it will cause wandering and be harder to drive. 

Bill