mweiner

How often and how far do you take out your Class B ? OR, because it's smaller and portable you take it everywhere?

The beauty of having a Class B is that you can literally take it anywhere at any time.. even parking is not too challenging.. 

So, besides being able to take it clear across the USA and back, do you find yourself using it more than you might use a much larger rig?  

Most of us would never consider towing a vehicle behind the Class B's.. just easier to drive our vehicles everywhere we need to go... 

So, how many trips and long distances do you go with your rig? 

WOW, you know this is a Class B discussion.....

I have to ask why are all my discussions answered by Class A owners...

Probably because there's no people out there following Class B rigs on the FMCA forum ... last one I saw besides me was over a year ago....SAD....

Actually, it was May 2017.... last entry by anyone else..... otherwise, NO activity....

Where are all these people??

Mark, I googled class B rv forums, I found a few of them out there, but very little conversation on any of them. Maybe the Class B owners are too busy enjoying their rv's, or just don't like to talk about them.

I personally am glad that you enjoy yours and hope that you have many happy tales and trails in front you and your family with yours. Actually I never have counted it as an RV, but the first conversion that I built, was a 1978 Ford Econoline 150, class B. I had a bed, a sink, and a fridge, all built in. We used it a few times, but with all that weight, it was a gas hog.

Both Sue and I agreed that was not the lifestyle that we wanted, and actually traded it towards a 1987 27 foot Southwind class A. We used that for two years, then got the fever for a much larger diesel pusher, a Sportscoach Cross Country RT, 34 feet, we loved that old coach, but Sue really had the fever and we almost bought a Holiday Rambler Admiral, but that was in 2008 and the bottom had just fallen out, and no one would finance it at the time.

That's when the bus came available on ebay, I bid $5500.00 and won the bid. Had to fly to Baltimore Md., then 300 miles by car to Whitehaven Pa., to drive her home. It was at Evolution Coach for minor repairs, which the owner still owed for at the time, so he paid Evolution out of what I paid him, then I drove  her home. I spent one year going through everything mechanical and made any and every repair that I deemed necessary, then started the build of the tanks, plumbing and electrical, then put all the walls and furniture in place, paying for everything as I went.

This is now five years with no payments and we both love everything about the coach, and would not even consider trading for anything else. There is nothing shoddy, nor elaborate about her, just designed to be comfortable and very roadworthy with all the amenities of home. We keep her stocked with food, water, and appropriate clothing for all seasons, oh yes, fuel at the top of the 156 gallon fuel tank, if we decide to go for a weekend or a month, all that is necessary is to climb aboard, and yes hook up that dreaded old toad, LOL.:rolleyes:

To each, it's own!  I could see the possibilities of using a "B" as a toad.  Would require some re arranging of the interior to carry our golf equipment. :D

Kay, your coach is beautiful and will outlast us all.  It also represent what you want, not what some one else, thinks you should have or want !  Different strokes, different folks! :)

Mark, you sound to me as a person, who might be having second thought's and now are trying desperately, to convince yourself and others, that you did a great thing !  Forget about it, go out and enjoy what you have.  I would be willing to bet, you have not seen 80% of what your own State has to offer! :P 

Carl,

Use as a toad. Now that is not a bad idea. It may be a bit expensive. but not bad. It could be used  for transportation when parked and could go exploring out over night :) or it could be a mother-in-law apartment.  :angry::( But still an idea.

Herman

Glad that I'm not the only one awake through the early-morning hours.

With only 35 feet in length and a pretty tight turning radius, every time we weighed getting a Class B or C against the coach we just couldn't justify the loss of space and comfort. We don't pull a toad, but so far we haven't found places we either couldn't take our rig or get to by Uber/taxi. Sometimes I have to remind myself that our 35-foot coach is actually smaller than most city buses in use today, and they seem to have no problem getting into some pretty tight spaces. I think that parallel parking and ground clearance are our only two big obstacles.

Richard.  Your right.  My only problem is that both Linda and I love getting off the paved or dirt roads and go 4 wheeling in CO, AZ, NM, WY and Montana!  Had a friend who owned a 35' Blue Bird 1985...he did not need a toad either and went all over North and South America! LOL

Herman, we where thinking about 24 to 72 hour side trips that would be more comfortable than the Jeep and more accessible than the 45' coach! LOL, glad you like the thought...not necessarily a Roadtreck as there are several types of "B"'s....think PPL. 

Mark, hopefully the bad weather out there missed you and it's not too cold. Was very cold out on the east coast as it always is this time of year, today broke 50 degrees, which is pretty unusual for SEPA, too bad I just got home from a business trip to Windsor CT. It was 38 cloudy and rainy.

Just in case anyone was wondering when you ask them if Windsor was named after alcohol, they get a bit upset, must be an old joke went over like bad a flatulent in church. The only guy that also found the humor was a guy from Charlotte NC. I like those southerners, now he had a sense of humor and a personality to match. 

Oh...sorry forgot the point of responding I have only been a member for 8-9 years or so, not many B units on here, I'm sure they are out there, perhaps a bit shy? You might want to attend a rally, you could get some face time with those people and make some more friends. DW and I walked into/peaked in a few B's at an RV show Sunday.

Happy trails!

Thank you Joe. In Indianapolis We parked about 15 to 20 Class "B"s. They were all in one area, (at their request and got very angry if we parked any other type of coach there). It was all back ins and very close to the restroom and shower. I am not sure they will have the same luxury in Perry. I don't remember there being any showers there. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. 

Herman

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:21 PM, MWeiner said:

just easier to drive our vehicles everywhere we need to go

Mark, a few things to note that occurred to me the more I thought about this at the RV show. We enjoy setting up our site (chairs, table, patio mat, Grill and smoker etc.) and day tripping around for the day. To hook and unhook the coach re-level, repack the interior so its roadworthy (and we have auto leveling) every time I/We needed something or wanted to leave for the day wound be a monumental task, add poor weather conditions to the table and I would become miserable. That could consume several hours a day of set up and tear down. In addition where would I put all of the stuff I just mentioned above? All of that to save me MPG's is not desirable in our situation, plus you mentioned in another post how hotels came into the equation when cabin fever sets in, my wife is claustrophobic, that in of itself cuts us off from this market.

For me to hook and unhook our Jeep takes me less than 3 minutes, it has to be one of the most simplistic tasks that I do on a trip. The sewer hose takes longer to pull from storage and connect than the Jeep in my situation. Full setup, W/E/S/CATV will take me 15-20 minutes plus the comfort and cooking items mentioned above. Another area of concern is safety, I do not want to worry about my belongings and pets parked at the mall, where ever we are shopping or off adventuring is another reason I wouldn't want our coach with us while day tripping. Then we have had several occasions where locating a parking spot for our Jeep was a problem (ST Augustine FL comes to mind), width and length of the B I looked at would limit that as well.

We literally have ALL of the comforts of home in our coach, from kitchen appliances, bedding, pets the ability to watch different TV shows at night etc....etc....Every season I stock the pantry to a scaled down version of the house and the coach is fully equipped with duplicate appliances, all we pack on a trip is clothing to suite the trip and destination.

As many have mentioned before, the reason the RV market makes so many different floor plans, different size units etc...etc... is to accommodate different camping lifestyles, ours and yours are two examples of how this varies.

I saw them in Perry.  Across from the first 50A area in 2016, Entegra was parked just south...they are in the stock building on outside!  Nice.

We recently joined FMCA and I just saw this forum.  So, now there are at least two class B owners on this string!  We bought ours at the 2017 RV show in Tampa and over the last year have taken one 3,000 mile trip out west as well as numerous weekend trips around the southeast (live in Atlanta area).  Heading to south Florida tomorrow for a long weekend.  My wife and I love it so far...great to drive, easy to park, etc.  I even just take it out occasionally like a big van to Home Depot, etc.  The best part is we can park it in our garage ( I had to raise the door a bit.)  Soon my wife will retire and we can just pick up and go.  My twin has a class A so we have gotten some of those “when are you going bigger” questions but no plans for that.  Hey, we get 18 mpg and you mostly sit outside at the RV parks anyway.  Looking forward to see how many B’s show up in Perry. 

kstockwe,

Welcome to FMCA and the Forum. We had about 20 to 25 in Indianapolis. Hope to have that many in Perry. Will be looking into an area for "B" close to the Shower Facilities. Parking them together is not to segregate them but having the parking close to their needs. When I find out something about the parking I will post it here.

Again, Welcome.

Herman

kstockwe, Welcome! Thank you for chiming in I'm sure Mark will be happy :).

Do class B's have showers, I didn't notice while at the RV show on Sunday?

• kstockwe, welcome to the crowd, thanks for joining FMCA, hope you have many happy tales and trails in your class B. Yes Marc, bottoms up, hic!:rolleyes:
  •  
  •  
  •  

•  

Joe,

Yes, my mom had a shower in her class B (hers did anyway).  It was integral with the toilet and sink.  She closed the toilet lid and showered away!

Blake

I could never get used to shower, brush teeth, and eat breakfast while sitting on the porcelyn throne, LOL.:rolleyes: The class B's that we looked at were equiped that way. I didn't mention shave, I use hedge clippers for that anyway.:wub: