manholt

Fresh Tank Fills When On City Water

IMHO if a check valve is installed before or after the pump and in the correct direction, it will not cycle off and on. With a working check valve it will prevent water pressure from going backwards which will allow the pump to build up sufficient pressure to shut off the pump until there is a demand for water. It will then, after the water demand is shut off, it will build up the correct pressure and shut off the pump.  

Herman 

10 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

IMHO if a check valve is installed before or after the pump and in the correct direction, it will not cycle off and on. With a working check valve it will prevent water pressure from going backwards which will allow the pump to build up sufficient pressure to shut off the pump until there is a demand for water. It will then, after the water demand is shut off, it will build up the correct pressure and shut off the pump. 

I agree with you Herman, if the pump works now, don't fix it. If the pump still cycles off and on needlessly, there is a leak after the pump, that's what needs to be fixed.

3 hours ago, manholt said:

I'm not adding check valve.  I'm replacing it, with a inline valve!

Carl,

Installing a shut-off valve downstream of the pump may solve the issue with backflow into your freshwater holding tank unless the fill problem exists with the city/fill valve leaking by.

Bad thing, you still need a check valve down stream of the pump.  Especially if you're boon docking and on tank water only.  Otherwise, pressure downstream of the pump will still bleed off and you'll be stuck at square one with the pump cycling on and off when not in use.

Blake

Blake.  The only time my pump goes off, without the water faucet in coach on, is when it's on tank.  I have a ball valve (brass) before the water system T, when horizontal it's on tank, vertical it's on city!   There is a built in water pressure gauge in my bay.  It's set at 60psi  We are now back at the ranch and I'm on well water, with no problems and no water going into tank.  I suspect I had a pressure surge at the RV Park in Harlingen, Texas, only explanation that makes sense.

We are suppose to be in the 50's today, so I'm going to trace everything I can find in the water bay & mark with a black pen, the direction of flow, also change out whole house filter and clean any screens.  Waiting on check valve to be delivered...Linda has about 50 pounds of stuff from Amazon coming also!    

What's happened here, I'm answering one post and then Herman snuck in before me...then I explain that, lost internet connection for 5 minutes and Blake comes in...Arrrgh! :lol:

Carl,

On our coach I have a selector valve for the water. It has two positions. City, that will provide water to the whole coach without need of the pump (I turn the pump off when on city water). The second position is Fill. When placed in the Fill position it will fill the water holding tank. When in the Fill position the pump will come on because it can not build up pressure in the position. When there is sufficient water in the Tank I return the selector to City an use city water. If dry camping or going down the road I will have the pump in the on position.

Herman  

It's the fill tank that I and so far nobody else can find.  There is a large schematic painted on bay door, but I'm missing a part.  When I see you in Tyler next month, you can look at it and scratch your head.  When I back flush the black tank, the valve is on gray and black is grey...that was fun, the first time! :angry: May the person who did my plumbing, be infested with a thousand fleas and arms to short to scratch!