mweiner

How often and how far do you take out your Class B ? OR, because it's smaller and portable you take it everywhere?

Notice to all Class "B" coaches.

I have checked with the powers to be on Perry. There is a location that is being set aside for RoadTrecs and Class"B" coaches close to showers. I was also informed that there will also be power available.

Of course, if the owner of a Class B wishes to be parked in another area (for example to park next to friends) that that would also be OK.

So please come and enjoy.

Herman 

On 1/24/2018 at 6:10 AM, kstockwe said:

We recently joined FMCA and I just saw this forum.  So, now there are at least two class B owners on this string!  We bought ours at the 2017 RV show in Tampa and over the last year have taken one 3,000 mile trip out west as well as numerous weekend trips around the southeast (live in Atlanta area).  Heading to south Florida tomorrow for a long weekend.  My wife and I love it so far...great to drive, easy to park, etc.  I even just take it out occasionally like a big van to Home Depot, etc.  The best part is we can park it in our garage ( I had to raise the door a bit.)  Soon my wife will retire and we can just pick up and go.  My twin has a class A so we have gotten some of those “when are you going bigger” questions but no plans for that.  Hey, we get 18 mpg and you mostly sit outside at the RV parks anyway.  Looking forward to see how many B’s show up in Perry. 

Welcome to the forum and glad you answered my question as we're both Class B owners..

I see that you are also getting 18 MPG, so I presume you have the Mercedes Benz diesel engine , 3 litre V6?  

Since you purchased this at the RV show, I imagine that you got a pretty good deal? And, you have the benefit of the warranty from the manufacturer...

We actually purchased ours in May 2017 and it was a 2012 RS Adventurous Roadtrek... We decided that purchasing it used was a better fit for our situation.

Our rig was lightly used with only 26,000 miles at delivery.

What make and model do you have?   

We also decided to skip the extended warranty on the coach and just pay for repairs as they come up..... not terrible experiences , but, 

We immediately had to replace the tires, batteries, and a few more things..I upgraded the radio, front and rear cameras, tire pressure monitor, solar panel,  and backup proximity sensors for safety...all to make it more comfortable for me..

As you pointed out, we spend more time outside than inside, have taken it to many National Parks, monuments and traveled 12,000 miles on a trip around the USA... Much easier on the fuel consumption than a Class A or Class C... because it's diesel, it really pays for the efficiency of the engine.. 

We take it on many local destinations within 100 miles from our home staying overnight at the beach or a trip for the day...

We have everything a large RV has... generator, solar system, TV, HVAC, kitchen, bathroom and audio visual system... The only thing we don't have is abundant space!  We just take less... And, there's only two of us..

Fortunately, our conversion came with the optional armoire cabinets that are directly behind the driver's and passenger seat... they can be removed and we have the extra seats whenever we want to put them in to carry extra passengers...so far we've found a better use for the extra cabinets...

Someone mentioned showering in the van....we haven't done that yet, we usually go places that have a shower, BUT, it's always an option if we wanted to...plus, there's even an outside shower .. 

We don't have a place to park it indoors, it fits just fine in our driveway... let me tell you if we had anything bigger, we would need to rent space at a lot..so, I'm glad we don't have to do that...

Someone mentioned that I might have had "second thoughts" about my purchase..the answer is a resounding "NO" ..I'm very happy.. with what we got. 

In case of an earthquake or any other emergency,  the van would be a temporary safe haven for us to retreat to and live in temporarily...

We keep it stocked and ready to go at a moment's notice with extra clothes and supplies, canned food for emergency... you just never know. 

It takes just a few minutes to unhook the electric power..we NEVER hook up the sewer  and no leveling mechanism.. just batten the inside hatches, and we're off. I love the fact that the sewer hose is permanently attached to the rig with a macerator.... YES, it's got smaller tanks, but, it's a snap to dump them..

Like you, we park in normal parking lots, for the most part... I've found that parking out in the boonies is the best way, usually allowing for a little extra space on either side... 

Have had a couple of issues with the Mercedes Benz diesel... some of which was thankfully covered by the extended emissions warranty.. it's good for 8 years and 80,000 miles...in case you didn't know... 

We love the way the Roadtrek RS Adventurous rides so smoothly.. seems to have plenty of power... remember, we're one half the size of a 40 footer that has 400 horsepower..my vehicle has 190 horsepower and 325 foot pounds of torque... not a speed demon, but it definitely can get out of it's own way....we normally run with the water tank 1/2 full and dump the sewer tanks for lighter weight..it makes a difference.. 

Good luck with your rig.... safe travels. I understand that these rigs generally get much more use and mileage put on them vs. a lot of larger Class A and Class C units, especially gasoline equipped versions.. 

--Mark

Yes, we have a Pleasure Way PlateauFL and it has a shower.  Two shower heads, lots of room, two or three can fit at once.  Sure, just kidding.  It can be used by sitting on the throne like mentioned above, but only my wife has tried it.  So far we stay in RV parks with nice showers.  Just caught a rock on our trip yesterday.  Anyone with experience in replacing a Sprinter windshield?  Do the usual companies do it or only Mercedes?

I've had experience with rocks damaging the windshield of my cars occasionally... call your insurance company.. they will pay for the replacement.. Some mobile replacement services will even come to your location. 

Must have been from a large truck to get up so high to strike the Sprinter... 

Two shower heads inside the coach bathroom or are you referring to the outside shower, if you have one?

Nice van... I looked one up online, 5 year warranty.. hopefully you got a good deal...

I noticed that the FL model doesn't have 4 seats up front, is that correct? Seems like a very nice unit with solar panels, has more than one.. Was that standard equipment?? 

Windshield damage is usually considered comprehensive damage, not collision... should be extremely inexpensive to get taken care of good luck. 22 feet is an easy length to manuever and park.. what's the wheelbase on this unit? 

Have you noticed any problems in high winds?

Safe travels..

Don't think you need to contact Mercedes Benz dealership on the windshield?? A good windshield dealer will know what to do.. let me know if I'm wrong.  

Yes, I see that your Pleasure Way FL is pretty much the same as my Roadtrek RS... same wheelbase, engine specs etc....

ks.  The usual companies will do it.  Did it nick the window or put cracks (more than an inch long) in it?  If it's a nick or star with less than one inch lines or be covered by a quarter, then call a mobile window service to come out and put the pads on, it will look like new for less than $100 and don't call insurance company. 

I just had mine replaced yesterday, 14 inch crack on drivers side, $3,176 I paid my $500 deductible!  In Texas, if it's on the Driver side, it must be replaced before inspection for tags...mine was due this month. 

Thanks all.  It was a tiny chip near the passenger side post, but has grown to a crack at least 8 inches and will grow more I am sure.  That price is a shocker but I figured we would expend our full deductible anyway.

I own a class B + ( thor- gemini) I love my mini rv.  I'e been on the road nearly 5 months, traveĺing around USA.  Never have problem finding rv spot for the night,easy to drive, easy to park, and set up.  Excellent mileage.....17-18 mpg.....diesel..Occasionally, I'll rent a car if visiting friends in larger cities. Everywhere I go, folks want a tour and their first comment, perfect for you and so cute. My new motto " catch me if you can" ...works for me.

It seem that the post has veered away for the OP. How often and how far you go in your Class B. If you do not have or have never had a Class B, it would be hard to give a legitimate  commit. 

Herman 

Yes, so please start a new topic for any discussion not related to the original.

Once new topics are interwoven with the original separating them is extremely difficult.

Thanks.

Our first RV.  Researched for several years by surfing the web.

Our priority is to explore both the urban (museums, etc.) and the backroads (sites of interest, parks, etc).  Probably no more than a couple of nights in one place.  Not "campers" in the general sense (more like truck drivers-LOL).  Got tired of hauling all our gear in/out of the minivan and the motel on nearly a daily basis.  Boondocking was appealing.

We started with some walk-thrus of dealership units, on the scale of those with a Freightliner-type cab.  It became apparent real quick that my wife was very uncomfortable with the idea of driving anything in the class C or above size, where my past CDL experience didn't make me blink an eye.  But we enjoyed sharing the driving on previous roadtrips in our Honda Odyssey so a class B was a better fit for us.

So we bought a Roadtrek CS/XL this spring and my wife doesn't mind driving it at all.  She kind of prefers the CO/KS portions of I-70, when we chase grandkids' sporting events.  It is kind of nice to have the flexibility to tour before or afterwards.  And we can pull over just about anywhere to rest/sleep when we want to.  Living in the close quarters has been/is/will continue to be a learning experience.  But it is just the two of us and we believe we can make it work for us.

So, to answer the thread original topic:  Our first two trips took us from homebase to Goodland/Russell/Salina/Hesston, KS.  Then another directly to Beloit, KS.  Real glad to have this unit available at track meets!  Thanks to an injury the first of June we had a "staycation" for the rest of the summer.  We did get in a two night trip to Cripple Creek Mining District, where I drove the Class B around the small towns with a great view from that big front window.  And another 600 mile run back to our hometown so the 12 year old grandson could go to the nearby state park and camp overnight with me before school started.

As we have a place to stay back in our KS hometown, the Roadtrek will be parked unless the game(s) are out-of-town (and in western KS,  you expect to go long distances to play your competitors).  At the end of this school year when the grandkids start their summer jobs and camps, we expect to just go wandering far afield!

I have a class B, Pleasureway and attend  the FMCA, 6 State Rallies located in the central states.   It would be nice to have a class B chapter in FMCA International Conventions  and also one within the 6 States Rallies .   I  enjoy the seminars and all the evening entertainment.  A pint of ice cream for everyone at each rally is enjoyed by all.   We have volunteered off and on through the years.  I highly recommend these rallies plus the large International Rallies. 

Herman Mullins could tell you if there are 6 State Rallies in the west, northwest, east etc.

The Pleasureway has all the comforts of home.   Class B has most everything that the Class A has installed, just smaller.   The sink ,shower, and commode is in a   separate, small room.  I'm a member of Pleasureway East club and also Pleasureway West club.  They each have their 3-4 rallies a yr.  These 2 clubs requirements are to own a Pleasureway.

I would be willing to help form a chapter for Class B.   I'm in Texas which would be in the middle of central 6 states area.

Alice Brannen

Alice, welcome to the forum. I bet if you call FMCA at (800) 543-3622 they can help you start a chapter. :D I bet they will be happy to help. Keep us updated and we can steer Class B owners your way.

Bill

Just joined FMCA, looking forward to attending rallies, participating in forums, naturally traveling, etc.  Previously owned a used 2003 Leisure Travel Freedom 2A, 20' for 2 years before buying our current new (bought in Oct. '17) 2016 Renegade Villagio, 25 HAB, Freightliner (Mercedes) chassis, 3 Liter, turbo diesel (DEF is sure a learning curve...).  After getting the warranty 'bugs' worked out (Renegade Corp, dealer in Alvarado, TX and M-B dealer in Arlington, TX are GREAT), we are extremely pleased with the quality, ride, layout and convenience of this B+.  Wife especially likes the separate shower and doesn't mind driving so long as traffic isn't too bad or road too narrow.  Better-half and I with our 2 dogs (rescue mix Black Lab and rescue mix Great Pyrenees) don't waste any time traveling.  Sometime tight fit, especially during thunder storms, which scare dogs, but overall one happy family.  Already with the Villagio, been to So. CA twice, returning to Dallas-area home thru UT and CO.  Sept. '18 went to Nova Scotia, returned thru north of Great Lakes (due to hurricane) and crossing into MO.  Absolutely WONDERFUL, beautiful trip, ready to do it again !!  So, to answer OP, we go often (mostly NOT during winter), and go far.  HAPPY 2019 TO ALL AND MAY GOD BLESS !!

John

Yes, Welcome and Happy New Year!

You could do South Texas in winter and Big Bend National & State Park in Spring! :D

You only have about 850,000 square miles of Texas to play in! :lol: