rfsod48

Shake Rattle and Roll

I realize all rv’s will make some interior noise going down the highway, it seems to me my 13yo is getting worse. I have tightened what I can and on smooth roads it is not bad but any road roughness sets it off. Is this a problem of age or do the 2-3 yo coaches have the same problem? Do more expensive older coaches have the same problem and what about newer coaches such as Newmar? I am loosing my hearing but still can’t block out the rattle.

Yes, higher end coaches have less rattles.  Simpler construction (no or fewer slides) leads to fewer rattles.

But on all of them, it is a matter of identifying and solving them as they appear.  I will have Dianne drive on a stretch of road where we hear the noise and I will "hunt it down".  Many times, it is nothing more than a pot or pan, something in the oven, etc.

BTW, felt dots (come in a 100 pack from Walmart) solve a lot of cabinet and drawer rattles!

My 15 year old Bounder 38N is fairly quiet. Some wind noise I haven't figured out yet but not to bad. It took some time finding and fixing all the little things. Rubber shelf lining helps and like Brett said have some one listen and try to isolate what is making noise when going down the road. It could be in the front compartments to. My front access panel for the generator was out of adjustment and needed new rubber ends in the door stops. 

I would go drive some other rigs and see how they compare. 

Bill

The quality of the road makes a great difference, today we traveled I 20 thru Ms and La into Texas, some of the road especially in Texas was smooth and we had little noise and other parts had strip joints and general roughness which made the coach soun d as if it was falling apart.

The hi way crew that can install a transition joint on or off bridges and smooth expansion joints should get a raise. 

Roland, remember you are driving something on a truck chasse not a passenger car. I would go drive several different coaches over rough roads and see if you see a difference. You passed near a good place to do that at Texas Motor Coach in Nacogdoches Texas just north of I-20 above Houston. If you were staying in town there are several around the DFW area.

Bill

Roland, I had a 2008 Bounder Diesel and most of our rattles were from cargo. Dishes, pots and pans and the metal shelf in the oven/microwave that would rattle like crazy if we forgot to remove it. 

Our new Newmar is much quieter but of course it only has about 3000 miles vs almost 70,000 on the Bounder. 

58 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

Roland, I had a 2008 Bounder Diesel and most of our rattles were from cargo. Dishes, pots and pans and the metal shelf in the oven/microwave that would rattle like crazy if we forgot to remove it. 

Our new Newmar is much quieter but of course it only has about 3000 miles vs almost 70,000 on the Bounder. 

I forgot about that noisy shelf. :o It became standard practice to remove it before travel. 

I also had a front wheel cover that was a little loose. It would make noise on some bumps till I tightened it up.

Roland, you don't need too convince me go buy a new coach.:D

Bill

Bill, I thought you might help convince me :) My only hold back is how much longer I will be doing this (health and age) both are ok now  but no guarantee. Not sure I want to invest big dollars, and if I am going with older coach I think I should keep what I have.

Carl, still closer than when he left Michigan a couple of days ago.

1 hour ago, rfsod48 said:

Bill, I thought you might help convince me :) My only hold back is how much longer I will be doing this (health and age) both are ok now  but no guarantee. Not sure I want to invest big dollars, and if I am going with older coach I think I should keep what I have.

You might spend some time finding the rattles and doing a couple upgrades and spent more money on travel.

Bill

Our rattles are usually stuff we carry along, especially in the kitchen. The one thing that drive me nuts is the dinette table, mine doesn't have a leg (only wall mounted) so on an extreme bump it bangs. I bought a leg for it, just have to install it.

I always thought I would age with the coach, so as the noises became worse so would my hearing :wacko::lol:

We get the rattles, squeaks and sometimes wind noise.  Our coach is very similar to Joe's (HR/Monaco).  Most frustrating is wind noise from the windshield.  Most of the time there is no wind noise but if we're negotiating a long sweeping curve, at any speed, the windshield and front cap loose a bit of mating.  After a few minutes the windshield and front cap mate and the noise goes away.

This is an inherent problem with our year coach.  As we tried to have it solved early on.

Blake

2 minutes ago, blakeloke said:

Most frustrating is wind noise from the windshield.  Most of the time there is no wind noise but if we're negotiating a long sweeping curve, at any speed, the windshield and front cap loose a bit of mating. 

:o, that's a new one, do you get any water if its raining?

Blake,

I have heard of this issue before. I understand, sorry I can't remember where I heard it, that there is a brace that can be installed in the front cap just above the windshield. It stiffens up the farming of the front and eliminates the windshield/front cap issue. I will try and found out where I heard about the brace.

Herman

Morning Joe - Yes, on occasion we have noticed drips of water running down the inside of the windshield when the wind/mating conditions exists.  Not enough water to concern me and not enough water to reach the dashboard.

Herman - Thanks.....I'll also search.  I actually gave up on a solution a few years after we bought the coach.  Was very concerned about the windshield early on and had heard of, and have witnessed, entire windshields falling out with this front cap.  I think the Dynasty/Windsor (maybe more) in this year shared the same cap and one-piece windshield.

Monaco did replace the windshield seal for what they called a better, stronger seal.  Wind noise still comes and goes and my concern that the windshield will fall out has fallen way down the list since we've had this coach so long and hasn't had anything worse than the noise.

Blake

11 minutes ago, blakeloke said:

I think the Dynasty/Windsor (maybe more) in this year shared the same cap and one-piece windshield

Same...one piece windshield, but a different chassis....who knows if that's the difference or the windshield shape/?

55 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Joe the front cap on the Windsor and the Dynasty are the same, however there may be a difference in the skeleton from one model to the next.

Herman 

Any other Monaco/HR/Beaver product experience that problem that you are aware of?

Joe, Had a friend that had a 1999 Beaver Patriot Thunder that had the windshield popping out problem.

Carl, Was it you that told me about the fix on the Monaco products that had the windshield issue?

Herman 

Nope!  I had read about it and somewhere heard that CC came up with a simple solution....expensive in labor. 

Ray (Puff) mentioned something similar in his misadventures awhile back.  I don't know if he resolved it yet.

Early on, shortly after we bought the coach, we were on I--40 heading west.  Traffic was stalled in both directions.  Root of the traffic mess was an accident in eastbound lanes.  There was a Dynasty (new and pretty) that was stopped and the front windshield was laying on the highway in front of the coach.  It was shattered.  I remember this because it was a very hot day and it looked like the owners were trying to stave the heat off by closing their drapes on the inside of the front end.  The drapes were flapping in the breeze.

We guessed the Dynasty made an abrupt stop and the windshield popped out.  It wasn't part of the accident and there was no damage to the front of the coach that I could tell.

I think it was after that that Monaco replaced the windshield gasket when we were up in Oregon for other warranty items.

Blake

I wonder what the expression of the driver & co pilot face was when that happened? :o:huh::blink:

Did that give you some food for thought, Blake?

In reference to the original question.

Any vehicle will react differently or the same, depending on road surface.  Mine does the same as Roland, just that inside the coach, the jars, bumps and pot holes are not transmitted as much.  IMHO it's due to suspension, weight and tag axle.  I hear it more than I feel it.  Trust me, I have enough rattles and squeaks to share...no wind noise!