tngleim

House Batteries Not Providing Power. Cannot Get Into Coach.

I'm a newbie RV owner.  I live in Ohio and we've had a bitter cold winter as you may know.  Our coach is stored outside, a 2007 Beaver Contessa 400HP CAT.  It has 2 12V chassis batteries (group 31 Interstate, dated 4/14) and 4 6V house batteries (Lifeline AGM's dated 6/12).  The last time I tried to start it, the chassis batteries cranked but the coach did not want to start so they ran low.  The house batteries were also low due to not having the residential refrigerator unplugged, thats another story.  Anyway,  I brought all them home to charge and they seemed to take the charge ok.  I then re-installed the chassis and house batteries.  I turned on the battery disconnect switch for both chassis and house.  Normally when the house switch is turned I'll hear a little beep indicating there is power.  This time I did not.  The coach has a door handle keyless entry and with no house power, it does not work, hence I cannot get into the coach to even try to start it.  Its one of the fancy door remotes that is a part of a handle that is screwed into the side of the coach to the left of the entry door.  Is it possible there is a non battery issue going on?  I have all 6 batteries out and being tested at a battery store just to rule out it being a battery issue.  I'm not confident that it is a battery issue as the house batteries were all reading around 6.25V when I put them back in the coach.  Any ideas is much appreciated as I am at a loss.

My first call would be to the manufacturer. I can't believe that they didn't build in some type of manual over ride for this, otherwise lots of owners would eventually get locked out. You can't be the first owner that had a a dead battery situation.

Have you tried to connect an external charger and plug it in to get the house system operational? Not sure how to do it on your coach, but there should be a way to do this once you get the batteries back in place.

•  Double check to verify you have them wired correctly. Four 6v batteries should be wired 2 in series then the other two in series. then the two sets wired in parallel to provide your required 12v.
  • Good luck

29 minutes ago, jbell said:
  •  Double check to verify you have them wired correctly. Four 6v batteries should be wired 2 in series then the other two in series. then the two sets wired in parallel to provide your required 12v.
  • Good luck

I agree.  That is the place to start.  Make sure that between the chassis metal (ground) and the large-gauge wire from house battery positive is 12 VDC.

Also, that you did not forget one of the smaller gauge wires.

Welcome to the Forum,

I have the Key-less entry on our coach and when I can't get the door to unlock with the remote or key pad, I just used the key to unlock the door. You can also use a jumper cable to the chassis battery and unlock the door.

If all 6 batteries are fully charged and wired correctly you should not have any problem opening the door. Since you are in Ohio and it is very cold now, might I suggest that you ,if you can, plug in your block heater. Diesel engines are not fond of cold but work well if the heater has been on for several hours.

Good luck and don't be a stranger, let us know what you find.

Herman

tngleim,

We may be able to help you better if you could post a picture of your door set-up with the remote access.  Are you using a key fob to unlock the door or a combination on the grab handle?

Pictures of your battery set-up could help also.  Check voltage once you have your batteries connected.

A couple of things you can check to test if you have 12v power is to turn on your bay lights.  Might also open your fuse compartment and try to push your generator out. We have a remote generator start in the same fuse compartment and one on the generator (if you are able to get it pushed out).

Blake

Key or fob will get you into coach!  I don't remember if Beaver was part off Monaco, If not then there is no factory to call.

Herman.  The block heater is not going to work without power!  I suspect one of the 6V batteries has a bad cell or was not re wired correctly.  That's why I have photos of each step in disconnecting my battery's for each inverter!

On 1/22/2018 at 6:59 PM, hermanmullins said:

,if you can, plug in your block heater. Diesel engines are not fond of cold but work well if the heater has been on for several hours.

Good luck and don't be a stranger, let us know what you find.

Herman

See my quote, and yes Beaver was part of Monaco in 2007.

Herman

On 1/22/2018 at 2:57 PM, tngleim said:

....The coach has a door handle keyless entry and with no house power, it does not work, hence I cannot get into the coach to even try to start it....

I assume by "keyless entry" that means you can use a fob or manually with a key...that's how mine works.  Surely Beaver didn't build a coach without a key.  However, I don't trust the fob, and keep a set of spare door keys in the toad and another set in a magnetized container under the MH.  

FIVE.  Magnetized key holder?  Your a break in waiting to happen!  Every want to be a good thief knows about those.

27 minutes ago, manholt said:

FIVE.  Magnetized key holder?  Your a break in waiting to happen!  Every want to be a good thief knows about those.

Kind of dependent on where it is placed. Not many will look in the engineroom, or on a place on a frame rail that is not visible.

11 minutes ago, manholt said:

Why is the font size a 8?  We saving on computer space?

Carl,

Wonder if this is something on your computer-- my screen still shows all at "normal" size.

Ok Carl I typed this in Word to see what size font I am using to start with. It reports as a 11. Now I will copy and past to the forum and see what it changes it to.

This was not converted by the text editor.

Bill

Ok Carl I typed this in Word to see what size font I am using to start with. It reports as a 11. Now I will copy and past to the forum and see what it changes it to.

This was converted by the editor.  When hi lighted it shows in the drop down (text size ) box to be an 8

So what do you feel we need to do to make it legible for you.

Bill

PS this last is at 24 and I will continue to use it just so you can see:P:o     I have to get back on topic before it drains my house batteries. 

In the computer/IT world, this is considered to be an IDtenT error code.:rolleyes: Sorry for being off topic, just can't help revving Carl every once in a while.:wub: Devil get away!

20 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Kind of dependent on where it is placed. Not many will look in the engineroom, or on a place on a frame rail that is not visible.

It's on the inside of a U shaped frame rail.

Wayne.  The closest to the front door! :D

The rest of you...I'm now on a different computer, 300 miles from my house computer!  I'm now according to the Forum on a 14...see anything different from a 8? :angry: Ha it takes a 22, nothing below except for a 8..:blink:

So sorry, Brett.  I will now return to NORMAL and use osmosis to find out what is going on with OP and his batteries!  Thank you for your patience! :P