robandbarb

Hwy 78 Columbus MT To Red Lodge MT

Question

We have a 35 ft motor home and we are towing a car.  We want to go to Red Lodge by way of Hwy 78 out of Columbus.  You go through Absarokee, Rocoe, and into Red Lodge.  I have been this way in a car but can't remember if it's a good road for a motorhome.  Any help?  Barb

6 answers to this question

No actually the roads I commented on are almost the same length  to the same place. I looked at the roads on Google Earth and they look to be almost the same (Montana 2 lane road) and in about the same condition where I looked. I was asking to see if the OP or some one had a reason to choose one over the other, road construction, bad bridge. low bridge or better Dinner, some other thing that would contribute to making the choice. 

Bill

MT 421 is not marked for commercial vehicles. I use the Rand McNally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas when routing myself in unfamiliar territory. 421 may be ok but you would have to ask a local or some one that has run it.  MT78 is marked for commercial vehicles from Columbus to Red Lodge. My two.

17 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Any particular reason for taking this road?

421 to 212 in Joliet is another way. Both look about the same. 

Bill

We are coming from the west on I90 and going all the way to Laurel to catch 212 is out of the way.  78 is the more direct route.  I know that 212 is a good road as I've taken that numerous times when coming from Billings to Red Lodge, but never 78, and never in a motorhome.  Yes it is the exact reason I asked about Hwy 2 in Washington.  Thank you.

You won't have any problem, but time wise it would be a wash as there are many sharp turns, as well as more game/ livestock, etc causing slower speeds, as well as the towns you mentioned that are posted 25 mph. If you were to go on east to Laurel you would be on 4 lane Interstate , then from Laurel going back up to Red Lodge is wider and straighter.  

on edit: I remember there was talk about posting a maximum vehicle length limit  from Absorokee over to Red Lodge but do not know if it was ever decided for sure

Edited by rpelatt