rsbilledwards

Lack Of Air Pressure

Yup, unless you have a massive air leak (which you should hear) the governor is highly suspect.

Try a couple of light, sharp raps on it.  If no change, replace it-- under $25.

No leaks per Brett smacked the governor to no avail. Changed it out, new one from the spare box...conclusion pump has quit. Out put pressure is not real strong. 

Bill, glad you had a spare and like Brett said; they are prone to failing.  Problem solver label fit the bill on this one.

With the temperature being so low, any moisture in the governor would surely freeze things up.

The weather is warming and we hope to make a run for it. Within the next 36 hrs. or so. Time to leave - although it sure has looked very much like a scene from a Currier and Ives card. A horse and slay would work well, but not meant for large vehicles. 

Rich.

If replacing the governor doesn't solve it, next is to look at either compressor or dryer:

If compressor was working fine before shutting down, search on-line for a manual for you make and model and at least verify that the unloader is not seized/is working properly.  More likely that the valves are staying open than that the "compression" just went from good to bad all at once.

Sure, a dryer can fail, but most common failure is of the purge valve-- you would certainly here it if it was not seating.

No nothing from the drier side. Drier is only a year old not many miles. I would lean toward the compressor. dad gumit   Well at least I am at home on the pad. Wonder Wonder what it looks like inside...gona find out in the spring. I have a spare compressor from a previous project I did not do on the Zanzibar...now I look pretty smart just for keeping it. 

Problem solver, me  Thanks for the input  B 

8 minutes ago, rsbilledwards said:

No nothing from the drier side. Drier is only a year old not many miles. I would lean toward the compressor. dad gumit   Well at least I am at home on the pad. Wonder Wonder what it looks like inside...gona find out in the spring. I have a spare compressor from a previous project I did not do on the Zanzibar...now I look pretty smart just for keeping it. 

Problem solver, me  Thanks for the input  B 

Total missed the fact that the Governor replacement did not solve the problem. My bad. 

Like Brett - mentioned the purge valve, but you should hear air leaking from the bottom of the dryer assembly / purge valve.

The air line between the compressor and the dryer failed on my couch and because of the engine noise and the routing of the line the leak was not audible. It all started with a slower then normal pressure recovery. The New air line has a stainless steel braiding wrapped around the outside. It would be a bummer to pull the compressor only to find out it was the air discharge line.

One might be able to place some thing over the air intake and see if the compressor is attempting to draw in air. Do not want something that could be sucked into the intake. Strip on neoprene ?  

Compressor is gear driven, single cylinder in most cases, around 10 CFM, Not really much different then a single cylinder 4 cycle gas engine.

Rich.

When the purge valve went bad on my coach, no one could hear an air leak until we put a large portable compressor in line just after the governor. The compressor on the coach did not even start to build pressure, crawled under the coach and felt the purge valve, covered the outlet with a finger, pressure started to build, then removed finger to hear the leak. The valve was stuck open of course. I replaced the valve, everything has worked fine since.

Rich, 

That must be quite a "couch" to have an air compressor. Is it comfortable?  Yes I have braided lines as well and no chaffing and all are tight. I will check the purge valve on the drier at ten pounds it would not make much noise. It is close to the rear of the coach and very accessible since I installed it.

I moved the coach a couple months ago to the new pad and no issues then.

B

It is amazing what day light can do for one searching for a problem.  Fired the coach up this morning and went looking for that elusive silent air leak i thought I could hear over the engine noise and almost immediately found a dislodged 3/8 in line disconnected during the installation of a new style Racor priming pump. Thank you Kay it was your tip that saved the day. I was going to do the same with another compressor to look for a silent issue. On the road in an hour. Thanks all  B

Don't know how but just stumbled upon this post. Glad you got it fixed up! I was just about to chime in and tell you to bypass the dryer and see if it builds air then. Since the temps dropped here they have been dropping like fly's.

7 hours ago, rsbilledwards said:

Yes it is Tom and I’m on the road sitting in Lake Havasu city Arizona 71° today coach purring like a kitten likes that propane too

So...you did follow through with the propane injection? Come on spill the bean's....how does it run?

If Bill has and wants to share info on propane injection, let me suggest starting a new thread.  Pretty unrelated to "Lack of air pressure".

Thanks.