Rewillia

Slide Seal Maintenance Question

Curious what others here do in terms of maintaining their slide seals (rubber extrusions that are attached to and seat between slide and coach body).

Do you periodically apply something to your slide seals? if yes, what product do you use and how frequently do you use it?

Slide seal lubricant. I think it’s a Camco product; comes in a spray can. I apply some a couple times a season (when I think of it!). I’ve also used it on the door seals of our cars to help prevent the doors from freezing shut in the winter.

—Tim C.

I use 303 on the Slide Seal Wipers and also on the Slide Seals. By wiper I am talking about that visible and flexible extrusions.  The actual seal is anther piece on the front of the slide and on the back of the slide when it is retracted. I once had the inside seal break away about 4 inches on a corner and I found some sticky mess was on it. Cleaned it, re-glued it and started using 303.

Before I had a ladder for the outside I would use the awning rod. Put a cloth through the loop, spray with lubricant and work it up inside and outside the wiper.

The difficult seal is the outside leading edge on the top. Again with a ladder it can be swabbed.

Unfortunately I don't have a schedule and do it once in a while when I'm thinking about it. Hmmm! You made me think.

I use silicone, or Protect All or 303 about every three months.  I also have a long pole that I attach a rag to that will reach the high side slides and across the top of the slides.

Rick.  I use 303 protectant on average, 6 times a year, on anything that is rubber, including windshield wipers.  Same on the Jeep, MC, Bentley and now on the new edition to my car family, a MB CLS 55, 2005.  Oh, all my tire sidewalls!  Figure if it's good enough on Jets, it's good enough for me!

Thanks for the replies/recommendations,

I have since purchased some 303™ Rubber Seal Protectant, in the small bottles with applicator and will use that on my slide seals. 

Rick, for under the slide toppers a broom handle with a rag on the end, just tape it below the end, wet the end with 303 set it in the groove and push it down. Kind of like a big Q Tip. 

For the wiper I use 303. For the actual seal (inside) I use talcum powder on a rag. I retract the slide part way and then useing a small  step ladder I can reach the seals from the inside. I got the idea from the owners manual of a previous RV. The talcum powder stops the sticking sound when the slid starts to move. If you can't find talcum  powder, baby powder is 100% talc but is usually scented.